“Excellent location for shopping”

Centara Grand at CentralWorld
Ranked #101 of 885 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We were really pleased with this 5 star hotel, the rooms were spacious and clean with amazing bathrooms. The pool was nice with plenty of sunbeds. The hotel is the perfect luxurious base if you want to go shopping, it is adjoining to a modern shopping centre and also walking distance from the MBk(good for cheap shopping and fakes). I have stayed in a few hotels in Bangkok, all 5 star and this was by far my favourite and I would definately stay here again. The food and drink in the hotel is very overpriced but that is to be expected so we just went into the shopping centre for this instead. Overall I would definately reccomend.

• Stayed: February 2012

Reviewed 18 February 2012

I stayed at Centara Grand for 5 nights for a company meeting. I had a corner room with good space and light. But my colleagues had the regular rooms which are narrow and dark. There is a full length wall-sized mirror on the wall facing the bed which is very bizarre and bad taste for many Asians.

1) Housekeeping - not thorough. I accidentally dropped the cap to my water bottle behind the night table on the first night. It wasn't in plain sight but should be easily spotted for any cleaner. The cap was left there throughout my stay untouched. My used bathrobe was not hung properly when I returned to my room. My shoes were left unarranged on the floor.

2) Food - OK but not exciting. Both the food served in the 24th floor buffet and for our meeting wasn't great. The breakfast buffet looked expansive but upon close look, neither the variety nor the quality was as expected for a 5-star hotel. The food service staff seemed very passive and bored. I have not once had my water or coffee refilled automatically without specifically asking for it, and it wasn't easy getting their attention either.

3) Concierge - not reliable. I booked transportation to the airport with the concierge, but needed to cancel it 20 min later because I learned that it had already been arranged by my colleagues. The concierge reassured me that the booking had been cancelled and no charge will be made to my room. I specifically asked them to cross out my booking slip; they did so in front of me. However, the night before my departure, I received a message from the concierge confirming my shuttle booking and confirming that the full fee will be charged to my room bill. When I called the front desk, they told me the knew nothing about it and asked me to checked back with the concierge the next morning when it's open. Then at 11.30pm, the shuttle company called me to confirm my booking. I told them the booking had been cancelled. When I confronted the concierge the next morning, they simply shrugged and said they'd look into it.

All in all, the only thing I really enjoyed is the space this hotel offers. It is nowhere near 5-star calibre.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I travelled alone this time to attend the Standard Chartered Bangkok marathon last week, that was postponed from last year (due to the floods). I felt safe at the hotel. The room was big and clean. The bathroom is huge with a great tub and rainshower. The hotel is also very generous with the free bottles of water.
Sadly, the Wi-fi was really lacking. The package was inclusive of Wi-fi but getting a decent signal on the 40th floor was really difficult. The signal kept dropping and I kept having to switch to different hot-spots. The best I got was a single signal bar for less than 10 minutes.
The location is really really convenient. Plenty of shops and food places around. The BTS is great to get out of the area to avoid the traffic. Just a tip, if you intent to get the BTS, safe yourself some time and get your coins from a different place during peak periods.
The concierge is very helpful, they always asked where I wanted to go and ensured that the taxi driver knew exactly where it was.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Stayed here at the start of our holiday in Thailand, and it was a real treat. Excellent hotel with good amenities - the bar on the top floor is worth a visit in particular. Good food and very welcoming staff. On the side of Central World shopping mall, which was very handy. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays
7  Thank Smokey_Ingle
Reviewed 14 February 2012

A visit to Bangkok isn't perfect without having a drink in one of Bangkok's rooftop bars. The Red Sky Bar is easily accessible through the Central World Shopping mall (BTS Chit Lom, follow signposts, many escalators). The views are breathtaking-best time is at nightfall around 5 to 6pm. The drinks are delicious, service is good and prices moderate. Elegant clothing is recommended.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank tom11004
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I stayed at the Centara Grand for 3 days in January.

It is in a great location with only a short walk around, ot through, the Central World Shopping mall to get to the main reoads and all the street vendors.

The Central World Shopping Mall is great - lots of sholling opportunities. It is alos very close to other Malls - you can walk between them via the overhead sky walk.

The Sky train station is very close, but taxi's are very cheap in bangkok - except that the traffic can be very difficult.

Would recommend you travel by sky train down to the river - great trip and there are many boats offering lunch and dinner cruises.

Meals at Centara are very good - I enjoyed the variety offered at breakfast and loved the dinner buffets.

My room was an ordinary room, but had a great bathroom with an oval bath/shower with great views over Bangkok. And all of the rooms are on the 23rd floor or higher!

You must visit the 55th floor - what a view!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2012

My Husband and I stayed in the Centara Grand at CentralWorld between 22nd to 26th Dec 2011.

Speedy welcome and check in. We booked the standard Deluxe room but were upgraded for free to a Suite on arrival. We stayed in room 3413 which was a corner room on the 34th floor. It was huge with views right over Bangkok. The bathroom was impressive with twin sinks, great shower and oval bathtub. Comparing the room to other 5 star hotels I have stayed in I would say it did need upgrading. The carpet had stains on it and also the sofa in the lounge area. One of the plug sockets was hanging off the wall. Maybe due to being a smoking room (unfortunately Hubby smokes and didn't fancy going down 34 floors every time he wanted a cigarette!) it gave the overall finishing a shabby feel. None of which were enough to complain but I did expect a better standard of room being a 5 star hotel.

The best thing about this hotel is it's location. Connected to CentralWorld Mall and many others surrounding it. Also within walking distance are street stalls. It does sit on a one way system and is one of the busiest roads so traffic outside can be busy.

We found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful with great English. Whether it be reception, concierge, housekeeping we were greeted with a smile and nothing was too much trouble.

We weren't that impressed with breakfast. We paid extra as our room rate didn't automatically include it but we wish we hadn't bothered. The orange juice, tea and coffee were not drinkable. We stuck to the egg station with toast each day. There were pancakes made to order, a small selection of fruit and cereals and savories available but again, for a 5 star it wasn't up to standards.

We visited the bakery on the lower ground quite a few times and found it to be excellent. A huge choice for hot drinks, fruit juice, cakes and sandwiches available.

We also went to the Red Sky Bar which was fantastic. Excellent views over Bangkok, good background music and service. We ordered a few drinks each and also a couple of starters as nibbles which were delicious. It wasn't cheap but I didn't expect it to be. It was similar prices to what I pay back home for drinks in a nice venue but without the views!

We visited the pool after a hard days shopping, the water was freezing and the sunbeds were quite crammed. We moved to the chill out areas where the Jacuzzi's are but we weren't impressed. There were glasses stacked up from others that had previously been sitting there, the water in the Jacuzzi was too cold to go in and all in all it just needed a sweep and clean. We didn't stay long. However we didn't go to Bangkok to chill by the pool so we weren't too bothered by this.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay and would stay again. You can not get a better location that the Centara Grand. However there should be some small improvements to deliver the standards of a 5 star. Based on the price we paid we still thought it was excellent value.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple