All reviews rooms are basic budget hotel swimming pool bangkok institution no lift fourth floor hotel pool central bangkok laundry service busy city thai food skytrain station foyer anong hammocks pets soi
Reviewed January 25, 2012

This hotel has a special atmosphere and lots of character, but it depends on what you are looking after.This place is serene and really authentic.My last trip in Bangkok was in October and December, before and after my trip in Myanmar.I would certainly say the hotel was value for money.Comfortable bed, clean room, wifi in the foyer, a tropical garden around the swimming pool and a good restaurant.The staff was friendly and helpful.I really enjoyed my stay here and would go back if I am ever in Bangkok again.The location isn't too bad , a little out of the way, but it's about five minutes walk from Ploenchit station.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank LELIA B
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Nice hotel for that price in bangkok. Swimming pool around a quiet garden. Very good restaurant. Ask for renovated bathroom. I recommend this place. we will go again next month to go back in europe via bangkok.

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank M M
Reviewed January 18, 2012

This place has the most personality out of all the hotels I've ever been to and you get a whole lot more than you pay for. Provided you are not a snob or a spoilt brat, you will be absolutely thrilled to stay here (if they let you in that is). Great staff , location, food, atmosphere, facilities. Rooms are spartan but who cares when you're in Bangkok and you have a balcony overlooking the city for 9 dollars a night..

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Rubia1975
Reviewed January 12, 2012

If you are looking for modern bathrooms, nice linens, bedside reading lamps, and modern touches, DON'T COME HERE. The appeal of this hotel is difficult to describe but we have returned 3 times. The lobby is wonderful art deco, and the secluded (1950's era) pool in a lush garden, a delight. The restaurant is cheap and fantastic. Upon registering you are met with a delicious fruit smoothy, tropical plants, and interesting artifacts identifying famous patrons from the past. It has an atmosphere. We were greeted with hugs, by one of the ladies in the dining room when we returned this year. The people who work here ar lovely.

The bedrooms are spartan, the plumbing and bathrooms ancient, the linens minimal, but then, it is very inexpensive for its central Bangkok location. We love it, our daughter and son-in-law hated it. There is plenty to complain about but you are not allowed "at these prices". Still, it is another "experience" another "story" to tell.

If you go, look on the dining room wall for the photo of the King of Thailand, Duke Ellington, and Louis Armstrong playing music together, with the young George Bush (sr.) looking on.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hoppiewanderer
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Repeat visit - arrived without a reservation as I could not be bothered to find a fax machine in Vientiane, crossed my fingers and was offered a choice of air-con or fan room.

While waiting for the room to be ready, I ate a humongous breakfast in the lovely coffee shop, swam in the lovely pool and had lunch with a friend. I love this place. Where else can you get a squeaky-clean room with air-con AND a pool as well as bags of character for about £12?

This hotel is not a boutique or luxury place, though. The rooms are very simple, my shower was a bit cool, but it is clean and quite quaint in its simplicity. You may find yourself spending most time in town, or in the communal areas. They have subscriptions to all major newspapers as well as some rather intellectual magazines, as well as books, a map table, writing tables, a very impressive classic library and a lightbox for negatives... it's lovely just sitting in the writing room with a few old-fashioned letters or postcards, or reading a paper cover to cover over fruit shakes or excellent coffee.

I note that the place seems to have had a good scrub since my last visit - it seems a lot tidier, but their prices and attitude have remained the same. You won't get the service orientated attitude but genuine smiles, and I found everyone at the hotel very friendly. And I rather love the cats and the quirky characters that congregate in the lobby. And where else would you have giant hammocks by the pool and a bell to order yet more drinks?

I love it, and it's the classiest AND cheapest place to stay in Bangkok. This hotel has real style and attitude - they will not tolerate sex tourists, they only accept people whom they see as decent and non-troublemakers, and they play classical music only. And their coffee shop menu is the most annotated menu I have ever seen, boasting a never-ending list of Thai Vegetarian dishes. And while you are there, do not miss Charles Henn's Book of Rules - its proudly displayed in the lobby.

Booking is by fax only - a bit cumbersome although they have started accepting phonecalls for last-minute bookings - but that ensures that those who want convenience look elsewhere. Whoever is complaining about this classy budget hotel, please go somewhere else and leave it to those who really appreciate its quirky, olde-worlde charm.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo