“Great for the business traveller”

Somerset Park Suanplu
Ranked #130 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 24 November 2012

I was sent to Bangkok for business in mid November 2012 & was put up in the Somerset Park Suanplu.
The location of this hotel is not great for tourists as many sites are a fiar walk away (except for the night markets). This hotel & the surrounding hotels seem to be set up for the business traveller as there are many corporate offices & embassy's in walking distance.
I stayed in a 2 bedroom (2 bathroom) apartment. It was great & had everything you needed but way too big for 1 person.
In addtition to the 2 rooms, bathrooms there was a fully equiped kitched, large living area, spacious meals area, large entry foyer, large balcony & separate room with laundry facilities.
The room was very clean, some older aspects in the fixtures but you can easily not notice it. The shower pressure was quite weak & the water not that hot which really was the only disappointing aspect of the room.
Breakfast is included in rates & there was an omelete bar in addition to a sumptious array of options for all types of travellers.
The hotel also had a very good Health Spa on level 5 along with a gym, exercise room,outdoor pool (but under cover), outdoor spa, sauna & steam room.
Like most Thai hotels there was always at least 2 bottles of water (for drinking & brushing your teeth) & the rate was very afforadable ($100 USD) per night for the 2 bedroom & about $70 USD for the 1 bedroom - but most things are very cheap in Thailand.
Lastly, the hotel offers free restricted wi-fi. If you want to use the faster unrestricted version it costs less than $2 USD per hour.

Room Tip: if you only need 1 bed, then just ask for a 1 bedroom apartment. Anything bigger is wasted for 1 per...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Valter N, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2012

Dear jdelor,
Many thanks for your comprehensive review.
I am pleased that overall it was a pleasant stay.

Regarding the hot water and weak water pressure. Our residence is equipped with individual, instant electric hot water services and sometimes need some calibration. Whilst my staff do check all arrival rooms for any such issues, sometimes these machines with no notice, fail causing some temperature change. In such cases, please do report this to our Guest Service so our technicians can act quickly to rectify the issues as soon as possible.

Finally, we do offer complimentray Wi-Fi to all guests enough to perform email and basic surfing but the speed is limited. As you point out, should you require higher speeds or are required to download large files, or require streaming access, we do recommend purchasing the higher paid broadband packages available on the home page that allow access to these requirements.

Thanks again and we hope you will choose Somerset Park Suanplu when next you travel to Bangkok.

Reviewed 19 November 2012

The 2 bedroom 2 bath, full kitchen with washer/dryer was huge and suited us perfectly as we were traveling with our 2 adults sons. After one and a half weeks in Asia the convenience of a washer and dryer in the apartment was great. Note: it seemed to take forever for things to dry. I finally noticed there was a water receptacle. Once I empty it, I think it solved the problem. The only other issues were that there were smudges on the door frames and I forgot the rate included breakfast and the reception did not point out the vouchers. We walked out the first morning and missed our breakfast. That evening I noticed the vouchers, Small issue. The hotel has pretty grounds and it is a nice area with embassies around. Bangkok is hot and hectic, the apartment was very nice to come back to after a day sight-seeing. The pool and fitness center looked nice, but I did not use them. The front desk will open the business center for you if you need it. I needed boarding passes printed, ask them how to print what you need. They were very nice about it.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

Dear Reviewtrip,

I am pleased to read your feedback about your recent stay with us. Thanks for taking the time to give us such valuable feedback.

The washing machines available in every residence are certainly a great addition when travelling.

We are commencing some renovations from approx March/April 2013 and shall address some aging porblems.

I am pleased my Guest Service staff were friendly and helpful and my apology for the shortcoming of them not explaining the breakfast voucher system more carefully.

I hope we can welcome you and your family back to Somerset in the future.

Reviewed 18 November 2012

I stayed here for three nights in November 2012. The hotel itself is fine, for the money. I did not like the area as there was little within walking distance but that is just a personal preference. The apartment itself was clean and pleasant. I think my main concern was the attittude of the reception staff which was the least freindly of anywhere I have ever stayed in the whole world. One of the reception staff merely greeted me with a 'Yes?' when I approached the counter and then was rude and dismissive when I asked her for information. She also failed to book my wake up call for 4am the following day so lucky I didn't rely on her or I would have missed my flight home. Overall dissapointed in the staff's attitude and unwelcoming manor. I think if this was improved upon the hotel would be a much nicer place. Oh and the showers in the sauna smelt of drains.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Valter N, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2012

Dear Traveller,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay.
I am pleased to read the property and rooms was fine and to your liking.
Whilst my Guest Service staff normally have exceptional service skills as reported regularly, I must sincerely apologise for the unpleasant experience you report in your feedback. This staff attitude is highly irregular and I am concerned to read such behaviour. Your feedback will be shared with the entire Team for improvements.
We will continue in our improvement efforts to provide excellent service and products to our guests.

Reviewed 10 November 2012

Location is great: 15 minutes walk from SkyTrain station, complimentary tuk-tuk every 30min to SkyTrain station. But taxis are also cheap: 30-100 Bath to take you nearly anywhere in town. You find a taxi every 5 meters!
Apartment is spacious, fully equipped, clean and the higher the floor: the better view.
Very good quality of bed and pillows.
Nice swimming pool on the 5th floor with water that is not too hot (often a problem in Asian hotels).
Staff is extremely friendly and very efficient.
Breakfast is very good (250Bath) with Western as well as plenty of Asian dishes to choose from.
One minor point: the air-conditioning units are on the terrace and this causes noise during the night.
Don't use the travel agent who sits near the reception: you get better much deals elsewhere and most of the 'packages' they offer are super tourist 'traps' that often end in a local gem store.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor: the view is better, you have less street noise and no mosquitos. Also ask f...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Valter N, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

Dear IvofromBelgium,
Many thanks for your great review of your recent stay with us. I am pleased you found the product and services to exceed your expectations.
In regards to the independant tour desk that operates in our Lobby, I have shared with them your comments. Most group tours offer day travellers options to visit local handicrafts shops including gem shops. Like any traveller, they may opt not to enter such establishments if not interested. On that matter I have asked them to ensure they clearly inform guests of this part of the tour.
Once again, thanks for your valuable comments and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 11 October 2012

I stayed there for my second time in the first week of October 2012. Once again I was happy with my stay. The rooms are large and well appointed, and overall comfortable even if the aircon is a little cold. They have a good sized kitchen and a balcony if you want to get a breath of non air-conditioned air.

The front desk staff were reasonably pleasant, though easily distracted and tended to dive off and deal with someone else while still half way through my queries. Overall though I thought they were good.

Breakfasts are good with a wide selection of Thai and euro foods. Personally I preferred the Thai options while I was there, more flavor.

The tuk tuk service to Silom is useful and saved a hot walk down Convent to the nearest BTS. The hotel itself is close to the Silom bar strip and to several other hotels and eateries.

All in all I was happy with the place and no doubt I will be staying there again when I return to Bangkok.

Room Tip: See if you can get a higher room so you have a view and a breeze.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Dear Kiwi_acct,

Many thanks for your positive review of your second stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

Stayed here in the 2 bedroom apartment...very spacious.. getting abit old... not sure about the age of the building but you get what you payfor, I think it a 3.5-4 star....I reckon it could easly be a 4.5 with a reno.

The service here is very good. door man and porters were great along with counterstaff. The tour person was abit of a rip off.

Door man usually helps you out with ensuring the taxis using meters..which saves any problems later on.

The premise is pretty safe, the building is 30 meters up a drive way from the road with a security guard looking after the gate.

Breakfast is average. Lots of street markets next to the building. 7 11 and a few banks just downstairs of the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Andy K

Dear Andy K,

Many thanks for your review.

I am pleased you found our residence price competitive, safe and with porfessional service from my staff.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

Stayed at Somerset Park in early September 2012, for 1 night stopover enroute to Phuket. In tow were my partner, our 1 year old daughter and my partners mum. Arrived at the hotel around 9pm, greeted by friendly and efficient staff at reception and escorted to our 2 bedroom self contained apartment. We booked the hotel through Wotif.com at a pretty good price and were interested to see if they'd give us a nice apartment - which they did! The room we stayed in was comfortable and clean. The 2 bedroom apartments are quite large - plenty of room for 3-4 adults and for our daughter to burn off energy before bed!
Good: Clean, spacious, friendly staff, good location (7/11 and ATM's less than a 2 minute walk), Wifi excellent.
Bad: Shower pressure weak, bed hard, furnishings old and need updating
All-in-all though a pleasant place to stay for our stop over

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
polevalter, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2012

Dear Traveller from Burleigh Heads, Australia
Thank you for your review of your one night stay with us. I am pleased to read we met your expectations in both service, location and quality. We hope that you may spend a longer stay with us on your next visit to Bangkok.