“Comfortable stay ”

Thannatee Boutique hotel
Ranked #38 of 392 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

Overall it's a nice hotel. I would have liked a little more attention to detail in the fixtures and fittings for the money but that's a little bit nit picking. The rooms are a little bit on the small side but there's a good sized wardrobe and a set of shelves if you want to put things away. Some of the negative reviews are so strange. Yes there are insects, it's Thailand, I've been to many hotels in Thailand, in Chiang mai, Bangkok and krabi. All have insects, it's sub tropical. If you don't like them then don't go to south east Asia. It's not the hotels fault. As far as the night market goes, first I don't think people understand how many there are. There are at least 3 I could walk to. The closest is a 15 minute walk or a 60bht tuc tuc. Maybe the people moaning got lost. It's an old city with a maze of small roads. A quick look on Google maps would fix that. The pool is small but clean and there are always fresh towels. Breakfast is pretty standard for Thailand. During this trip I also stayed in places costing almost double and got basically the same. Eggs are cooked to your style and fresh when ordered which was a nice touch.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

This is quite a lovely looking place I must say. Nice gardens and streams. The room decor looks to be solid Teak wood with an artistic headboard.Nice looking bathroom and shower.They prepare very good food if you would like. The staff is friendly, but things get lost in translation. I was not feeling well and asked for aspirin. I got a puzzled look and said Tylenol! BINGO!
As far as free shuttle no. You can climb in the back of a Toyota flatbed for 30THB and show the driver where you are going.
Booking.com charged $66 a night and Trip Advisor charged $52. Either price is OK! BUT this place has a small insect problem. I will go to Holiday inn and do a reconnaissance mission.$45 a night hmmm.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 October 2017

After much research, I booked this hotel because of it's high ratings. However, in retrospect, I wish we had gone with a different hotel.

The biggest problem for us was the bugs. We were used to the mosquitos in Thailand and had plenty of bug spray. But the problem at Thannatee was different. I saw some tiny little black bugs on the wrapper of the bathroom cups, and also a bunch of tiny spider looking things under one of the juice spouts at breakfast. It disgusted me enough that I really couldn't enjoy our stay.

Because Chiang Mai is an older city amidst lots of trees and rain, many of the older hotels seem like they would have bug problems. If I were to go again, I would look for one that is newer and better maintained. Even if that means paying significantly more, it would greatly enhance the travel experience.

They picked us up from the airport in a nice van, so we appreciated that. But they also advertise a free shuttle to the Sunday night market, but when asked, they said they would call us a cab. The hotel is NOT walking distance to the Sunday night market and it is very hard to get to the city center even though it is close, because there is no clear path to the city center. You have to fight vehicular traffic and there is a very big street you have to cross with no light. It's not that easy with all the traffic! We took the cab and tuk tuk to the Saturday night market and the Sunday night market, which was pretty cheap, but a hassle.

The view from our room was into an old building with mold on the outside which was also not pleasant. The Jacuzzi was too loud to really use at night, so we didn't end up using it. It was irritating that the hotel did not have a shower, just the shower head in the bath. The water got everywhere when you try to wash up after a long day.

We loved Chiang Mai but would not come back to this hotel, unfortunately.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jocelyn P
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Great hotel decor and design with great mix of beautiful traditional and modern room. The staff are friendly and helpful with place to visit around the city. Surely is a hidden gem that i was lucky to found from so many hotel to chose for with the similar price offering.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2017

We arrived at Thannatee boutique hotel after an endless taxi drive as the taxi driver could not find the place. When we got there he burst out in laughter and drove off. We entered the hotel and it was clearly much smaller than the pictures on internet. Smart use of mirrors and photographer lenses. English is not very strong with the staff and not very friendly either. Ourroom was so small we had to coordinate with eachother to make it to the bathroom without tripping over our suitcases. Breakfast was average, not very tasty. I think it is ok for a one night stay but certainly not longer. Its location at a five minute walk from chiang mai night bazar is simply not true. By car maybe but walking it is at least 30 minutes.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank annetteds2016
Reviewed 12 August 2017

Great little hotel, I stayed once upon arriving in Chiang Mai. I was picked up in a nice air conditioned van from the airport and greeted with a cold towel and some type of drink. After check in I was shown to my room. This hotel doesn't have an elevator. The décor is beautiful! The rooms have a little fridge, as well as coffee and tea. The room had bottled water, fruit and a cold cloth (sealed package) in the fridge. The bathroom was stocked with lots of little goodies if you forgot anything. My only real complaint from my first stay was footsteps from upstairs. All the floors are wood, so I assume someone was walking around their room with shoes on. I visited BEES Elephant Sanctuary for a week, and the staff at Thannatee was nice enough to store some of my luggage for me. Everything was just as I left it; check in was the same as the first time around. The hotel was helpful in booking a few tours for me, as well as my taxi to the airport. The food in the restaurant is good, the pool is small, but nice. The hotel offers laundry service, but it seemed expensive, charging per item. There are many laundry services surrounding the hotel that charged by the kg. Or, if you have a patio like I did, hand wash and dry outside. The grounds within the property are gorgeous. It's a relatively short walk into the Old City, but I believe they offer a free ride into the market (not back). If you're looking for a quite hotel away close to the action, but not in the middle of it, this is a great place with helpful staff!

Stayed: February 2017
Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

Thannatee Boutique was amazing. The staff were welcoming, friendly and helpful. The rooms were small but beautifully decorated and we'll laid out. The grounds were stunning and the location brilliant. Breakfast was a perfect mix of European and Thai, accompanied by fresh fruit and sweets for after. Our meal in the restaurant was beautiful in presentation and taste.
Highly recommend!