“Gorgeous hotel, great service and good value!”

Anantara Chiang Mai Resort
Ranked #10 of 381 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Singapore, Singapore
“Gorgeous hotel, great service and good value!”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed in a Club Suite for 3 nights, with a stay 3, pay 2 nights deal. It was great value for money as we got to enjoy champagne breakfast (nice cooked breakfast, especially the turmeric rice and seafood noodles; eggs ben were pretty good too!), complimentary tea, and cocktails and canapés in the evening at the Club Lounge. We had our toddler with us, so we could not make full use of the latter as children under 12 are not allowed in the lounge then. The little extras like free laundry and mini bar were nice touches which made our stay even more pleasant. Service at the Club Lounge was always friendly and professional. I requested a cake to celebrate my husband's birthday and they obliged.

I love the hotel - thought it was beautiful the moment we arrived (by complimentary pick-up from the airport). Lovely, spacious grounds. Clean, contemporary design which is not too "cold" thanks to the generous use of teak. Huge room, with a large balcony, and a good sized bed set up for our toddler (the mattress was a little thin for this extra bed, but our kid had no complaints). The bath area is lovely and they remembered to prepare a set of towels for our toddler, which I realize most hotels tend to forget. Housekeeping here is very good!

If you can afford it, go for the Club Suites as I think the extras make it worth the while, especially with the attractive 3-for-2 deal. I would love to come back here again!

1 Thank Tze Wei W
CCMGM, General Manager at Anantara Chiang Mai Resort, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear Tze Wei W,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor.

I am glad to know that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, especially since you were comfortable with the arrangements we made for our youngest guest.

Your thoughtful comments on Kerry Hill's design of the hotel are much appreciated and I hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you again in the not too distant future.

Stefan Noll

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Tamworth, Australia
Reviewed 21 April 2012

A wonderful hotel, interesting architecture and fantastic service. GM Stephan has moved from Ubad and continues his good work. Pool was fantastic for a quick dip before breakfast. Make friends with the temple kittens!
Higly recommended.

Room Tip: Choose a club room with a river and pool view
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank chrls_m
CCMGM, General Manager at Anantara Chiang Mai Resort, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Dear Chris_m,

Thank you for staying with us and your very kind comments.

I am glad to see you enjoyed the hotel's design and service.
Kerry Hill has been the architect of the hotel and with his contemporary designs he has made himself a great name in the industry.

Our 34 meter pool is a favorite for many of our guests, especially since it offers beautiful views over the river Ping.

Once again many thanks for staying with us and for taking the time to share your feedback here on tripadvisor.

Stefan
Itabashi, Japan
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I was planning my weekend in CNX, and as usual reccomended by many 5 stars hotel, I called directly to better know availability and price. I know this hotel well and it's really nice, I was been there other time. It's a beautiful hotel, and I love my stay so much... but... BEWARE!!!!!
That is what happened yesterday....

A stand offish man answered me, in a rude tone as I'm his servant, regarding my request and asking me 12.247 THB for a normal de luxe room.
I was pretty dazed because now it's low season...and normally, with good guest as me, they are always trying to cut the price, or giving at the same price a better room...Never mind, I was thinking..the price is too high in this period..I will choose another hotel.
For a chance I was looking a website..Latestays.com to find another place and....
what's surprise when I had seen that the Chedi is sending rooms on this website so different !!!
6189 THB..for a deluxe with breakfast and 9284 THB for a suite (with B)!!!!
I called back immediately to know why???
I was feeling as they make a mockery of me!!!
On first they were again rude...but...when I mentioned I'm expert tripadvisor member and I was going to write my experience, they changed music...the lady who started to speak with me as rude, become sweet as honey...
I'm not not just born...I'm an over fifty lady, used to travel...so I understand well her change...
She told me she were going to speak with the GM to find the better price, and bla bla bla...
I told her...yes...yes...only to stop the conversation..I was already really astonished and so disappointed than I don't like to be there anymore!!!!!
Chiang Mai has so many beautiful hotels...so where is the problem???
I don't like to use one cent in that place!
So tripadvisor's friend BEWARE this place...they are kidding the guest, and that is really, really a shame!!!!
( Today they wrote me, proposing a room, 9.012 ++ thb, deluxe, and 13.500++thb...but they didn't mention "apologize us because we where rude and wrong, because we lost face with you"...no...only looking for a kidding price... and that is all...
Congratulation GHM you have a great staff in CNX...send them to have private lessons at Legian in Bali...or in Muscat where GHM was so great during my past vacations...)

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank PeterPatItalia
Dear PeterPatItalia,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here on TripAdvisor.

I appreciate your intention to spend your weekend at The Chedi Chiang Mai and regret that this incident had resulted in you choosing another hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused by the situation, or the manner in which your query was handled. I'd like to assure you that we had no intention of upsetting you, or give you an impression that we were insincere.

Whilst I understand that you have chosen to stay at another hotel in this instance, I would like to explain the rates and help clarify the situation. Hopefully, you'll give us another chance and stay with us on your next trip.

During the period of your intended stay we are nearly fully booked and we sell those remaining rooms only at premium rates, especially for last minute requests. This principle is applied year round and not subject to high, or low season.

It is correct that you had seen a promotion on one of our online travel agency partners' websites. However, due to our high occupancy levels, we had actually closed these promotions online. They may be visible but were, in fact, not bookable.

I can understand that this may have been disappointing and that you had been surprised by the rate quoted on the phone, especially since it is quite a bit higher than when you last stayed with us in 2008. I hope that the above explanation clarifies the rate offered and that we were not trying to overcharge you or deal with you in any manner which may have been deemed insincere.

As I have mentioned in my separate email to you, I hope that you will give us another chance in the future in order to restore your faith in The Chedi Chiang Mai.
Once again my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Byron Bay, Australia
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Stayed here for three nights and could have stayed a lot longer.
This is a great refuge for some luxury and relaxation in Chiang Mai.

Room - stayed in the lowest grade room and it was still great. Plenty of space, hanging space, safe, luggage storage, blackout curtain, balcony with daybed and a view of the pool and river. Quality fitout and a very comfortable King bed. Bathroom had a deep bath, rainshower and nice wash products. Quiet air-con and excellent wi-fi.

Relaxation - the infinity pool here is fabulous. Not particularly wide but long. Maybe 25 metres or so. Plenty big enough to really swim and float about even with a number of swimmers. Soft water easy on the skin and eyes. Lounges by the pool overlooking the river with excellent poolsie F&B service, towels, umbrellas and magazines/papers. Spent hours hanging out there and swimming. Excellent.

Food - Had breakfast, snacks and dinner every day. Excellent every time. Breakfast is a great buffet. Dinner menu is split into Thai, Western and Indian options. Went for the Indian options every night and delicious every time. Restaurant is very romantic at night. In fact the whole place is beautifully lit in the evenings. Lovely to sit quietly by the pool after dinner.

Service - really excellent service at this hotel. All staff spoke English well and were cheerful, professional and friendly. They must be making a significant effort to recruit and train their staff well because the service was consistently high quality.

Value - it's a pricey place to stay in Chiang Mai but for me, totally worth it. Modern, understated design, quality service, food, leisure and fitness facilities. Couldn't fault it. Totally recommended.

Room Tip: Closer the river and higher floor have the best views.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Rijkevorsel Belgium
Reviewed 17 April 2012

A very nice hotel...where sometimes "design" is more important than customers comfort.
Breakfast,rooms,service at swimming pool and all inclusive services are super !
BUT ...do not use any of the services that are charged because the prices are scandalous!
So for instance they charged me nearly 600 bath for two "one minute" "local" phone calls..
real cost (verified!!) 14 bath ....this more than the room-maids earn in two days!!!And on my complaint desk-manager laughed in my face..so i promised too mention this on tripadvisor.

1 Thank deluc01
CCMGM, General Manager at Anantara Chiang Mai Resort, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Dear Deluc01,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your feedback on tripadvisor.

I am glad to know that you have overall enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your kind comments on our services.

I have taken a look at your two calls, which were both made to a mobile number and lasted a total of about 15 minutes. I apologise for the inconvenience these charges may have caused. As opposed to most other hotels we offer complimentary Wi-Fi acces to all our guests regardless of their room category and have notebooks available for free of charge use for our guests. Our IT team happily sets up your skype account on the notebook for your convenient use.

Once again my apologies for any inconvenience caused and I hope we may welcome you again in the not too distant future.

Regards
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 16 April 2012

we had a wonderful time at Chedi. The Club suite is very comfortable, clean and large. we stayed with our two kids. The staff was very polite, helpful and nice. The service was equally professional. The breakfast buffet was also quite successful. There is a mosquito problem for sure as the hotel is right next to the river. Beware and bring your own mosquito repellent. The hotel also provides mosquito tablets. The location is very nice, a short walk from the Whole Earth restaurant where we had a wonderful dinner. Highly recommended. We would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Club suite
Leeds
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Stayed 4 nights in March.
I would echo much of what has been said already in reviews.
- We deliberated whether to upgrade to a Club Suite but decided against it as we felt we'd be out of our room a lot in Chiang Mai and there wasn't any need. The deluxe room was perfect. Spacious, well set out, plenty of storage space for clothes and luggage. In respect of the extras you get with the Club Suite then we didn't feel we missed out on much. An air con taxi from the airport cost only 150baht (250 back to airport when booked via Chedi). There is a laundry about 100 metres from the Chedi charging 70baht per kilo to wash and iron clothes - it's a 24 hour service and was very good. There's a 7/11 next door to the laundry for stocking up on drinks/snacks etc. So, for us, the only real benefit would have been a larger room, which we didn't really need. We didn't use our balcony due to the heat/mosquitoes at this time of year.
- Bed was very comfy.
- Fab shower, best in all 4 hotels we used in Thailand, and very nice toiletries/robes. White fluffy towels.
- Breakfast was superb. Spoilt for choice, and excellent quality. Finally, a hotel that can poach eggs without half a ton of vinegar in the water!
- Gorgeous pool, cold water, huge towels, cold flannels and cooling spray provided on arrival.
- Location good, an easy stroll to some markets, a longer walk in to town (do-able, but challenging in the heat). In any case tuktuks in Chiang Mai are not expensive, and to hire a taxi for a day is also cost effective for longer trips/sightseeing out of town.
- Good wifi service in rooms.
- Great turn down service.

We loved the Chedi and highly recommend it. The staff are excellent and the hotel is very well run. The manager is very sociable and pleasant - all credit to him and his team for the guest experience at the Chedi.

Room Tip: Ask for river view, even if you're not in a Club Suite. If they can accommodate you, they will...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple