“Perfect peaceful base for exploring this hectic city!”

Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside
Ranked #136 of 863 Hotels in Bangkok
London, UK
“Perfect peaceful base for exploring this hectic city!”
Reviewed 19 January 2012

My husband and I stayed here a couple of weeks ago for the first 3 nights of our honeymoon travelling around Thailand. The hotel was perfect for our needs: in a wonderful location surrounded by little local streets with friendly food sellers where you can taste the great street food of Thailand. We liked the fact that there weren't lots of other hotels nearby: exploring the little sois at lunchtime, we were the only 'farang' around, and everyone was very friendly.

Hotel free boat shuttle is great, running every half hour to and from the Saphan Thaksin pier, where you can change onto the Skytrain or local boat-buses, to explore the whole city easily and cheaply.

The breakfast buffet was BRILLIANT! absolutely loads of choice of both western and asian dishes (including indian and chinese too, along with japanese and thai). Lovely dining room overlooking the bustling Chao Phraya river.

We had dinner at the hotel on the first night, in the Terrace restaurant. It was nice thai food but pricey compared to the cheap tasty treats you can buy on the streets behind the hotel.

The pool area was very clean and relaxing after a hot day sightseeing. Sunbathers beware: the pool is always in the shade, but you can catch some rays up on the riverside.

Over all we would really recommend this hotel as a decent base in Bangkok. The service was excellent, the food good and the communal areas very nicely decorated. However, in our opinion it is a solid 4 star hotel, but not a 5* luxury hotel as they try to market themselves. The rooms are very clean and smart, but do look a little dated and as such it is not a true 5* hotel. But if you're happy with this, then it's a great choice.

Couple of tips about Bangkok, if you're only there for a couple of days before heading south/north to explore the country:

- The Grand Palace is really stunning and worth a visit despite the tourist hordes.
- Also make sure you get a thai massage at Wat Po temple, a real experience!
- Be brave: use the river boat-buses and the crazy little canal boats too, to avoid the dreadful road traffic.
- We didn't think Jim Thompson's House was much worth a visit, other than for the experience of riding on one of the busy little canal boats...

Room Tip: Go for a river view, great t wake up to the sight of massive barges and tiny longtail boats ploughin...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BowGirlLondon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Lancaster
Reviewed 16 December 2011

The staff at the Ramada Menam were so pleasant and helpful and added to the pleasant surroundings. We had a riverside view room which also overlooked the pool; it was modern, clean and quite luxurious. Breakfast was an extensive international menu ranging from local to European, Indian and healthy eating choices. Positioned on the river, just a tuc -tuc ride away from all the attractions. Great choice at a competitive price.

Room Tip: Riverside is great
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Audandjohn
Alexandroupoli, Greece
Reviewed 7 December 2011

Stayed in Ramada Plaza Menam Riverside end of Nov.2011 for 3 nights. It is a nice, stylish, modern hotel, respecting the Thai and Bangkok tradition. With a nice pool and restaurant, it will definitely be a good choice for you! Well located, close to most touristic attraction, Ramada Hotel is a choice to discover.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LondonEyeLovers
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 November 2011

by a defective shower head and knocked onto the sharp tile edge of the tub. A shower head which could have never stayed in place properly by design, which any responsible housekeeping staff would have noticed and reported to have fixed and the room not rented until it was.

Did anybody ask if I needed medical attention? No. Ok, at 6:00 am the night manager is not the best. At 9:00 there is only the Front Office manager. No rooms manager. GM comes at noon.

The dozens of little insects running across the front of my desk notwithstanding, this is a 5-star hotel???

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Roamingx
klaus_sennik, Manager at Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside, responded to this review, 23 December 2011
Dear Mr. Roamingx,

Thank you very much for sparing your valuable time to provide us feedback via TripAdvisor.com after your recent stay here at Ramada Plaza Menam Riverside Bangkok. We always appreciate having our guests bring to our attention what has not met with their expectations.

I have also read with concern your experience getting injured in the shower which I must apologize for most sincerely again. This issue had been immediately rectified by our Front Office & House-keeping Department. Also myself rushed to the scene after my return from the German Embassy and met you at the bathroom to apologize profoundly.

While it is our policy to provide the best service we can, obviously there are areas that need improvement. We must thank you for the comments you have made while also apologizing for the unacceptable experience you have had.

On that note and as a gesture of my concern, we would like to invite you to stay with us again the next time you are traveling to Bangkok. Please, when you have your dates arranged, drop me an email with your dates and we will most certainly take care of the rest.

Once again, our most sincere apologies and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Klaus Sennik
Hotel Manager
London
Reviewed 21 November 2011

My stay at the Ramada Menam was definitely one of the highlights of my excursion to Bangkok.
The hotel had an effortless style and an elegant atmosphere from the moment you are greeted at the entrance. We were given the option to upgrade to a suite for a fee during the check-in process and we were glad we agreed as the additional living room added a much more relaxed feeling to the holiday. I recommend trying the afternoon tea which definitely added a bit of sophistication to the week.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank BlacklabelUK
Bangkok
Reviewed 21 November 2011

This is a review of my one (1) night stay on the 19SEP11 at the Ramada Plaza Menam Riverside (Menam)

==> Hotel/Location:
The Menam has actually been around for a number of years before being acquired by the Ramada Hotels group and being re-branded.

It’s a full-service 4-star hotel with about 500+/- total rooms spread out over the uppermost 12 floors. Natural, rooms come in all the standard arrangements from the basic twin/deluxe room, all the way to multi-room suites; and everything in between.

The hotel itself sits directly on the water front and more than 50% of the rooms have either direct or angled-views of the river itself. The building is shaped like the letter “U” with the open end facing to the river.

As a full service hotel, they naturally have the full range of amenities including a very nice, open air pool with pool-side dining and drinks available, attached Jacuzzi and sun loungers, several restaurants serving local, Asian, and international foods, two in-house bakeries, bars/lounges, a very well equipped and recently refurbished gym, health club, spa with massage, full business center, and plenty of free uncovered parking.

One of their restaurants is the only Bangkok location of the famous Hong Kong Ah Yat Abalone Forum Restaurants. This restaurant is a favorite with the Thai-Chinese local community and is popular for their dim sum lunch and evening parties.

One thing of note, that is not as common as one might hope, this hotel is in fact nearly completely ADA (disability) access equipped. There are larger entrance doors, ramps, and other modification to make movement for those with mobility-limitations easier.

The hotel appears to be well maintained and in good repair. During my stay I did not see things out of order/service, unclean or in disrepair. The hotels General Manager is a non-Thai resident manager and most of the hotels departmental leadership are Thai nationals.

==> Lobby/Check-in:
I’m a local Bangkok-resident so staying at the Menam for me is close-to-home “getaway” break. On this visit I drove to the hotel. Upon arriving at the main entrance my bags were taken from my car and tagged with my name. The bellman offered to park my car, but as the lot was very empty, I just parked myself.

The check-in process is, in my opinion, one of the most elegant parts of the entire stay.

After entering the building, you are shown to a peaceful sitting area furnished with several leather lounge chairs, a long leather sofa and with daily newspapers and magazines to read.

Less than a minute later, a front-desk staff member comes with a lacquer presentation and serving tray, with a glass of cold grape juice and a cold towel (much like the Japanese “oshibori” service).

As they place the lacquer tray on the table in front of me, I am politely asked for my name, my passport, and my credit card for an initial authorization.

About five minutes later, the same employee returns with my passport, credit card and my hotel folio with room assignment. She then accompanies me to the elevator and to my room and does the room presentation and familiarization herself. My bags follow less than five minutes later by the bell staff.

==> My Room:
I was assigned a deluxe room on the15th floor and had a river/pool-view.

My room was fitted with one queen-sized bed and was very, very comfortable. Normally in Asia beds are on the firm to very firm side, this bed was the idea balance of softness and firmness.

The television was a new flat-screen with full international channels and movies. There is a very nice, full-sized work desk with excellent work chair and lighting, lots of additional electrical outlets for your gadgets. It also had two small sitting chairs and one small table for relaxing.

The windows were wall-to-wall and provided a great view of the pool below as well as the Chao Phraya River. The curtains/drapes were good, but not true ‘black-out’ drapes- so light-sensitive sleepers should be aware.

There was a fully stocked mini-bar and free self-serve coffee and tea service. The closet had multiple hangars, bath robes, and room slippers.

The room décor is set in cool browns tones, and accented with natural wood colors. The bathroom tile is a nice granite-like finish. The entire room lighting and electronics can also be controlled via the master control module located at the bedside.

In the evening, there is a complimentary turn-down service as well.

==> Bathroom:
The bathroom was divided into two rooms or parts; sink/toilet is which about 65% of the total bathroom space, and actual shower/tub areas which is the smaller remaining 35% of the space. They are separated by a sliding solid wood door to allow for privacy.

The sink toilet area is very spacious and very modern; with more than enough counter space. It was equipped with a new designer style toilet, designer style sink, built-in hair dryer, fog-free make-up mirror and full set of pre- and post-bath toiletries branded with the Ramada name.

The shower/tub side is the smaller of the two “rooms”. Inside the space is a wall-mounted shower unit, and immediately next to it is the full-sized soak tub. The water pressure from both the shower and tub units was excellent; strong pressure and the hot water ran very hot in just a few seconds.

Everything in my room and bathroom was cleaned- spotlessly and in perfect repaid.

==> Hotel facilities and Amenities:
The hotel has all the amenities you’d expect from a 4- to 5- star hotel. The pool is beautiful and very large. It’s in the center of the hotel area but receives plenty of direct sunlight. There are lots of sun deck chairs and loungers. There are a number of restaurants including a riverside café where the daily breakfast buffet is served.

One of the more impressive features of the hotel is their gym and spa. The hotel gym is on the 3rd floor and overlooks the pool area and river in the distance.

It’s very well equipped, with many pieces of new, top-rate equipment like treadmills, exercise bikes, cardio equipment, weight machines, yoga area and a decent set of free weights. You can easily do a legitimate and full workout here no problems. The gym is well maintained, cooled nicely by air-con and has TV and radio available. There’s even a cold drinking water unit and towel service inside the gym.

==> SUMMARY:
Bangkok is awash in 4- and 5- star properties and has all the usual ‘high’ end names like the Mandarin Oriental, Shangri-La and the like. I will also say that when I personally think of Ramada I don’t automatically think of them in the class as a Shangri-La, BUT, in this case, this hotel, the Menam is a VERY serious contender and can compare very favorably to any other 4- star property in the city.

The property is well maintained, staff are excellent, the service it top notch and the amenities like the gym and pool are clearly like you’d find in 5-star hotel.

At the price point that I paid, this hotel to me represents an EXCELLENT value and I’d have no issues returning.

==>Ratings:
** Overall: 5/5: A VERY good all-around 4-star property with no real deficiencies.

** Cleanliness & Value: 5/5: You can't beat this place in terms of value-- my room was a bargain and everything in my room was near spotlessly clean and in excellent repair. The furnishings are befitting a 5-star hotel

** Rooms/Sleep Quality/Service: 5/5: Slept well in the beds. Shower was fantastic. Loved the gym and pool- I could spend hours there, and the staff are unfailing pleasant and will to help.

** Location: 4/5: Directly on the river. There’s not a whole lot of tourist value that is within reasonable walking distance, but the hotel does operate a free shuttle boat that takes you to the nearest Skytrain station. To be fair, the location also means it has great views (riverside) and being a little away from the main areas also means less congestion.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank GOPBI
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 November 2011

This hotel had a webcam on their entrance, pool area and the Chao Phraya River during the floods (available on their Facebook page), which was a huge relief for us! The people at the Ramada were exceptionally welcoming, friendly and happy to help us 'first time visitors' to Bangkok. They organised a taxi for a day to show us the sights of their amazing city, gave us free afternoon tea vouchers (high tea, and beautifully served), and even provided breakfast packs when we left for day tours before their buffet breakfast. As many people had cancelled due to the floods, we were upgraded into one of their magnificent Executive Suites, where we were pampered to the extreme. The pool is lovely, the service exceptional, and I can't praise this hotel enough for making our stay with them so wonderful!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 15th floor, overlooking the city, but there are river view rooms available.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple