“Stay elsewhere for the money”

Somerset Park Suanplu
Ranked #130 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I stayed here for three nights in November 2012. The hotel itself is fine, for the money. I did not like the area as there was little within walking distance but that is just a personal preference. The apartment itself was clean and pleasant. I think my main concern was the attittude of the reception staff which was the least freindly of anywhere I have ever stayed in the whole world. One of the reception staff merely greeted me with a 'Yes?' when I approached the counter and then was rude and dismissive when I asked her for information. She also failed to book my wake up call for 4am the following day so lucky I didn't rely on her or I would have missed my flight home. Overall dissapointed in the staff's attitude and unwelcoming manor. I think if this was improved upon the hotel would be a much nicer place. Oh and the showers in the sauna smelt of drains.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Valter N, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2012

Dear Traveller,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay.
I am pleased to read the property and rooms was fine and to your liking.
Whilst my Guest Service staff normally have exceptional service skills as reported regularly, I must sincerely apologise for the unpleasant experience you report in your feedback. This staff attitude is highly irregular and I am concerned to read such behaviour. Your feedback will be shared with the entire Team for improvements.
We will continue in our improvement efforts to provide excellent service and products to our guests.

Reviewed 10 November 2012

Location is great: 15 minutes walk from SkyTrain station, complimentary tuk-tuk every 30min to SkyTrain station. But taxis are also cheap: 30-100 Bath to take you nearly anywhere in town. You find a taxi every 5 meters!
Apartment is spacious, fully equipped, clean and the higher the floor: the better view.
Very good quality of bed and pillows.
Nice swimming pool on the 5th floor with water that is not too hot (often a problem in Asian hotels).
Staff is extremely friendly and very efficient.
Breakfast is very good (250Bath) with Western as well as plenty of Asian dishes to choose from.
One minor point: the air-conditioning units are on the terrace and this causes noise during the night.
Don't use the travel agent who sits near the reception: you get better much deals elsewhere and most of the 'packages' they offer are super tourist 'traps' that often end in a local gem store.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor: the view is better, you have less street noise and no mosquitos. Also ask f...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Valter N, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

Dear IvofromBelgium,
Many thanks for your great review of your recent stay with us. I am pleased you found the product and services to exceed your expectations.
In regards to the independant tour desk that operates in our Lobby, I have shared with them your comments. Most group tours offer day travellers options to visit local handicrafts shops including gem shops. Like any traveller, they may opt not to enter such establishments if not interested. On that matter I have asked them to ensure they clearly inform guests of this part of the tour.
Once again, thanks for your valuable comments and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 11 October 2012

I stayed there for my second time in the first week of October 2012. Once again I was happy with my stay. The rooms are large and well appointed, and overall comfortable even if the aircon is a little cold. They have a good sized kitchen and a balcony if you want to get a breath of non air-conditioned air.

The front desk staff were reasonably pleasant, though easily distracted and tended to dive off and deal with someone else while still half way through my queries. Overall though I thought they were good.

Breakfasts are good with a wide selection of Thai and euro foods. Personally I preferred the Thai options while I was there, more flavor.

The tuk tuk service to Silom is useful and saved a hot walk down Convent to the nearest BTS. The hotel itself is close to the Silom bar strip and to several other hotels and eateries.

All in all I was happy with the place and no doubt I will be staying there again when I return to Bangkok.

Room Tip: See if you can get a higher room so you have a view and a breeze.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Valter N, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2012

Dear Kiwi_acct,

Many thanks for your positive review of your second stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

Stayed here in the 2 bedroom apartment...very spacious.. getting abit old... not sure about the age of the building but you get what you payfor, I think it a 3.5-4 star....I reckon it could easly be a 4.5 with a reno.

The service here is very good. door man and porters were great along with counterstaff. The tour person was abit of a rip off.

Door man usually helps you out with ensuring the taxis using meters..which saves any problems later on.

The premise is pretty safe, the building is 30 meters up a drive way from the road with a security guard looking after the gate.

Breakfast is average. Lots of street markets next to the building. 7 11 and a few banks just downstairs of the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Andy K

Dear Andy K,

Many thanks for your review.

I am pleased you found our residence price competitive, safe and with porfessional service from my staff.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

Stayed at Somerset Park in early September 2012, for 1 night stopover enroute to Phuket. In tow were my partner, our 1 year old daughter and my partners mum. Arrived at the hotel around 9pm, greeted by friendly and efficient staff at reception and escorted to our 2 bedroom self contained apartment. We booked the hotel through Wotif.com at a pretty good price and were interested to see if they'd give us a nice apartment - which they did! The room we stayed in was comfortable and clean. The 2 bedroom apartments are quite large - plenty of room for 3-4 adults and for our daughter to burn off energy before bed!
Good: Clean, spacious, friendly staff, good location (7/11 and ATM's less than a 2 minute walk), Wifi excellent.
Bad: Shower pressure weak, bed hard, furnishings old and need updating
All-in-all though a pleasant place to stay for our stop over

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
polevalter, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2012

Dear Traveller from Burleigh Heads, Australia
Thank you for your review of your one night stay with us. I am pleased to read we met your expectations in both service, location and quality. We hope that you may spend a longer stay with us on your next visit to Bangkok.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

great valued 1 bedroom apartment in the heart of the Embassy District of South Sathorn. 5 minute taxi to Silom and all the nightlife area. Rooms very large and service not too bad . Buffet breakfast was good .wifi in the room not too bad but it is thailand.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RobR0

Dear Traveller,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay.
I am pleased you found 'great value' for money and my Team look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

The good:

1. The apartments are huge, with a balcony which is great for smokers.
2. Breakfast was of a decent quality and spread
3. Wifi was free and contrary to other reviews, of decent speed
4. Pool was sheltered while guests had the option of either lying on the lounge chairs in the sun or under shelter
5. The minimart within the apartment was very convenient and stocked basic necessities (great for rainy days)
6. Very affordable accommodation given the size of the apartments, facilities (pool, gym, tennis court), amenities (In house spa and minimart), complimentary wifi and breakfast
7. Jit the bellman was very friendly, cheery and helpful and was a real pleasure to have around.

The bad:

1. The lift lobbies, corridors and lifts are extremely dark (along with the dated fittings, the overlook image presented was not a flattering one)
2. The furniture in the apartment looked dated. We even had a CRT TV in our living room (no remote was in sight too, we had to manually turn on the TV and manually switch between channels throughout our stay)
3. The breakfast spread remained the same throughout our stay except for a few breakfast items (bread and pastry spread remained exactly the same throughout our 3 day stay)
4. There were a few reception ladies with exceptionally black unpleasant faces and a really unfriendly, stuck up air about them (maybe because we aren't white males?)
5. The aircon in our rooms was extremely cold and noisy (even at the lowest speed and at 26 degrees)
6. The shampoo provided doubled up as an all in one body wash. It had a great smell and was awesome as a body wash but I wouldn't have chosen to use it as a shampoo if I had a choice. The hotel should look at providing separate shampoos from their body wash.
7. We had to call for housekeeping to clean the apartment as they had forgotten to clean our room.
8. The location is not ideal for a shopping trip. It's not within walking distance to any shopping centre. Who really wants to wait 30mins for the hotel's complimentary tuk tuk just to get to the nearest train station?
9. The in house spa had ridiculous rates around 4 times that of the spas within a few steps away from the hotel!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank bittenbytheTbugz
polevalter, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

Dear Traveller,
Thank you for your descriptive 'good and bad' comments about your recent stay at Somerset. I am pleased to receive your review.
1. The lift lobby and corridors - we will see if we can increase the lux lighting level in this areas during our renovations.
2. The apartment furniture is not ultra-modern and in line with the photos on our website.
3. Whilst we try to cater to many nationalities for breakfast, certain breakfast dishes/items are changed daily. Whole meal and white bread together with danishes and cake slices are a standard at most hotels for breakfast. I will discuss with the restaurant operator if they can change the pastry variety more frequently.
4. I am disappointed to read that some of our female staff at Guest service did not deliver the usual high standard of Thai greetings that Thailand is famous for. For this I apologise and will speak with them on your comments.
5. Yes our air conditioners are aging and are serviced regularly. We will investigate this room to alter or change the thermostat and air flow.
6. The 2 in 1 shampoo and body product has been specifically designed for our entire chain as a new, eco-friendly product. More information on our company eco-friendly Green strategy can be found on our website.
7. Please accept my apology that for some reason our Housekeeping staff did not attend to your room by the time of your arrival back to the property.
8. Our location is definitely not in the middle of a shopping area as stated on all our advertising. Our regular tuk tuk complimentary transfer to Silom shopping area is every 30 minutes from 830am to 6pm and connects with either the BTS sky train or MRT underground train system. Taxis are readily available if the free transfer time does not suit.
9. The outsourced in house day spa offers quality spa treatments using high quality spa products and prices are in line with any hotel in Bangkok. As you point out, there are many choices to meet many budgets nearby.
Whilst some of these review items can be fixed, again, thanks for your review and I hope that you may consider to stay with us again when you next travel to Bangkok.