“Once in a lifetime experience ”

Patara Elephant Farm - Private Tours
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

We got picked up from our hotel and drove 45 minutes to the farm.
First all of all we got to interact with 2 babies and 2 mums. This was great as it allowed us to get a little bit used to the elephants before we met our own.
I was very nervous due to how big they were.

We did the full day elephant Owner and me and my husband shared an elephant. Because we shared an elephant we got a big big elephant! We brushed him, learnt about the signs of a healthy elephant, bathed him and rode him bare back.

What we took:
We went in our bathing suits with clothes over the top and sandals that strap to your feet. (If you wear flip flops you have to take them off before going on the elephant)
When we went in the water we wore our bathing suits and a top with water shoes. I'd really recommend water shoes as there are a lot of rocks in the pool.
When we got out of the water we had time to change from our wet outfit in to dry.
Camera
Sunscreen and mosquito repellent

I was super nervous to ride the elephants and was unsure whether I would ride our elephant. I did and I'm really glad that I did BUT it is not easy.

I spent a lot of time researching a place to go that isn't unlawful to the elephants and I'm glad we found patara.

We didn't feel that our experience was any different in our experience because we shared an elephant. To be honest I was glad because I was nervous I was able to take a step back at some points and let the husband do more.

Highly recommended

1  Thank Chloe L
Write a ReviewReviews (3,931)
All reviews
in 53 reviews
"highlight of our trip"
in 115 reviews

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

We were collected from our hotel in Chiang Mai to Patara, a journey of around 45 minutes. We did the Elephant Day Care session which was half a day. We had a wonderful time, feeding them, exercising them, learning about their health and then we also bathed and washed them in the river. Be prepared to get a bit dirty and soaked by these beautiful animals. We had a nice snack half way of sticky rice and fruit and unlimited water. We then were taken on a 5 minute drive to the area with Mums and babies and spent about 1 hour washing and cuddling the tiny elephants. Magical experience. The elephants were very happy and well cared for by the team of handlers and you can see the bonds they have. Would certainly suggest this trip when In Chiang Mai.

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

It has been a week since we visited and we still cannot stop talking about it! If in chaing mai, you must visit this place. Each person is given their own elephant and the groups are small so make sure you book well in advance. Before even starting to bond with your elephant you are given the opportunity to play and get to know all the elephants in a really relaxed environment. The trainers were extremely professional and were very helpful when feeding, washing and riding the elephants. A really incredible experience to ride the elephants bare back. A professional photographer is part of the entire journey and all photos are uploaded later that evening for everyone to download. Can’t thank the staff enough for such a memorable experience!

Reviewed April 1, 2018

Our family of five completed the elephant owner for a day program. While this option is among the highest priced for an elephant activity, we wanted to make sure that we were in an elephant reserve where the elephants are not being harmed in any way. Following a one hour drive through windy roads, we spent several hours with the elephants completing tasks including feeding, washing and bathing in a lake with the elephants. The day included riding the elephants bare back which the handlers emphatically said was not an issue for the elephants. The Patara Elephant School provided my family with an unforgettable experience.