“Staff Fantastic”

Ranked #133 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Orpinton
“Staff Fantastic”
Reviewed 15 March 2012

We recently spent 3 nights at this hotel. The staff were the most courteous we have ever encountered. They were extremely helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The restaurants we visited were beautifully furnished with the service and food excellent. The prices for both food and alcohol were very reasonable especially for such a high quality hotel. The bedrooms were a good size but my only criticism was that the bed was too firm !
The decor of the hotel was superb. Would recommend to all travellers

siamcity, Manager at The Sukosol, responded to this review, 23 September 2012
Dear WallyowlOrpinton,

Thank you so much for the rave review. It’s really gratifying to hear that you enjoy your stay at our hotel.

We are particularly pleased to hear that our staff impressed you and that we were able to deliver world-renowned Thai service with heart and aplomb. Also great to know that our rooms and cuisine met with you satisfaction :-)

Our hotel is known for being quite artistic as the owners have a love and flair of antique collecting and decorating. We are glad to know you appreciated our superior surrounds. We have recently renovated our lobby and now have 500+ pieces of museum-quality artifacts from around South-East Asia on display for the public’s viewing pleasure.

We hope to have you back with us again soon.

Ms C.Rafferty
Corporate Communications Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai, India
Reviewed 14 March 2012

The location of the hotel is very good.This is the only strong positive point about the hotel.The rooms are average.the food is average.the staff is ok.From Bangkok Airport you cn take express line to Paya Thai station.the hotel is about 4 mins walk from Paya thai station.The hotel is a good option only if you are looking to spend entire day shopping or exploring Bangkok. Hotel has 2 building one old wing and a new wing.the rooms in old wing are below average.so remember to ask for rooms only in new wing.the Breakfast is elaborate.the local traveling is convienet from this hotel as you are close to Paya thai station and sky train.

Room Tip: Ask for room in the New wing.these rooms are bigger and better
Perth
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We were recommended this hotel by the travel agent but it was the worst one during the whole trip. It started already in the lobby where the hotel staff demanded several credit cards before we could check in. We said we didnt have to give them anything since our entire trip was pre paid. After arguing for a long time we got to talk to the manager, but that was like trying to talk to a brick wall and he couldn't see anything wrong with debiting our card for imaginary bills.

In the end we got to check in and thought that ok, its alright, we can avoid this during our stay... til we got to our room. At first glance it was nice but I didnt expect to find the previous guests toothbrushes, hair, soap and other things in the bathroom. So... we call the reception and tell them and get informed that if we want to (want to??) they can swing by in a few hours and clean our room... Few hours? From a 5-star hotel I expect it to be clean when I check in!!

In the morning we had an early start and left for the breakfast buffet at 7, when it were to start... only to find the restaurant empty.. took us 20 minutes to find someone to cook the brekkie... at a five star hotel. During the evening the bar staff didnt understand English and messed up our orders... Everything was just like a farce :D

When we pointed out all of these mistakes to the management, there was no response at all. I didnt want anything, just an apology and correct the mistake but it was like they didnt even care. I only have to say never again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RoseAnna74
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We arrived very late and being first timers in Thailand was nervous and not knowing what to expect was pleasantly surprised we were warmly welcomed by door staff reception staff everyone was excellent, breakfast was great we were still so tired and needed that nice big breakfast to get us going. break fast staff were soooo friendly lots of smiles and looking happy to be there. while waiting to go out we used the pool area which we thought was great we would defiantly bring our kids back to this hotel. Good distance to lots of attractions and what we couldn't find staff helped us with any questions we had. We went on to Phuket and Phi Phi Don after here and did not have staff to this quality in the other places we stayed. Yes they were doing construction but we were not affected by this at any time, counter behind reception was bit messy (not sure if it was because of renos?) but this did not affect us either, we asked for a electricity convertor and they sent one to our room before we got back to it, our safe had a issue it wouldnt open someone came up with in a few minutes...

Had no issues would stay there again sometimes I think even if hotel has some faults but the staff do not it is worth the stay will stay here again

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 10 March 2012

The lobby is unimpressive and this is so of much of the old building. However the rooms in the adjoining new building are clean and functional. It was very strange to be asked to walk with my luggage to the adjoining building along the road! As I later discovered, you can connect to the new adjoining building by walking through the restaurant and across the covered walkway.

• Stayed February 2012
Tarnowskie Gory, Poland
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Hotel is beautiful easily accessible by public transportation (which is better, cleaner and faster than what I have used in the US).

Upon checkin the lady told me I never paid for my reservation. I told her I did and gave her a copy of my receipt from the place I booked online. She tried to convince me otherwise so I gave her my credit card and said that if I have two charges my AMEX hates fraud and will kick it off so I dont care. I knew I had paid because I saw it on my bill 2 months ago when I booked it, but we were tired and wanted to go lay down. She put a 10,000 Baht hold on my card for incidentals I was ok with that because I paid with amex. I got a call 1 hr after I checked in apparently they found our original payment so they didn't charge us. Didn't appreciate that experience as I knew that was the situation from the beginning.

Room was great we didn't have an updated room but it was big and got the job done, we werent at the hotel to stay in the room the whole day. AC worked great, bathroom was big and clean, room was not updated but adequate my girlfriend didn't take her shoes off because she said the carpet looked dirty but I thought it was fine.

The pool was big, and spacious. It was great for a dip after a long day on your feet.

Everything inside the hotel is expensive and can be had for cheaper if you are willing to explore outside the walls of the hotel. Ie/ Massages / Spa services, Food, Etc.

If you are waiting on the steps outside you will be harassed by everyone, it was seriously so annoying, staff were trying to get us on a longtail boat ride, people from parked cabs were approaching us asking us if we wanted a cab every 10 seconds it was so annoying. The worst part was people who worked at the hotel were trying to secretly arrange long tail boat rides so they could obviously make some sort of cut. Everyone is trying to get into your pocket in bangkok It's very obvious and gets annoying after a few hours.

Overall - The city was great, the hotel was awesome, they people in Bangkok that approached us were always trying to swindle us, take us on tuk tuks to suit shops, take us on some sort of journey it was super annoying. This hotel allowed me to see what I wanted to see in Bangkok and was cheap and good quality we felt safe and our stuff was safe.

I won't return to bangkok but enjoyed what I did see and the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 6 March 2012

The location is good, nearby skytrain. It is easy to go everywhere and come back to take a rest. Hotel staffs are friendly and courteous. I really love its Thai restaurant, Spice & Rice Thai-Halal, which offers delicious food and nice service. Room is clean and comfortable. The only thing makes me feel inconvenient is hotel is under renovation, including public area such as lobby. However, I believe that after renovation, this hotel would be perfect for both business or leisure customers to stay here.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends