“Very good food, creative”

Soul Food Mahanakorn
Ranked #135 of 11,272 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Thai, Fusion
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Thong Lor & Ekamai
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Following the advice of fellow trip advisor geeks, we decided to have dinner there. The location is a bit weird, was a bit far away from our hotel but the trip was worth it and taxis can be found easily. Try the noodles (delicious) but the whole menu is good (we went three times). The chairs are a bit uncomfortable, but who cares, when the service is good and the food is worth it.

Reviewed 11 February 2012

I have to be honest and say that my boyfriend knows the owner so we have been going there since it opened. We've been several times and we have had some up and down meals (mostly from the service side), but overall it's a really good time. I see a lot of people on here saying that the food is not 'Thai'. It may not be tradition in everything, but as a Thai, I think that the important part is that the food is just good. The mieng kam with grilled pork neck is a good example of something that isn't made exactly the same way that we make it here. But I want to order it most times that we go, and when we go with friends, they always like it, wherever they are from. I'm not a big drinker, but they do have somethings I like, and my boyfriend enjoys them. The only thing I wish that they could improve is the consistency of the service. They seem to have gone through a lot of staff, and when it is really busy, it can be kind of slow. Check it out for yourself, you'll probably have a really good time.

Reviewed 1 February 2012

Food here is worth enduring terrible service. The chef has got it all right, wonderful flavour combinations, great presentation and a unique twist on Thai dishes. The service sadly is quite terrible, I have been three times and each time I was very frustrated. It is bold to charge 10% service (a Western standard) but provide sub-par service, i.e. main dishes coming 15-20 minutes afterwards.Additionally, the "strong" cocktails are certainly delicious and unique, but really not so strong and frankly overpriced when many use Sangsom & Mekhong.

The food however, keeps me coming back for more!

Reviewed 23 January 2012

This particular restaurant has received a fair amount of positive press in travel publications since opening, so I thought I would give it a try. The menu was compact and featured some variations on typical Thai dishes with emphasis on fresh ingredients. The serving sizes were a little on the small size but taste was very good, reasonably authentic and high quality raw materials used. The owner personally came to the table to recommend some dishes including a couple "off the menu". Despite being full on Saturday night, all the dishes were promptly delivered by attentive staff.

The Tamarind ribs were particularly delicious.

Some reviewers comment that the food is pricey by local standards; this is true to a point. If you compare to street food or restaurants with plastic stools and plastic plates, this may be the case. However, the restaurant is v.good value when compared with hotel Thai restaurants and other hot venues like Bo.Lan. Also, the tastes have not been adapted to Western taste buds as many other fancier venues. Also, the restaurant is located in Soi Thonglor, one of the most fashionable streets in Thonglor, with real estate prices to match.

The overall atmosphere (we dined downstairs) was international, with a strong contingent of local expats, and a2 smattering of young Thais and visitors. The owner is mainly stationed behind the bars mixing drinks and mingling with customers.

Cocktails are strong and mostly with Asian / Thai ingredients.

3  Thank iprahin
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Found this restaurant through reviews from Tripadvisor and emailed to make a reservation. Response was fast. Noted that the email came back from the owner, a familiar name, Jarrett Wrisley whom after a couple rounds of emails confirmed that it is the same person whom I know from his articles and writings when he lived in Shanghai (on travel and food) and then on magazine articles on similar topics around the region. What a coincidence! Small-ish place and cosy I must say. Atmosphere is definitely better downstairs. Owner came over and checked on us to make sure that our orders had been taken care of and caught up on a few things after he moved from Shanghai to Thailand etc. It was not noisy as some of the reviewers had mentioned and perhaps that because we went earlier as there were supposed to be a couple of big groups booked for later. Definitely make a reservation ahead of time especially weekends. Food was of good quality and extremely fresh and tasty – Must try the Chiangmai sausages together with the dip and side vegetables. Good mix of street food and Thai dishes. Prices are not cheap by Thailand standard but it is not expensive either, especially compared to some of the hotel restaurant prices nowadays.

1  Thank Meowmeow6