“Great location - if you can ever check in”

Anantara Riverside Bangkok Resort
Ranked #24 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Bangkok, Thailand
“Great location - if you can ever check in”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Previously stayed here as Marriott, and I can see the changes....... Check in was a disaster, no one spoke English and my saving grace was a basic amount of Thai. After I eventually managed to get to my room, not exactly clean!!! I decided on a drink at the lovely poor bar - until I see the prices!!! These are ludicrous! I understand a hotel must charge more, but this is boderline theft!

The one redeeming feature of this hotel is the food! Seems this has not changed, with the friendly face of a foreign European chef, German maybe?? sorry I cannot remember, to explain and discuss my needs - thanks again!

Breakfast was good, but something different such as Ice cream or a really good premium cold cut would really make the difference!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank p w
Claudia P, General Manager at Anantara Riverside Bangkok Resort, responded to this review, 12 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am very sorry to read about your arrival experience. As you can imagine this is the opposite of what we want to deliver and strive for. I wish you would give me the opportunity to contact you directly so I could hopefully learn more details about your experience. If so, kindly contact me via cpronk@anantara.com with a convenient day and time that I could get in touch with you.

Warm regards,
Claudia Pronk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,005)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2012

This Hotel combines the best of a Resort with a City location. Excellent open and spacious property, both internally and externally, with a great location on the River, and fantastic restaurants. Staff are attentive and courteous. Frankly, this Hotel review is best summed up in a few words. Its simply the best. Dont waste time staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: Riverside view supplements are wasted. All Rooms are in good locations.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank RollerCoaster999
Widnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2012

We stayed in Bangkok for two weeks. As we thought the Anantara hotel was quite some way down the river we spent the first week in the Lebua Tower Hotel. Although this hotel was nice it could not be compared to Anantara and we regretted not spending our entire holiday there.

The Ananatar is just 15 minute boat ride from the train and public river ferry-it took us almost that time to walk there from the Lebua. We took a taxi from the hotel to the Asia hotel to see the Ladyboy show, it cost 100THB (£2) and that was quite a long way. The taxi fare from the Airport is THB300, + 70 for tolls. Dont let the drivers tell you it is anything more and ensure they put on the meter.

From the moment you arrive in Anantara you are greeted with a warm smile, a cold drink and a cold perfumed hand towel. The room was exactly as it looks on the web site and the service was second to none. The maid would leave a different coloured orchid on our pillow each evening and nothing we asked was too much trouble for her.

We booked a day trip which left the hotel before breakfast, the hotel arranged for us to receive a packed lunch. It turned out to be the only food we ate until after 2pm.

We ate mostly in Trader Vic's the hotel resturant, the food was really good and a nice place to chill and listen to live music. The breakfast was amazing. One of the breakfast waiters actually advised us of really good places to visit - one being the weekend market - fantastic, cheap and everything you could wish for. The pool area is a paradise, warm pool and comfortable loungers. Go for happy hour when drinks are two for one - all the best quality spirits.

Although this was my first visit to Bangkok, my partnet has visited many time before on business. He always stayed in the 5* hotels along the river, including the Shangri-la Hotel. He felt that the Anantara was far superior to any of the hotels he had stayed in before and we both agree that Anantara made our holiday special. Would I stay there again? Without doubt, we intend to spend two weeks there before the end of the year - Bangkok is amazing, from the trips along the canal to the elephant rides. I guarantee you too will have a holiday of a life time!

Room Tip: We asked for a room overlooking the river on a high floor and that is what we got. It is lovely to...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank murphy4609
bangalore
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Our first trip to Bangkok, we got the rooms as soon as we reached the hotel even though our check in time was 2 pm. We had initial problems with the room plumbing and ac but these were resolved very quickly and efficiently. The boat trips were very nice. The buffet spread was really good at breakfast. I wish the hotel also has a free shuttle into the city. The only negative bit is the distance from the city and thus the extra money we had to spend on taxis. There were DVD's and a player in the room all free so we enjoyed some good movies as well

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Claudia P, General Manager at Anantara Riverside Bangkok Resort, responded to this review, 6 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments. We are very happy that you had a great stay with us and of course hope to welcome you back in the near future. There is just one thing I would like to clarify since we do offer a free shuttle boat service from our resort to the Saphan Taksin Pier at the BTS skytrain station to facilitate going into the city. I am so sorry that you were not aware of this.
Once again, hopefully your visits bring to you Bangkok and to the Anantara Bangkok Riverside Resort & Spa again, we would be very pleased to welcome you back.

Claudia Pronk
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Just stayed at the Anantara for the third time. I stayed last year when it was the Marriott.

The resort is still as lovely as ever. Nothing much has changed. The grounds are beautiful, the setting very peaceful alongside the river. If you want to be away from the hustle and bustle of bangkok, then this is perfect. There is a shopping center just behind the hotel where you can get most things you need. There are a few resteraunts too.

The staff are very professional, friendly and helpful. We stayed in the Deluxe Premier Riverfront room (the new updated rooms on the southblock). These rooms are more expensive than the Deluxe Riverfront rooms but worth it. I stayed in the non updated rooms last year and although they were nice enough, they were in need of a refurb, particularly the bathrooms which were terribly dated. The bathrooms in the new Deluxe Premier Riverfront rooms are really modern and luxurious. The only thing that let the room down was there was no tables and chairs on the balcony which I thought was odd. (Last year when it was the Marriott every room had one) Most people I would've thought would want to sit and relax on the balcony and take in the fantastic view? We complained and asked for 2 chairs and a table, and were given them very shortly, which I thought was good service.

The only gripe I had about this hotel is the price of eating and drinking at the hotel. Yes I know you always pay more at a hotel, I was prepared for that. But by the time they add on the tax and service charge it came to another 17% on top of the bill which made it really expensive for Thailand.

The breakfast at the hotel are excellent. The choice is good and the quality of the food excellent.

If you fancy playing tennis at the hotel, they have a couple of courts on top of the car park. I played each day with the hotel `knocker`, (sorry I can't remember his name), but I really recommend him and he was a lovely guy.

So, overall, I would definately recommend this hotel. It has a really dreamy, relaxing feel on the river in beautiful grounds.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sweetpeakirk
Reviewed 28 April 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the Riverside resort and had a really great experience. The hotel staff is more than friendly and very helpful. The restaurants are very good and we can certainly tip the faboulus brunch buffet on sunday with sushi, lobster, steak, French cheeses and more!

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Pastoor
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2012

This is our first trip to Thailand and the stay at the hotel was great. Decoration, attractiveness, staff assistance and dining all get 10/10. Kids menu available at all the restaurants, kids club and baby sitting services at a very reasonable 250THB per hour (approx £5.00).
We upgraded to a riverside view room - Great views but we never ventured out unto the balcony due to a fear of mosquito attacks. The upgrade included a discount of 1000THB per night off dining at any of the hotels restaurants. Staff were incredibly polite and falling over themselves to make our stay pleasant.

Complementary boat shuttle service to local skytrain station meant that the main shopping malls are easily accessible. Taxi service around Bangkok is also very reasonable.

I cant recommend this hotel enough. The only negative is the expensive dining.

Room Tip: Upgrade to riverside view, not really for the views but for any available discounts to dining at the...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family