New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Ban Kao Tropical Boutique Residence & Spa

Ban Kao Tropical Boutique Residence & Spa
Ranked #225 of 314 Hotels in Ko Samui
Reading, United Kingdom
“Hidden Thai gem ideal for rest and relaxation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2010

Stayed here in November 2009 after a very long day's travelling from Heathrow to Koh Samui via Bangkok.

Over the last couple of days I've decided that I really should start contributing to Tripadvisor as I read it so much when choosing places to stay. Ban Kao Tropical is one of the first places that I am reviewing, for two reasons. Firstly becuase we loved it so much and secondly because when we booked it, there was only one review on the site and it left me a little nervous to say the least because the deal that I got for the room seemed too good to be true!!

But how wrong was I?....We took advantage of a 3 night for the price of 2 offer for a pool room that came with it's own plunge pool inside a walled garden. It worked out at about £100 for the 3 nights, looking at the website for Ban Kao Tropical now it seems a litte more expensive at about £140 but still excellent value for the money.

Let me make this very clear though, Ban Kao Tripical is NOT for those looking for hustle and bustle, nightlife and shops within walking distance. There is a beach nearby which the resort will take you to free of charge and also a convinience store about 5 minutes drive away. Ban Kao Tropical, is though the perfect place to unwind from a long journey and totally switch off from the daily grind. We stayed here for the first 3 nights of our Thailand trip and found it ideal.

The resort is owned by a French Chef who is a bit of a celebrity in Thailand I am led to believe and you can see exactly what he is trying to achieve, the standard of all the rooms and Villas are top notch and we found the food to be very good in the restaurant and cooked fresh to order.

The Pool Room that we had was really good and anything equivalent in England would cost 5 times as much. The room was on a split level with the living area leading out to the plunge pool and the bed a few steps up from the living area. The Bathroom was top drawer and had a very stylish Dragon shower head. Also provided was a TV with satellite which had a few english channels, which if I'm honest you did need at night due to nothing going on outside of the resort.

The spa was very good also and we both used the services of the lady that worked there having a Thai massage which was reasonably priced.

As I said though Ban Kao Tropical really is for those looking to totally unwind, when we stayed we were the only residents for our last two nights.

I have read that someone was not overly impressed by the lack of english spoken by the staff, perhaps I expect different things but I really had no issue. You need to remember that you are in Thailand, having said that we always had access to one lady who worked in the reception area that could communicate with us who sorted both transport from the airport for us and then onwards to Chaweng when we left. I saw that someone's transfer did not arrive at the airport to collect them, I can only speak for ourselves, we arrived at Koh Samui airport at about 9pm and the first person we saw as we exited the airport was the driver from Ban Kao Tropical waiting for us.

Prior to arriving in Thailand I e-mailed Ban Kao Tropical for a couple of reasons and always got a prompt reply and this only helped to impress me. I read Tripadvisor everytime I book a holiday and only ever take note of the bad reviews and worry thinking "what have we done, it's going to be a cockroach infested hole" and then arrive to always find the total opposite......Please take this review for exactly what it is, a glowing review of Ban Kao Tropical that I would not hesitate to reccomend to friends and family and somewhere that I would not hesitate to stay again!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank CraigandNatEvans

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
CYPRUS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2010

We have booked this residence for our honeymoon trip to Samui.It was our second visit to beautifull Samui but we wanted to try a different kind of accommodation,more secluded and private.And so we booked a 3 bedroom villa at the Ban kao tropical residence and spa just to spoil our selves.It is located in Ban kao area wich is about thirty five minutes drive from the airport.When arriving we had a pick up service arranged(or at least we thought so)but after waiting for fourty minutes no one showed up to pick us up and we took a taxi to the property wich cost us 1.000 baht.When we arrived at the hotel we were given our money back and of course they appologised for the inconvenience.The scenery is beautiful, tropical,isolated and quiet.It has a homey feeling with a small restaurant and a small common pool.Our villa was big, comfortable and it had a lovely small pool just for us!Lots of trees and flowers everywhere as well as mosquitos,ants and gerkos.That of course was not the problem for us.The major question through our 12 night stay was:'Where is the thai hospitality and service?'It was a low season period and we were practicly alone in this property but that is no excuse.The staff at the restaurant (3 GIRLS) were nice,the food was very good but there was a lack of professionalism!They didnt speak english and they didnt understand english either!Even the guy at the reception couldnt help us with anything unless he made a call to someone who could speak basic english!Everything moves slowly and you got the feeling that you are left alone in the middle of nowhere!Thank God we have rented a car and we could drive around.I dont want to leave a wrong impression and i really had a lovely time overall,but i believe that the managment should make some improvements,in the staff ,the breakfast,and the service.It could be great for a trip with friends but i would not reccomend it for couples or solo travelers.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank CHRISRANNA
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2009

What can we say but its lovely - small but very lovely. The grounds are so tranquil you really feel like you're the real traditional Thailand. The staff are just so amazingly friendly.

GROUNDS
Beautiful and tropical - hence probably the name

LOCATION
Its in a remote location but if you like tranquil, forest and hills looking over beautiful views, and near local fishing villages then this is perfect.

ROOMS
Very spacious and decorated in traditional thai style with modern touches. Room with seprate living area equiped with TV, video, Hi Fi, well equiped fridge. large bathroom, private small terrace.

We loved this hotel and couldn't believe what you got for the price. Definately would recommend and would stay again.

How could I forgot... the staff! They were so calm, friendly and helpful.

• Liked — Rooms and location
  • Disliked — I didn't have enough time there
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Maxiwax