Chatrium Hotel Riverside Bangkok(Bangkok)(Great Value!)
US$153
US$554
US$481
Hotels.com
  • Pool
All reviewssuan plucosmetic surgerybedroom apartmenttuk tukserviced residencewashing machine and dryersathorn areahome away from homesathorn roadfull kitchenlong staypool and gymliving areataxi ridedefinitely stay here againfree shuttlehousekeeping staff
Reviewed May 22, 2012

My review in one word would be 'comfortable'. In two words it would be 'very comfortable'. My wife and I had a 1 bed apartment for a short business trip and enjoyed it. Breakfast is good, but for your first night, avoid the hotel retaurant, go out, down the drive, turn right along Suanplu Street for 250m and at the corner of the main road, on the left, is the Baan Khanitha restaurant for a top class first meal in Bangkok. Some reviewers say the place needs a bit of an update but we found no complaints with anything in the apartment, and if we had had any problems, for certain the affable Australian manger would have sorted it out. As said, clean, comfortable and no problems at all.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Ariel650
polevalter, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

Dear Ariel650,
Thank you for your positive review on your recent business trip to Bangkok.
I am pleased you and your wife found the residence very comfortable and apprecite the time to give us your feedback
I note your comment about our onsite restauant, Panya. Whilst our outsourced restaurant mainly serves breakfast, they also operate for lunch and dinner including room service.
It is pleasing to read you enjoyed Bann Khannita (a Thai restaurant) nearby. The property also has several good quality restaurants not to far away including several 'local' inexpensive Thai restaurants in our Soi Suanplu. Our Guest Service staff have a recommended list of restaurants available.
And in nearby Silom, only a few minutes by taxi, there are many restaurants catering to different cuisines.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Somerset when next you travel to Bangkok.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

Just back from staying at the Somerset Park Suan Plu. We had booked the smallest room available which was an Executive Suite (77sqm). The apartment was a great layout with a kitchen with most of what you need if you are there for only a couple of nights. We were only on the 8th floor but had a lovely view. The pool is very well positioned (5th floor) as it is covered so you don't get fried.

We were there for 2 weeks so we had extra items that we keep in Bangkok for longer stays such as mixing bowls, whisks, Champagne flutes etc. however what is provided is certainly the all you probably need. There's 3 saucepans and a frying pan and all crockery. Cutlery and palce mats for 2 people and also cooking spoons and a small paring knife and larger chefs knife. I might say the knives could have done with a sharpen. I maid mince meat of cutting a tomato.

There is a brand new front loading washing machine/dryer which is a godsend for a long stay but there is a laundry service if you don't want to waste precious time. There is an ironing board and the best steam iron I have come across in the suite also.

The balcony was very large lengthwise and a pleasure to sit out on. There is no deck furniture as such but we just took the chairs from the dining table outside when we needed to. There are 4 dinning chairs by the way, not the 2 you usually get, although, strangely, there is only cuttlery and glassware for 2.

I can't really recommend the reastaurant as we had trouble being understood or rather the cook was a bit inflexible. My partner is Muslim and speaks fluent Thai but when we wanted to order a ham and cheese toasted sandwich and change the ham for chicken it could not be done. However when we ordered the club sandwich the ham/bacon could be changed out to chicken. Go figure. We only had breakfast in the resaurant on the first morning as I like to make breakfast mysellf. It was average but I never expect much from a Thai buffet breakfast.

The front of house staff at the hotel are very helpful and amenable and nothing seems to be too much trouble. The doormen, bell men et al are efficiant and quick. Our room maid, Pak, was terrific and very flxible with our very loose schedule. We never felt rushed or that our lack of a regular schedule put her to any great inconvenience and I am sure at time it was.

The tuk-tuk service runs like clockwork every 30 minutes from early until late. It was a Godsend as I am handicapped with one prosthetic leg and the tuk-tuk really took the "legwork" out of the first hurdle of the day ... getting to the BTS (train).

I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Truly 4 star. It is going to need some attention in the not too distant future in the kitchen area as the cupbaords and drawers are getting a bit worn, the wardrobes likewise. Apart from that this place was just what we wanted and exceeded our expectations.

Congratulations!

Room Tip: When coming back to the hotel after a day out, if you are using the BTS and get off at Sala Daeng, it is only a quick motocy(cle) ride (20baht) from the corner of Silom & Soi Convent back to the hotel. We used these often especially when the traffic is heavy. The riders can weave through any traffic jam and it's only about 5 minutes maximum.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KeithAuckland
polevalter, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2012

Dear KeithAuckland,

Many thanks for your comprehensive review of Somerset Park Suanplu apartment and services during your recent stay in May.

I am extremely pleased to read 'what a great surprise' coupled with great service from all our staff.

The few items you mention that need some attention are being followed with the relative Departments to see what can be improved.

We hope to welcome you back to Somerset when next you travel to Bangkok.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

Stayed at 2-bedroom premier from 6 to 9 May 12. Overall, stay was quite pleasant, except for 3 incidents which I wish to highlight here for Mr Valter Narminio, the General Manager to take note (if he reads this):
1) Check In: female staff was not so friendly. No smile at all. Took about 20 minutes to sort things out and assigned us our apt, despite my advance reservation and confirmation receipt 2 months ago. Left us standing at the counter with no offer of welcome drinks or cold towels and feeling helpless;
2) The next day (8 May) after our shopping spree at Central Chidlom, we returned to our apt at about 3pm. Tried using both cardkeys issued to us to swipe our apt door several times to no avail. Luckily the cleaning maid was doing her work in nearby apt, so beckoned her to open our door for us. If not for her, we would have to lug all our shopping bags down to the reception to ask for help. Turned out that the person who checked us in had indicated in the system that we had checked out! How could this have happened, when we were clearly issued with 3 sets of breakfast coupons for the 3 nites' stay? And on top of that, the staff who checked us in the previous day took my printed confirmation letter which clearly stated the duration of our stay?
3) And this is the worst of the three: on the day of my check out, I had to be at the airport by 9:45am. After breakfast, I approached the reception counter, manned at that time by only 1 male staff (Mr Ice). He was attending to another guest who asked for some information about the city. He ignored my presence completely and left me waiting for more about 10 minutes (!), while he offered more assistance than is necessary to the other guest, including searching under the counter for maps of the city and circling places of interests and subway/BTS locations. I mean, at the very least, he could at least tell me to wait a moment as he was busy. When it came to my turn, I simply told him to prepare my bill and get it ready as I was going up to the apt to get my suitcases down. When I came down with my suitcases some 20 minutes later, the bill was not prepared yet!!! Mr Ice took another frustrating 15 to 20 minutes of his own sweet time to check me out. In the meantime, we had asked for 2 taxis, and these came while I was still stuck in the checking out process. My friend had to leave first, and the conceirge had to let go the other taxi. When I finally got my bill, there was no apologies, no smile, no nothing from Mr Ice!!! Luckily the conceirge was able to get another taxi for me, and with the good skills of the driver who took the tollway and highway, I was able to reach the airport at 10am (15 minutes off my scheduled check-in time).

What does this mean? To me, genuine service and smile to every guest are the most important aspects of hotel trade. I have stayed at the nearby swanky Marriott Sathorn Vista and the service level (as well as room condition) is worlds apart.

Some other comments:
(4) This is the only hotel I've stayed which uses liquid soap dispenser in the bathroom - only 1 and the same liquid soap - for washing of hands, hair and body. I don't know if this is good or bad but I have my doubts as to the efficacy of the soap doing so many cleaning functions. I mean, hair requires shampoo (gentler, milder?). In any case, I am not much bothered, as I brought my own shampoo and shower/bath gel.
(5) The bedrooms have a musky smell, owing to the old worn carpets. I used my Crabtree and Evelyn room spray generously on the carpets to get rid of the smell. Perhaps for the renovations that's to come, management could consider to do away with carpets in bedrooms? I dislike carpets as over time, they hide mites and ticks and bits and pieces of food which guests eat in the bedroom.
(6) The one redeeming factor is the quantity of breakfast items offered, and the smile and helpfulness of the staff at the cafe.

Room Tip: Wait for the renovations to be completed and choose rooms on the higher floors for good commanding view of Bangkok
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank TravellerKen
polevalter, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

Dear Traveller Ken,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am pleased to read that overall you did have a pleasant stay.

As the General Manager I read and respond to every Trip Advisor review after thorough investigation.

Feedback such as yours inspire us to continually provide and improve the level of service that guests have come to expect. Whilst we strive to maintain the highest customer satisfaction standards, monitoring our effectiveness can be a challenge at times.

We welcome feedback such as yours as they indicate the areas where we can further improve. I note the isues raised with our Guest Service staff who normally receive excellent feedback on their level of service to guests. It appears on this occasion, some have not delivered this normal high level of service and I apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay. I have carefully reviewed our CCTV records of everytime you approached our Guest Service area and investigated each point you raise in your review.

The recent introduction of eco-friendly liquid soap dispensers is part of our Company's Global Go Green @ Ascott Policy. More information on this initiative can be found our our website.

Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stay there for one nights & we book 2 bedrooms , living rooms is huge , bedroom is not quite big but comfortable , although the design is quite old but clean , unfortunately our shower was broken but the staff very quick response & fix it , all the staff are very helpful , they will call u back make sure everythings is ok, good service , arround the hotel you can find many local shop & markets for food & fruits...location is not quite near with BTS , so recommendation take cab to everywhere...

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
polevalter, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2012

Dear Traveller,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Somerset Park Suanplu.
I am pleased that we were able to meet your expectations with good service standards. Whilst some in room appliances can sometimes breakdown, I am pleased that my Engineering staff rectified this issue quickly and then our Guest Service efficently followed to ensure it was working properly. We will be commencing some renovations in the latter part of 2012 to update rooms and public areas.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Somerset in the near future!

Reviewed April 26, 2012

I satisfy with the service. But maybe have to renew the television and the interior design.

• Stayed: April 2012
polevalter, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

Dear Traveller,
Thank you for your brief response and that you were satisfied with the overall service. In mid-late 2012, we will be commence upgrading our residence further.