All reviews rooms are basic budget hotel swimming pool bangkok institution no lift fourth floor hotel pool central bangkok laundry service busy city thai food skytrain station foyer anong hammocks pets soi
Reviewed February 7, 2012

I have been travelling to Bangkok since 1973, I have often thought about staying here before. However I had heard some bad reviews on my travels (probably from people who have never stayed at the place) and stayed away. What a mistake I made! However I thought that it would be worth a try after reading the good reviews here. As a result I enjoyed two excellent nights at the Atlanta last week. Charming and elegant facilities, great service, wonderful food and fantastic value to boot it was the highlight of my six week trip to Thailand. I am sure it is not to everyones taste, it is in no way like any other hotel that I have stayed in, quite unique and by no means perfect. If you are prepared to accept a few discomforts along with all the history then you will enjoy it (that is if they let you stay there!)

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a refurbished bathroom if you can.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank marianman
Reviewed January 25, 2012

This hotel has a special atmosphere and lots of character, but it depends on what you are looking after.This place is serene and really authentic.My last trip in Bangkok was in October and December, before and after my trip in Myanmar.I would certainly say the hotel was value for money.Comfortable bed, clean room, wifi in the foyer, a tropical garden around the swimming pool and a good restaurant.The staff was friendly and helpful.I really enjoyed my stay here and would go back if I am ever in Bangkok again.The location isn't too bad , a little out of the way, but it's about five minutes walk from Ploenchit station.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank LELIA B
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Nice hotel for that price in bangkok. Swimming pool around a quiet garden. Very good restaurant. Ask for renovated bathroom. I recommend this place. we will go again next month to go back in europe via bangkok.

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank M M
Reviewed January 18, 2012

This place has the most personality out of all the hotels I've ever been to and you get a whole lot more than you pay for. Provided you are not a snob or a spoilt brat, you will be absolutely thrilled to stay here (if they let you in that is). Great staff , location, food, atmosphere, facilities. Rooms are spartan but who cares when you're in Bangkok and you have a balcony overlooking the city for 9 dollars a night..

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Rubia1975
Reviewed January 12, 2012

If you are looking for modern bathrooms, nice linens, bedside reading lamps, and modern touches, DON'T COME HERE. The appeal of this hotel is difficult to describe but we have returned 3 times. The lobby is wonderful art deco, and the secluded (1950's era) pool in a lush garden, a delight. The restaurant is cheap and fantastic. Upon registering you are met with a delicious fruit smoothy, tropical plants, and interesting artifacts identifying famous patrons from the past. It has an atmosphere. We were greeted with hugs, by one of the ladies in the dining room when we returned this year. The people who work here ar lovely.

The bedrooms are spartan, the plumbing and bathrooms ancient, the linens minimal, but then, it is very inexpensive for its central Bangkok location. We love it, our daughter and son-in-law hated it. There is plenty to complain about but you are not allowed "at these prices". Still, it is another "experience" another "story" to tell.

If you go, look on the dining room wall for the photo of the King of Thailand, Duke Ellington, and Louis Armstrong playing music together, with the young George Bush (sr.) looking on.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple