“Hard to believe this an award of excellence winner. Disappointing it could be very nice.”
Review of Yantarasiri Resort

Yantarasiri Resort
Ranked #194 of 402 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 10 March 2017

I did not book this hotel our travel company did. Not impressed.

I was a bit amazed to see that this hotel received a trip advisor award of excellence. What happened to the standards? Did we catch it on a bad week?

I know you don't have to be an expensive place to win the award as like most folks, if you arrange for a value hotel and it is clean, well maintained with good staff, it can be an award winner.

On the surface this hotel is very striking with northern thai architecture, lush greenery, nice looking pool and friendly staff. The let down is the cleanliness and maintainence.

Our room was filthy. marks, stains on walls, stains on sheets and comforters. my wife's bed had torn sheets. We refused to move in until they changed out sheets and towels. the next day, there was a noticeable positive difference in overall cleanliness of the room. still didnt want to dig to far into the corners to see how clean.

Unfortunately twice since, we've had a repeat of torn sheets and very stained towels. while they might have been washed, you always wonder what the brown stains originated from. So we stocked up on clean ones from the cart when we could.

While walking down the stairs, we walked by the clean sheets and towels spot and noticed that a great many were showing a lot of signs of heavy use and staining. a little disturbing to be quiet frank.

little things, make a difference.. one chair on nice balcony, so good for one person, i guess couples dont like to sit together on second floor as first floor has double chairs. cheap locks on doors, very dim unlit hallways, parsimonious amounts of toilet paper. They constantly replaced the room glasses with glasses that physically looked unclean. thankfully we had sanitizer. room safe is huge but combo is hard to see as area is unlit.

the pool ( as I sit swatting flies ) as others mentioned is very cold. we are used to cold in Canada but there should be solar heat or something. we've watched many people test the waters but very few adults will actually ventured in. I really admire the hardy Chinese kids who seem to last about 10 minutes in it. I only lasted 2. more than 4 seats at pool area would also be nice.

As a fan of planes, I am enjoying the steady parade of planes overhead.

We saw another guest sit at down on a lounger and it collapsed underneath him, the wood and nails rotted out. Fortunately he landed on his derriere, not his head. wish I had the video but staff quickly hauled the chair carcass away.

mosquitos, yes they have them. they did fog once while we were here for the 6 nights. constant mosquito repellant is the name of the game for me. which makes hanging at the pool time limited as does some odd smells drifting in from somewhere near the pool and breakfast area from under the buildings.

Breakfast is good.. yogurt fresh, eggs to order and the usual Asian breakfast buffet, which can be tasty. they do rollover the hot buffet items daily.

there are great coffee shops close to the hotel for morning caffeine fixes. nice restaurants within easy walking distance..

we walked back to hotel from old town once. quite a hike but doable. 30 baht on the small red bus trucks is far easier.

good neighbour hood for walking. big modern nearby mall, the Maya, has everything. good selection of food stalls in area as well.

My advice, look for another hotel, till this hotel ups it's standards and refreshes towels, rooms etc. having wandered the area and poked our heads into some other very nice hotels, look elsewhere.

overall I started to think it was a two the smell, bugs and the other points kept bringing it back down.

if we hadn't already paid for the hotel through our travel agency all points east or allpoints east out of uk, we would have moved.

I would not have stayed if I hadn't already paid in full for hotel through allpoints east travel uk agency. Another lesson learned.

Room Tip: lots of mosquitos so perhaps second or third floor better. ground floor have walkout, second floor...
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank coppermike

Reviewed 17 January 2017

I have stayed here various times over the years, and while I love the location and the blueprint I will say that my most recent visit proved the hotel needs a bit of an overhaul. The rooms are dated and new bedding, towels, bathroom appliances need to be installed.

That said, we had a lovely stay here. There are pros and cons. It would be ALL pros if they just updated a bit.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2017 via mobile

Beautiful property in a great location that needs some maintenance and management. The Lana buildings are gorgeous, as are the trees and flowers, but our room (one of their best, executive suite) hasn't been updated in many years, in need of new paint, new TV, bathroom refresh, and bedding and towels, all of which were old and sub-standard for the price point. Ceiling fan in bathroom was filthy.

Individual staff were friendly, but management was weak. We left for the day (9am -2pm), and our room was not made up despite leaving the sign on the door asking for the room to be made up.

This place has so much potential. Not currently a good example of Thai hospitality, especially given the price (~$130 a night).

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2017 via mobile

I like to review things positively to promote the good places. If something isn't good, I just don't post a review. Being in business is tough and most people running a hotel or restaurant mean well and work hard. For me, a 3 star would be an average, expected, type of experience. My stay here was a step down from that. The place is in a decent location next to a lot of action. It is also close to the airport so you'll hear the jets overhead. When I walked in to my room the walls had tons of marks in them from furniture being moved around and luggage being smacked up against the wall. Lots and lots of noticeable marks. Nobody in the hotel had ever thought to touch up the room? That was bugging me and then we looked at the bed comforter, and I counted 4 splotchy noticeable stains: a tan one, a brown streak, a blue one, and a pink one. That was gross. Then my wife pulled back the sheet and a long black hair was in the middle of the bed. Clearly the bed sheets had not been changed since the last people were there. I think looked at the canopy above our bed and it was full of dust.

I have never in my life walked into a hotel room and decided I needed to find a other place to stay. We looked for another hotel but it just wasn't feasible with the group we were traveling with.

We called the front desk. It was late at night and we were exhausted from a big day of touring. The housekeeping had gone for the day so the overnight front desk did the best to find new bed linens for both beds. It took then awhile but they got it done. We took the dusty canopy down.

When something like this happens the problem because that if the staff can't manage the noticeable parts of cleaning a room, what else isn't getting done that I can't see. I opened up the AC unit and of course the filter was caked with dust too. Gross again.

We complained in the morning. Management did in fact do a heavy cleaning of the room which we appreciated. After that, we lived with it.

Breakfast was so-so.

The TV is an ancient tube style TV.

I don't know who was checked out here, management or ownership. Still, all I would have needed was clean sheets, clean walls, and a dust free room. I'm not that picky.

I expected some type of 'we are sorry so here is a credit on your bill'- 1 night, half a night? I do this in my own business and mistakes happen. I got a bowl fruit.

Anyway, the other people we were traveling with said their rooms were in good shape. Not sure why ours wasn't maintained.

Stayed: January 2017
1  Thank WCCZip43
Reviewed 28 December 2016

Stylistically the hotel has a nice wooden vintage feeling. Lots of green throughout the hotel, it makes you forget you are in the "city".
Hotel staff is friendly.
Rooms are comfortable, we picked a room with a bath tub...the bath tub is HUGE and it takes approximately 3 hours to fill it up. Nice hot shower with extra pressure also.

Breakfast had a nice variety of mixed Western and Thai options, also a cook is ready to bake fresh omelettes on demand.

The location of the resort is convenient with cafes and restaurants around it.

Great stay!

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2016

This is a small boutique-style hotel set in a lovely garden. The location is right in the thick of things in the Niman area. However, the hotel compound is walled up and secluded. But the surrounding area is all built up and full of construction work, so you might hear loud construction sounds. The room is well furnished with dark wood but dated. It is clean but furnishings and fittings are old. Lighting is good. Staff are good. Basically there are 3 floors. Rooms on the ground level have direct access to ponds and the garden or the pool. Rooms on the 2nd level have a balcony. Rooms on the 3rd level are larger in lieu of a balcony. Breakfast is like any 3-star hotel breakfast in Thailand; that means insipid and lacking in inspiration. You'd do well to stick to the eggs and bacon. Coffee, if it can be called coffee, was totally horrible. Because the area is in the flight path, the plane noise is quite loud, starting from before 6 am till after midnight.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 December 2016

We mostly enjoyed our stay at Yantarasiri Resort. The staff was very friendly and always greeted our son when we came back from a long day. The cleaning lady was the absolute best and she went over and above many times when our son was sick with a stomach bug. She even washed his blankie for free and stocked us with extra sheets and towels.

The only negative things were during my son's illness, the bath water turned a terrible yellow/brown color and remained that way for over a day. The staff instructed us to let the water run, insisting it would eventually run clear. It didn't and not being about to bathe our sick son and the 100degree weather made a really rough day.

I wouldn't let that deter you from booking here though, as the water throughout Chiang Mai and be iffy wherever you go.

One thing I would suggest is skipping the breakfast plan, it was really subpar. Just a few types of bread, some old eggs, a pitcher or milk, juice and some flies hanging out around some fruit. You'd be a lot better off just walking to any restaurant down there street and grabbing something there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ground level with pool access.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family