All reviews complimentary snacks manager jon beautiful hotel black and white theme balcony room ginger drink thai desserts wet towels old city french doors sticky rice with mango made to order eggs colonial style the open air lobby definitely stay here again lobby area facing the street
Reviewed June 16, 2018 via mobile

A lovely traditional Lanna style hotel in center of the old town. It has been modernized for creature comfort and tastefully decorated. The staff are genuinely warm and friendly and very very helpful. Breakfast is the only negative but its hard to cater a wide range in a boutique size hotel. Highly recommended.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nickjF78
Reviewed June 13, 2018

It all started when we first arrived at the hotel. The staff (in particular Arm, May and this other girl - I can't remember her name) were extremely warm, they never stopped smiling and treated us with so much warmth and sincerity. The hotel was beautiful with a rich history behind it. We met Jon, the boss on the 2nd day and he was the best at making us feel so at home and taken care of. He took time to share with us on Chiang Mai, its history, and recommendations of where to dine and visit. Our trip was made perfect because of the Heritage team opening up their hearts and doors to us. Will definitely recommend it to anyone going to Chiang Mai and choose going back to them anytime.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2018

We traveled with our 2 year old daughter and 5 year old son. They love this hotel! There are great snacks and breakfast choices for kids. The room was specious and clean.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We were trying to find a way to get to this not so famous temple which was quite far away and we weren't sure whether to get there by renting a car ourselves, get a driver, get a taxi or get a van. The staff were exploring those choices for us and made some great recommendation. Eventually we decided to get a van and the driver was very friendly in suggesting great attraction places for the kids.

The location of the hotel itself is very convenient. We could walk to many nearby places including restaurants by ourselves.

This hotel will definitely be our choice of stay next time we come to Chiang Mai. My son was begging us to stay here for another 4 days :)

For service, I'd like to give the highest possible score as I've never seen any hotel staff care about how will I get around town as much as the staff of 99 Heritage.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed May 2, 2018

Worst check in experience! Mistake 1 - I booked and paid in advance for 7 nights in the most expensive room (Heritage Balcony room) via Agoda, the description on both Agoda and Booking.com showed pictures and description of this room which meet my needs, despite it being the most expensive. Thankfully I had screen shots and print outs of this room with my reservation confirmation.

It seems like this hotel has been deliberately misleading guests and allocating the lower priced, smaller rooms on the pretext that there has been a mistake with their reservation system and the largest rooms are fully booked. Worse still they make you wait for over an hour after check in on the pretext that they are getting a great room ready for you (implying they are doing you a favour and giving an upgrade) then they put you in a room which is smaller and lower rate and insist that that room is the highest grade in hotel. We eventually got taken to our room and I was disappointed in the size and when I checked my internet and docs, was angry to see the picture of the room booked was nothing like the room they allocated. We then had to go back to reception and we were given so many different excuses and they insisted that the room allocated was same as room booked - when we showed them the pictures and asked where in the hotel is the room in the picture, they could not answer coherently. Eventually after "phone call to the owner" we were given the room in the picture, which was great. The rest of our 7 night stay was fine, breakfast and snacks were great but despite visiting Chiang Mai every year, we would not return to this unethical hotel

Room Tip: Heritage Balcony room
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Calabaykid
Reviewed April 30, 2018

I wish I could provide two reviews for this hotel. One would be five star, which I am opting to give it here, in good will, because I did enjoy my stay at this hotel very very much and it is simply divine. The other rating and review would be scathing, and one star, which I will give it if corrections are not made for at least one of the two issues I had, the false advertising of room sizes for this hotel on numerous websites. I have given them four months to correct the issue and at the moment, it has yet to happen.

First, the positive - this is a perfect little hotel, especially if you book and get the larger rooms. It is a beautifully renovated historic structure, a sublime level of taste in the black and white colonial themes and selection of wall hangings, furniture, manner of bathroom renovation and general ambiance of all public spaces. The staff is wonderfully helpful, and the hotel is spotless, provides a fine breakfast and is simply a joy to sit around and relax in, while central to everything and surrounded by good food options. The owner is very hands on and quick to make recommendations and quite interactive. Having said this, he also seems to assume he is the smartest person in the room most of the time and can appease you easily with words.

If you are lucky enough to book one of the larger rooms facing the street, they are absolutely perfect, a very large 300+ square feet, and with every comfort and amenity. We loved our (2nd) room. On the flip side are cramped 150 square foot nondescript rooms not remotely at the same level of decor, amenity, space-- and oddly never shown in any images on the booking sites under the actual category the hotel seems to book them in (deluxe)-- and worse, never listed at this footage for the lowest denomination room on any site for any date. A shock when you arrive and are placed in these closet-like spaces that look NOTHING like images of the room you think you booked. There are essentially no 150 sq ft rooms listed on all the sites, but the majority of the 'delux' rooms booked will be assigned to this type and this size (based on conversation with two desk people). So when you book at 300 sq foot room on Expedia, Booking, Agoda or any other third party site, at the lower end of the three types of room this establishment offers, be prepared to be put into something very very different. In our case, I protested, and strongly, and luckily during our stay in peak season there was a large room of the correct size and matching images online for what we booked on Expedia available to move us to, but this was done after calls to the owner, and with a repeated implication that the owner had done us a rare 'upgrade' favor --when in fact, the booking we had clearly showed the 300+ sq footage we selected (which was now deemed "website error"). I was quick to point out all their deluxe category on all websites had the incorrect square footage listed on all websites. I had a long discussion with the owner about this the next day, and he claimed a different web agency listed the rooms for them and he had to inform them to correct this error and would do so right away. After waiting four months, I see nothing has been done, which makes me wonder about the honesty of those statements. Especially as I now see other clients have been stuck in these rooms. Some people may not look at square footage when booking, but for others it is a major aspect of room choice. Truth in advertising is essential. For us, we got the room eventually, and it was a wonderful room and stay (hence 5 stars here).

The second major issue, is that the wifi security at this place is highly suspect. Use at your own peril - likely not a danger for beyond minor snooping activity, but irritating to find this goes on, even though you should assume it does everywhere. We accept that these 'open' wifi no-password networks are not safe and "people might see info sent over this network" but its quite something to realize hotel establishment (or one individual, at least) is doing this. This was without a doubt, as name utilized to greet us by the owner was strictly an online pseudonym- never in print anywhere. I suppose this would be enough for a one star review, but I blame myself for not utilizing VPN - and I imagine this sort of thing is rampant in similar hotels. Lesson learned.

These two ethical concerns with the hotel management make me vacillate between a one star review and the five star one I have selected: For now, I am honoring all other aspects of a beautiful hotel which make it a fantastic experience and without a doubt the top stay in this lovely town and respecting the fact that they did give us the correct size room eventually. I hope that they will correct all their room advertising errors and booking site images/square footage in coming months. Seems a pity to cause dismay in customers when the hotel has so much to offer.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple