All reviews coconut pancakes honeymoon suite free night canal boat the night bike tour grand palace golden mount democracy monument garden suite charming hotel breakfast was delicious khao san road walking distance warm hospitality we loved our stay each morning small hotel
Reviewed April 2, 2018

We stayed here for 2 nights and would come back anytime. The whole interior is lovely furnished and unique. The only disadvantage was the traffic noise, that kept us awake the first night. Jason was so accommodating to give us another room which was more quiet. All in all, we were super satisfied with our stay; perfectly organized, most delicious breakfast and attentive staff!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Old_Capital, Owner at Old Capital Bike Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2018

Dear Feller family,

Thank you once again for staying with us and for sparing time to review your stay. We're happy to know you enjoyed your time here in Bangkok with us. As always, we try to be as accommodating as possible to help make your stay most comfortable. So we're glad you slept much better the 2nd night in a new suite. We hope to have you back with us in the future.

Reviewed March 29, 2018 via mobile

I only stayed here 2 nights but had such a great time. Jason (the owner/manager I’m guessing?) was incredibly friendly and very knowledgeable. He pushed us to see the right things and their curated map of Bangkok alone is worth staying there! Listen to his recommendations and you can’t go wrong.

All the staff are fantastic, friendly and very accommodating of any requests.

The rooms are small, but well decorated, and you have to remember this is a boutique hotel - not a major chain. It more than makes up for any shortfalls though.

The breakfast (which needs to be selected the night before) is absolutely fantastic. One of the best breakfasts I’ve ever had in my life. The complimentary local fruit is incredible, along with everything else we ate. I would stay here for the food alone!

A few (very) minor points for constructive improvement:

- The stickers on the toilet could definitely do with being removed. They just make it feel cheaper than it is, unnecessarily.

- The shower gel and shampoo ceramic containers need replacing. The lids simply don’t close and fill up as soon as the shower is turned on so you’re essentially just using water.

- The four poster bed (in SW2) was very loose. Recommend fixing that.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Jason and Hannah,

Thank you again for staying with us. Lovely to hear you enjoyed staying with us at our inn, and found our tips and suggestions very helpful for making the most of your time in Bangkok. Will pass the note to the chefs about the lovely breakfast you enjoy so much. And of course, thank you for your constructive advice on how to improve little things in the guest rooms which we truly appreciate and have taken steps to fix/adjust them. We hope to have you back with us again in the future! Safe travels!

Reviewed March 15, 2018

I was travelling solo- left the husband at home!- and such a wonderful place to stay. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, Please do the free bike tour too- traffic isn't too bad, I'm a novice bike rider but did fine and so much fun. Breakfast as everyone is saying is FANTASTIC and so much of it. Rooms are very clean and comfortable, so nicely decorated. Unfortunately a bit of building going on next door which is noisy in am but knew this in advance and the staff were apologetic about this.

I felt very safe in the area and not far from a river bus stop- i would recommend wholeheartedly figuring this out and using it as public transport- cheapest and easiest by far- and wont get ripped off by taxis! Its easy to navigate after a bit of figuring out, but be prepared to jump on/off quick. About 10/20 baht one way or 200 for a full day on off i think. Be sure to Download free app Maps.me- can use offline.

In walking distance from Kho San road and other attractions- without planning too went to the rattanakosin exhibition hall- an interactive museum well worth a visit! (bring large notes or passport as deposit for audio guide in English) don't hesitate to stay and i would 100% book again if i return.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank madim0n
Old_Capital, Owner at Old Capital Bike Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2018

Dear Madim0n,

Thank you so much for your kind review. We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and had the chance to do our exclusive night bike tour. Thank you for also suggesting the river transport so other future guests can take advantage of it too. We hope to have you back again soon!

Jason, Nantiya and OCBI staff

Reviewed March 14, 2018 via mobile

Staffs are super friendly, lobby and rooms are well decorated, definitely not the standard hotel room feeling. Enjoyed the free night cycling tour around the old town, it gives the guests a chance to see the truely interesting local people’s life.

We loved the breakfast, so many kinds of interesting fruits in a plate! Cook to order egg dishes have plenty choices. Fluffy hot waffles is to die for. And for the authentic Thai taste, highly recommend the meat ball porridge, and egg in the pan is a favourite...... As well as the freshly cooked cure little donuts for dessert.

The host Jason speaks perfect English, who can give you tons of tips of travel in Bangkok. All the staffs are taking their best efforts to care for each guest’s individual needs. This small boutique hotel is really a gem.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Fourwings,

Thank you again for staying with us and taking time to share your stay experience. It's wonderful to know you loved everything we had to offer from the hotel's rustic, old-world decor to our breakfasts and bike tour. We're glad you got to experience it all.

We hope you do give a chance to welcome you again in the future.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed March 13, 2018

This is a very sweet little inn I the Pra Nakhon area of Bangkok. Upon arrival at the OCBI it does not look like much. It is on a quiet residential street and fairly understated from the outside. When you walk in you will be greeted by a very friendly staff, most of whom speak English quite well. I arrived around noon and my room was not ready so I had to take a little walk when I got there, but they kept my luggage and I was happy for the walk. They did serve me some tea and offered me a snack. Overall, I really enjoyed my stay here but a couple of little things are keeping me from giving it a 10.

The Great
The breakfast. Definitely the best I had in all of Thailand. Everything is homemade and you will be served way more than you can eat. A giant plate of fresh, ripe, delicious tropical fruits. Coconut pancakes that are so good that I kept trying to find them on the street. They are about the size of a silver dollar and filled with amazing coconut cream. Fried dough served with amazing homemade coconut jam. A selected of breakfast entrees of which I thought the pan friend eggs were the best (avoid the egg salad if you are not a fan of tons of mayonnaise) and really great homemade hot chocolate. I would go there JUST for breakfast if I were in the neighborhood it was that good! I also had a very early morning checkout and they were down there ready for me with a packed breakfast and water to take with me. Also, there is a little cafe area where food is served. You can have a drink there at night. One morning I chatted with another solo traveller and we ended up spending the day together which was a definite highlight.

The Good, but Not as Great
I was booked into what I think is the King Suite. The room is minimal but nice, furnished in the Lanna style. It is a comfortable, very clean and attractive room. As others have noted, you will receive a small gift with a personal note on your bed each morning. A really lovely touch. They also provide plenty of free bottled water. The room was very quiet. However, there were a few ups and downs, literally. I had read that there were stairs in the hotel to be wary of if you were elderly or disabled, but I was not prepared for the very steep railless stairs in my room. I believe it may be unique to this room, but the bathroom and closet are on the first floor and then the bed and dresser are up on the second floor. Ordinarily this would not bother me, but the stairs are VERY steep and there is no hand rail at all. Having just arrived and being pretty jet lagged I was up and down those stairs a lot in the middle of the night and almost slipped a few times. I am neither old nor feeble. This was just a pretty annoying thing to have to deal with in the middle of the night. There are some other small design flaws that were mildly irritating. All of the doors are double-door Lanna style. The bathroom door does not stay open which proved to be kind of a pain and the sink was extremely high, making it a bit difficult to wash my face.

The Less Good
For me the location turned out to be not so great. That said, I think it really depends on what you are looking for. It is about a 10 minute walk from Khao San road, but that holds no appeal for me. About a 25 minute walk from the main tourist attractions of Wat Pho and The Grand Palace, as well as the river. And about a 20 minute cab ride from the nearest sky train. There is not much doing in the surrounding neighborhood so this means you need to be prepared do a lot of walking or take a lot of cabs just to get to where you want to go. I don’t mind those things but it makes it hard to go to the other side of town and then go back to your hotel for a break before dinner.

Overall
I would say this is a terrific little hotel if you want to be away from the hustle and bustle of busy Bangkok, I would just make sure to check what room you book if you have concerns about the stairs. It is a sweet, friendly, cozy little place and the breakfast really is incredible.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask about steep stairs in the room if that is a concern. I believe the King Suite has them.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Nina D

Dear Ms. Nina,

Thank you so much for taking time to share such a comprehensive review of your stay. We're glad you had a lovely time staying with us. We apologize that the stairs within the room maybe a little steep due to space limitation, but we're happy you enjoyed the room decor nevertheless. As you mentioned, our location is in old Bangkok which makes it convenient for old town exploration which involves lots of walking, but it seems you may have missed the many little cafes and curiosity shops and local eateries around our hotel. I guess that leaves more to explore on your next stay with us, hopefully.

Thank you again!