“Value for money & a pleasant stay.”

Somerset Park Suanplu
Ranked #107 of 894 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 21 July 2012

My fourth and most recent stay at this apartment in May - June of this year was as anticipated. Very good value for money when you look at all the inclusions. Spacious clean rooms cleaned daily, internet access, laundry and kitchen with everything you need to feel like a home away from home. This time I would like to talk about the under rated Heavenly Spa. Whilst more expensive than "down the road" the ladies are professional and respectful. They often have specials that are well worth a look at if you do not want to leave the hotel. The front door men are always helpful and welcoming. The Tuk Tuk is a great feature. Yes, the breakfast is not flash but there is enough variety to cover many tastes. I hope that the hotel does start its refurbishments that were proposed this year as the brown decor is a little outdated. I do look at alternatives around the traps but always end up coming back to this apartment.

Room Tip: If you are a non-smoker ensure you ask for a non-smoking room. I found even on non-smoking floors yo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank CleoBKK
polevalter, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2012

Dear CleoBKK,

Many thanks for your review on your recent stay. I am pleased you continue to return to enjoy our hospitality and services. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

I rented a month at Somerset and it was incredible value for a fairly standard finish one bedroom. However the Internet wifi which was I think either no charge or very cheap for the month was unreliable. Now for sure it may have improved since November 2010 and I sure hope it has. This is a thrills high rise but in typical Thai fashion service and cleanliness was very good.
As a thought I rented a month and found it worthwhile and it afforded my the opportunity to travel elsewhere several times without dragging everything with me.
Susan Pluu the street where Somerset is located is really useful with good street food and very good 200 baht massages as well as a helpful travel agent across the street who booked me on those trips. If you are in BKK for any amount of time and just need an apartment style hotel this will work as the one bedrooom apts are great. I rented a high floor and was pleased. Convent Road us across Sathorn and that leads you to Sala Daeng/Silom and Patpong etc as well as lots of good shopping. Not flash like Siam ...no Gucci Prada thankfully. The area is a plus.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Arsenal14_12

Dear Arsenal14_12 ,
Thanks for your review on your stay last November. As you point out, we do offer monthly rates that are attractive if you are planning a slightly longer stay.
Our complimentary internet covers only basic use such as email access. If you wish to download large files, use you tube etc, there are several plans available at a cost ranging from 1 day to 1 year which gives the consumer priority high speed internet access.
I thank you for your feedback and hope you may visit us once again soon.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

Spacious large 3 bedrooms apartment , all with attached bathroom.

Room Tip: Large living room, all 3 bedroom with attached bath
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
polevalter, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

Dear Judywkf,
Thanks for your comments on your stay in one of our 3 bedrooms. I am pleased to read your comments.
Our spacious 3 bedroom residences are approx 240sqm with each bedroom having its own ensuite bathroom and toilet. There is also an extra bathroom for any visiting guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Somerset Park Suanplu.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

We stayed at Somerset Suanplu for 8 nights. As a family, we are 2 adults, one child and one baby. To summarize our experience, it's basically a 4 STAR residence with 3 STAR service.

We stayed on the 11th floor and the room was bigger than we expected. They also gave us a baby cot.

Breakfast is average and i was surprised that there was no "cheese" of any sort on the menu. Not many options if you are a VEGTERIAN or MUSLIM Traveller.

The location is very good and centrally located.

As for the negative:

1. On more than one occassion we had to call the housekeeping again to room for cleaning that they didnt do properly or missed out.

2. There were a few cockroaches in the bathroom and the kitchen. This was brought to the attention of the duty manager a few times but no action was taken. I was expecting a room change or atleast some kind of bug spray in the room. It's was something they handled quite poorly.

Overally, it was an OK stay but i might try some other residence next time.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Waheed Z
Management response:Responded 8 July 2012

Dear Wzafar Z from Pakistan,
Thank you for your review. Whilst mostly positive on your overall feedback, thank you for highlighting some concerns. Our breakfast has several options for vegetarians or Muslim guests with daily rotating dishes. Fresh seasonal fruits, fresh eggs to order station, cereals, breads, danish, yogurts, salad bar, plain or fried rice, soups, noodles, chicken sausages and vegetable dish. Whilst variety is not as extensive as a 5 star hotel, we do try to provide a reasonable variety to meet most travellers needs included in our reasonable room rate. Regarding the cockroach. We pride ourselves on room cleanliness and being a serviced apartment with many long stay guests calling this home, we do perform a monthly room spray of every room to keep any insects at a minimum. Any extra spraying action is taken by staff during daily housekeeping. I do apologise for the shortcomings if some insects were located in your room.
Your feedback will help us in our continuous efforts for service excellence.
Once again, thank you very much for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Somerset Park Suanplu.

Reviewed 4 July 2012

Stayed there because of a conference nearby. Price was just right, in fact it was a surprise to actually find such good rates in Bangkok! less than USD100 for a one room apartment. Eas expected of the somerset brands, it is fully equipped with facilities that a hotel room will never have! such as washing machine, cutleries and cooking utensils! not that i use any of those but the fact that its there, gives me a satisfaction to note that these guys are trying to meet all out expectations.

Gym and pool was great! Wifi is weak but there's always an option to upgrade. and the charges are not so exhorbitant! Breakfast was ok and as expected. Not much variety but at the end its always toast and coffee!

Location might be a problem if you are a tourist as the nearest train stations are a good 15/20 minutes walk away. even though they provide shuttle but its will never be able to compare with hotels next to a train station.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 8 July 2012

Dear chreong from Malaysia,
Thank you for your review of your recent stay.
I am pleased we exceeded your expectations in several ways. Whilst we are located away from the BTS Syktrain, we provide an efficient Tuk Tuk transfer every 30 minutes as per schedule. This takes about 5 mins normally.The residence is located in a nice quiet local area away from the hustle and bussle of the main shopping areas however still very convenient to get anywhere around Bangkok. Remaining very competitively priced we do hope you chose to stay with us once again when you next travel to Bangkok. Thanks for your review.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

I stayed at the Somerset Park Suanplu hotel duirng my first visit to Bangkok in April 2012 and I loved everything about it, the location, the service, the staff and the breakfast. The value for the money was amazing, for about $65.00USD I had a room with a King Sized bed, Laundry room, kitchen, living room, and balcony.

The prices at the Spa were a joke, you can walk down the street and get the same services for maybe 60% less.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank iloveny2
polevalter, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Dear iloveny2,
Thanks for your wonderful review of your stay during April 2012. I am so pleased to read your received 'amazing' service from all my staff and found the cost an exceptional value.

Our Heavenly Day Spa is outsourced and operated by a professional spa operator in beatuiful surrounds with high quality imported Jurelique products. As Bangkok has many day spas and massage services, it is purely a customer preference on price and quality. (and yes, there are many such spa services nearby to suit any traveller's budget)

I thank you for your review and hope to welcome you back when next you choose to travel to Bangkok.

Reviewed 13 June 2012

As regular visitor for both holiday and business i stayed at Somerset Suanplu many times.I choose to return because the staff always makes me feel being home away from home.My appartment had everything to enjoy comfortable stay and was always spotless clean thanks to lovely cleaning ladies.Wifi signal was very weak and slow at my last visit this month .This really needs attention.Regarding the front desk staff i am surprised by the bad experiences in another recent review, in contrary i always had good experiences,they are attentive,friendly and fast.I would certainly recommend a stay at this property.Go and experience yourselves folks .You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank flyer38nl

Dear Flyer38nl,
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us once again. I am extremely pleased to read you continued to receive great service from all staff at Somerset Park Suanplu.
I note your feedback regarding some Wi-Fi weaker than normal signal strength. Through our internet service provider, we have recently conducted a signal strength review of every apartment and public areas trying to locate such weaker spots. I am happy to advise that majority of areas have successfully tested strongly, however, during our upcoming refurbishment, we aim to rectify the few areas identified as slightly weaker.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.