“True Thai Hospitality”

Ranked #23 of 867 Hotels in Bangkok
Vancouver
“True Thai Hospitality”
Reviewed 20 May 2012

My husband and I returned to the Anantara Riverside Resort in Bkk. (formerly The Marriott). This is paradise, warm and welcoming Thai hospitality in this beautiful riverside property. The rooms have been renovated to a modern comfortable style but maintain the elegant Thai flavor. The breakfast continues to be spectacular and the baked goods are irrisistable. I was not feeling well upon arrival having had some unexpected dental work. A few hours later a beautiful bouquet of flowers arrived from the front desk manager, K. Kritya on behalf of the hotel! Every time I look at them I feel better.

If you come to Bkk. This is the place to stay, a resort within the city. After a day exploring, the tender from the wharf will give you a short river cruise with chilled towels and cold water, another wonderful part of Anantara hospitality.

We will be back again and again....

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,040)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Anantara is Bangkok is great- competent staff, great location on the river, plenty of food options, and great value for money in terms of accommodation. We stayed in a basic room, which was really nice, but decided to stay in Bangkok longer, and moved to a suite. The suite is more like a small apartment, and is quite spacious, with its own kitchen and dining room separate from the living room and bedroom.

We happened to stay while a large conference was also happening, so on one of the days, there was a strange thing where we kept getting shuffled from one place to the next on the rather large grounds, in the heat, only to be sent somewhere else because the place was closed or closing for the large party. Hot and tired of walking around, we gave up on finding food completely but ordered room service instead, which was great. Another afternoon we ordered two drinks and some salads at happy hour and I think they were slammed, because we only got one and getting the check worked out was painful. This doesn't seem to be the norm, however... only seemed to happen on conference days when the hotel was at or over capacity.

The buffet breakfast is pretty amazing as far as included breakfasts go- a huge variety and a lot of it! Iced lemongrass tea, mmmm. As far as the other food, there are some chains represented- Beni Hana and Tracer Vics being two. We went for the Thai restaurant instead, and that was pretty good.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank xstala
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 16 May 2012

My stay at the Anantara Riverside was amazing, from the moment I checked in until I was in a cab back to the airport. The grounds are beautiful, including an excellent pool area. Restaurants and bar areas offer a ton of options for food and drink, including some of the most beautiful settings you'll find in Bangkok. The breakfast buffet offers indoor or outdoor seating options, and a wide array of foods to suit any preferences you might have.

I was a bit worried that I would feel isolated with the resort being located across the Chao Phraya from most of what Bangkok has to offer, but quickly found out that this wasn't an inconvenience at all. The hotel provides a shuttle boat across the river every half hour, dropping you at the Saphan Taksin BTS station. The boat was kind of a neat way to see a bit of the river, and the staff hands out ice towels to keep you cool in the ridiculous heat. The boat will also take you across to Asiatique in the evening, one of Bangkok's newest night markets.

The service at this hotel is absolutely incredible - I can't say enough about how friendly, courteous, and helpful the staff is! Everyone smiles, and they go out of their way to make you feel valued. I had a late flight out of Bangkok, and they allowed me to stay in my room until 3pm, and then stored my bags and allowed me to use all of the hotel's amenities including the gym and showers until it was time for me to leave.

My room was spotlessly clean, the bathroom was fantastic (great fixtures), and there was a small balcony to look out over the Chao Phraya on. They do charge for in-room internet (one of my pet peeves - so many hotels offer free internet that it drives me nuts when properties, especially expensive ones, charge for it), but they do offer some free internet options in public areas.

Attached to the hotel (just walk across the driveway on the ground floor) is a little shopping centre which offers some more restaurants, a few shops, and an excellent little massage place. Your options there are not as luxurious as the ones on the property, but it does help in offering a bit of variety if you're staying at Anantara for a few days or more.

Overall, the Anantara Riverside exceeded my expecations. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing getaway in the middle of the madness of Bangkok! I am sure I will return to this property in the future.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Sky_Traveler
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 15 May 2012

There are no words to describe how perfect our stay was. I wish we had been able to stay longer and enjoy even more of their hospitality. Everyone was helpful, smiling and anticipating our every need.
There are several on site restaurants, all with wonderful service and great food.
Breakfast is an amazing buffet with everything imaginable.
And the gym is perfect for working off those extra calories!
We will definately be going back to Anantara!

Room Tip: Splurge if you can for the Anantara Suite. It is a corner room with riverside views. Wonderful!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DaisyJ61
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Me and my new wife spent 5 nights at the anantara riverside in Bangkok for the start of our honeymoon. The service was amazing and we were treated very well by all staff. Everyone was friendly, helpful and polite, we were made to feel very welcome. As soon as we arrived we were taken straight to our room as the hotel knew we had just flown in. We were treated with a welcome drink of fruit juice, a cake and a card to wish us a happy honeymoon.

The food is ok, if maybe a little overpriced, the pool at the pool side bar is perfect for lunch as is the all you can eat pizza and pasta on Thursday's (if you need a break from Thai food).

Drinks are pricey but this is expected at a hotel.

The location isn't great as it is quite a journey into the city, however a shuttle boat runs every half hour to the nearest sky train station.

In summary this hotel is perfect if you don't mind the journey into the city. Very clean and very modern looking inside, wonderful staff and great service. We will return if we are back in Bangkok and will recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank Foafgringo
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Previously stayed here as Marriott, and I can see the changes....... Check in was a disaster, no one spoke English and my saving grace was a basic amount of Thai. After I eventually managed to get to my room, not exactly clean!!! I decided on a drink at the lovely poor bar - until I see the prices!!! These are ludicrous! I understand a hotel must charge more, but this is boderline theft!

The one redeeming feature of this hotel is the food! Seems this has not changed, with the friendly face of a foreign European chef, German maybe?? sorry I cannot remember, to explain and discuss my needs - thanks again!

Breakfast was good, but something different such as Ice cream or a really good premium cold cut would really make the difference!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank p w
Claudia P, General Manager at Anantara Riverside Bangkok Resort, responded to this review, 12 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am very sorry to read about your arrival experience. As you can imagine this is the opposite of what we want to deliver and strive for. I wish you would give me the opportunity to contact you directly so I could hopefully learn more details about your experience. If so, kindly contact me via cpronk@anantara.com with a convenient day and time that I could get in touch with you.

Warm regards,
Claudia Pronk
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2012

This Hotel combines the best of a Resort with a City location. Excellent open and spacious property, both internally and externally, with a great location on the River, and fantastic restaurants. Staff are attentive and courteous. Frankly, this Hotel review is best summed up in a few words. Its simply the best. Dont waste time staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: Riverside view supplements are wasted. All Rooms are in good locations.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business