All reviewsbts stationfourth floorstreet foodthree nightskhao san roadwifitrain
Reviewed August 24, 2016

Helpful and friendly host - Annie. Chanchala is the best hostel to stay in the world! There are 2 double rooms in Chanchala, one with window and the other without. We wrote Annie an email that we preferred the former. Afterthat, she not only fulfilled our wish but also replied our email with a detail map to the hostel.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2016 via mobile

Wonderful host! She was very welcoming, helpful and kind. It was honestly one of the best hostels I stayed in. Very clean and comfortable. The location, although a bit far from the main Sukhumvit attractions, is only a 10 min BTS ride away. The hostel itself is a 2 min walk away. Highly recommended!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2016

I came here fully expecting to love the place, based on the plethora of positive reviews I read before coming.
Unfortunately, it really isn't that great, at least in my experience.

My room said it included breakfast, which is why I booked it at the price I did, but nobody mentioned that breakfast was merely toast and coffee served at an awkwardly small table on the main floor.
Annie and another man were seated there when I came down, and I said hello in Thai and the man replied Hello in English, but Annie said nothing. She continued to speak in Thai to this man for the duration of my breakfast, which was so awkward, because the table only seats 6 and I couldn't very well eat anywhere else, because of her rules. Even when he got up from the conversation to walk into the kitchen, she still said nothing.
I'm sorry - am I the only one who thinks that is so entirely rude?
This is her establishment - she is the one to set the precedent and make people feel at home - or in this case - not at home. She sure did a good job on the last one! I didn't even eat my fill or finish my coffee, instead I cleaned up and went upstairs suddenly not in the good mood I was in upon waking up.

That coupled with the bed being hard, the blanket being thin and not being able to be trusted to eat in ones own private room (i'm not in a dorm), all made me feel the opposite of being at home. The wifi is weak and of course there is no TV and the neighborhood is ok, but nothing special. All in all, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. I've stayed in much nicer rooms for the same price and will seek out somewhere else in the future.

Room Tip: I was on the 3rd floor in a private room. Less walking (because there is no elevator), but noisy with construction and street noise.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed April 16, 2016

I stayed four nights at this hostel, and would stay again. The proprietor, Annie, is a wealth of information, and always seems to be around to help. The hostel itself has a less than ideal location far from downtown and the river, but it is practically right next to a BTS station, about 30 minutes from Siam Centre (you can travel to a riverboat or taxi to get to the touristy destinations from there). The hostel is VERY clean, and very close to food (a night market runs just a few streets over). The neighbourhood seemed quite safe, and the locals were friendly. Sleep quality was less than ideal, unfortunately - I had spent the previous two weeks traveling through Vietnam and Cambodia and had slept very well, but that was not the case here (I stayed in a private room). Wi-fi quality also leaves a bit to be desired - I had to move out of my room to use the service with any kind of reliability. But outside of these minor concerns, if you are looking for comfortable and quiet budget accommodations away from Khao San Road and the hustle and bustle of the city, look here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed April 2, 2016 via mobile

This is a really nice and clean hostel, towels are provided, air con was good. The WiFi is great and the owner Annie is so helpful. Really close to a BTS line so it's so easy to find.
Thank you for booking up our taxi to the bus station Annie sorry we didn't get to thank you in person!

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple