New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Village Coconut Island

The Village Coconut Island
Ranked #3 of 785 Speciality Lodging in Phuket
melbourne
“Would not go back again, feel rather disappointed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

We were so excited to be staying here but I must say we left rather disappointed. We went on this holiday purely to relax so we didn't mind a little isolation, however this place is literally in the middle of no where. It is a good 45 minute drive from Phuket airport to the pier, then you must wait for a dingy style boat to the island, then you must wait again for a tuk tuk to take you to the resort. Lets not even mention the walk from the tuk tuk to your room as the place is so big and spread out. Prepare for at least a minium 1 hour journey to and from the resort regardless of where you want to go and remember, that is travelling all in the extreme heat. We had our 2 year old son with us and our room was literally like a hike up a small mountain to get to. If the guest was frail or old I would hate to imagine how scary it would be and dangerous for them to just get to their front door! Definately not pram friendly either. The rooms are lovely, clean, spacious and well air conditioned, and the private pools and ocean views are undeniably amazing. Without these luxuries however, the place would be a severe No Go zone for us. The resort food and drink prices were typical of a 5 star hotel in Australia and as there is no where else to go, you have to pay it! Also the beach is not swimable and note, when the tide goes out you can see the sewage drain that runs straight into the ocean out the very front of the hotel. We have back packed the world so we are not precious, however, we were let down by this resort and would sadly not go back again.

Room Tip: Eat at the seafood restaurant opposite the pier, its is delicious and much cheaper than the resort.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank angie333pangie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

I am back at The Village again!! I have stayed here 3 times before, and after not visiting for 2 years, alot has changed! There are now even more beautiful villas and suites, more swimming pools (and even water slides!!) and a bigger and better variety of food!
I love coming to Coconut Island because of the relaxed atmosphere, but I know at the same time that everything is being taken care of behind the scenes, and people are on hand to deal with your every need!
The staff are so friendly and accommodating, and I feel completely at home here. After a lazy morning by the pool, I ate lunch in the Thai restaurant with beautiful beach views. Every item on the menu sounds so good, I hope I have time to try them all! Head Chef Lee also has some brilliant recommendations! From fresh seared tuna salad to curried noodle soups... iced coffees to mojitos - these guys have it covered!
I spent the afternoon relaxing at the brand new Spa. The Spa Manager Angel gave me a tour of the new facilities, and then I relaxed in the hydro pool and soaked up the sun. At 3.30 I booked myself and two friends into a Thai Boxing lesson, which was hilarious! We let out all our energy, and were actually kicking and punching pretty well by then end! a word of warning - if you have sunburnt legs, don't participate in the leg kicks - they are a little painful!
This evening I will be hitting happy hour and then dining at the famous Laem Hinn Seafood Restaurant, very conveniently located at the Island's jetty. I have been numerous times before, and this place is a real secret! Curried crab and stir friend morning glory - huge portions and the best I have tasted!
I could carry on writing for ages... but I need to get on and enjoy all this place has to offer!
I would most definitely recommend a stay at Coconut Island. Do not be put off by the negative reviews - I am not sure where their complaints have come from!
Happy Holidays!!!!

Room Tip: The beachfront villas are the best, but the most expensive!! If you have a budget, and given that yo...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Chalong, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

When I arrived, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had been put in a 2-bedroom Pool Villa instead of the Jacuzzi Suite I had booked. All good, the villa was well appointed, with a large pool outside and a substantial bath in the main en-suite (which I figured made up for the lack of jacuzzi).

However, all was not sweetness and light in the Garden of Eden... The first thing to get used to was that there were 3 to 4 power cuts each and every day. As mentioned by another reviewer, if this happened during the night, the aircon tweeted loudly at you when the power was restored - not good. But the thing that was the least impressive was the water pressure. Now I'm a man who likes a good soak, but it took (and no, I am not exaggerating at all here) 90 minutes to draw a bath and the pressure simply wasn't enough to support a shower.

On the plus side, the staff were all very helpful and friendly, the restaurants good and well-priced. And the location, while quirky and a bit inconvenient, was perfect if that was what you were after.

Would I go back? Probably not.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

The beachfront of the resort is quite lovely: 180 degree views of the ocean with near and distant islands, palms, passing boats. There are three tiers of villas on this steep beachfront hill, Grand Villas in the first two rows and Pool Villas on the top row, allowing great views from any level.
The rooms are advertised as "built to international five star standards", and to a point I'd agree (not really knowing what those standards are). The villas are spacious, well-appointed and pleasantly decorated with three air conditioners, comfortable beds, and a lovely pool out the front.
But...
On the home page of the website the resort boasts of "44 stunning Pool Villas with direct sea views of beautiful Phang Nga bay" and "all of our villas benefit from panoramic sea views": this is not true. The three rows of villas on the beachfront hill do, the rest don't. And only 10 (by my count) of the 44 Pool Villas comprise this top row. Over the back of the hill, are the vast majority of Pool Villas and all of the Suites, and while I haven't stood on the deck of all of them, the one we had, had no view of the sea at all. In fact it was quite easy to imagine
that you were in some holiday camp at any inland location, anywhere tropical. Which would have been fine, had that been what we were expecting and we knew we were saving some money with the bargain option, but this is not what the advertising suggested. When you dig
deeper into the website, the beach-view Pool Villas are a different classification and cost more, which is fine, but if you booked through a third party site or via a voucher deal (as we did) you have no need to trawl through the site to find this out, and hence are likely to be sorely disappointed.
Inside the room, as mentioned, it's largely as advertised. However there was no water pressure or hot water resulting in an unformed tepid trickle much of the time, but occasionally there was enough pressure to at least allow a weak flow out of all the holes in the shower-head. Also at least three times a day, during the time we spent in our room, there were blackouts: usually only for a minute or two, max five, but when they occurred at night the air conditioning would restart with a loud and disturbing trill, which I think woke me every time.
The last factor worth a reality check is the location. It is only five minutes by water taxi to the mainland. But it is also a five minute tuk-tuk trip from the hotel. No biggie. But when you get to the mainland, you're miles from anywhere. Well, about 30mins and 400 baht from Phuket Town on a Saturday night was our experience. And coming back, there's waiting time for the water taxi and more waiting time for the tuk-tuks to get you back to the resort. In fairness though, not much waiting time (5-10 mins), and the water taxi even seemed quite happy to
ignore scheduled times to ferry us across when we had just missed a run. But all up, from Old Phuket to our Villa, it was a 50 min trip at 10pm on a Saturday. Trips to Hat Karon are 800 baht, and took about 50 mins for us at about 10am on a Wednesday. Again, that's fine, but once again we found the website misleading.
Back in the plus side though, staying in is great. The restaurant is delicious and reasonably priced (great cocktails 250 baht, mains 2-300 baht). The gym is as advertised, the beachfront pools idyllic (and with a great waterslide!) the day-spa is pleasant and the massages enjoyable, the frontline staff are friendly and try hard, even if not equipped with a great deal of English, and the frontline managers are English speakers, very helpful and willing to assist. Dan, the resort manager, was particularly helpful for us and his assistance made a critical difference to our stay (had he not been so accommodating, we would have written off our voucher as a bad debt and gone elsewhere).
So in conclusion, this resort is a wonderful place to spend some time and I highly recommend it, if you are fully clear on what level of room you are getting for your money, and you realise you are realistically at least 30 mins from Phuket town and probably (not
tested by us) at least 45 mins from Patong. It is also worth noting that The Village does not appear to claim to be a 5 star resort anywhere (on their website I could only find the "rooms built to 5 star standards" line, which is definitely not the same thing); I think this is fitting, as I would say this is more of a 3.5 to 4 star resort (again, just my uninformed opinion).
My hope, in writing this review, is to both fully inform other travelers, and strongly encourage resort senior management to support their staff on the ground (who are the ones who feel the wrath of irate customers) by providing fair and accurate descriptions on their website. This is a great place to stay, when not accompanied by false expectations.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jeff P
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

I travelled to the Village with my girlfriend and returned a week ago. Before we arrived we read many of the reviews on this website and came to one immediate conclusion. Most of the people writing these reviews have not spent a lot of time travelling Thailand. This is our 8th trip in as many years, so we feel we understand the culture, food, prices etc and the first thing i was amazed at people saying was this is expensive! The Village has by far the most amazing jungle scenery surrounding the resort, the Villas and Jacuzzi suites have been elegantly designed to mimic the historic long tail boats used in Thailand and there are activities to suit every type of visitor. When this is accounted for and then the prices are compared to the other 5* resorts on Phuket, the Village is by far the best in terms of value. I do agree there are minor improvements to be made in terms of service, but i think this is simply communication issues, and after talking at length to the staff, they are all eager to learn. All the Thai staff i spoke to were friendly and energetic once they had spoken to me a few times. I did see some people becoming irate with them and shouting, and unfortunately this is NOT ACCEPTABLE in Thai culture so it can only be expected that they then did not serve a customer to their best ability. The food on the island was incredible, and the wood-fired pizzas are the best i've had in Phuket. Prices are higher than local Thai food.....but its not local Thai food....its on an island, with incredible surroundings, in a hotel, and of much better quality. The generator is only a problem for the first day your there and after walking past it a handful of times i completely forgot it was there. It does cause some issues with power cuts, but when i asked about this i found out its because they have to switch the generators and it really is for no more than a minute, a few times a day, so really didn't bother us. All in all this was one of the most romantic relaxing trips of my life, and the jacuzzi suite i stayed in with my girlfriend is perfect for couples. The rooms are very large, with king sized beds, large bathrooms with nice tubs and the jacuzzi is brilliant for relaxing in the evening. I will definitely be returning soon!

Room Tip: Jacuzzi suites perfect for couples!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tj7891
Ashmanator, General Manager at The Village Coconut Island, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear tj7891,

Thank you so much for your kind review. My team and I were so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and your comments regarding our overall value and design were very much appreciated. I shall also pass on your comments regarding the pizza to our Head Chef!

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us so much, and we really hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Village soon.

Best wishes,
The Management, The Village Coconut Island
Helsinki, Finland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

I spent in February/March 2012 2 weeks at The Village Coconut Island with my family and it was my first and last time to that resort. My family includes son (6 years), husband, grandmother and grandfather. We have great expectations for our holiday but actually few of our expectations came true.
Arriving to island was something else than the picture in website presents. There is a long pier where you have to carry your luckages to small boat which takes you to the Coconut Island. The boat took us to the wrong pier which was not definitely “five” star entrance. At the pier we had to squeeze us with all our belongings to the “golf” cars which took us to the hotel entry. Afterwards we understood that the pier in the website was not meant for customer transportation and the “wrong” pier was in daily use.
We were expecting to stay sea side villa, but in the end we happened to stay two bedrooms standard apartment. After long talk with the manager we had at least sea view apartment, but nothing to compare with the pictures of luxury villas on website. Next to our apartment were big construction side and workers spent the siesta next to our apartment. As the hotel advertised the kitchen was not fully equipped western kitchen (no micro, toaster, oven). The kitchen maybe was mainly for coffee making but not for daily meals. All around the furnishing in apartment was standard three star levels, no more. In shower corners we even found “blue cheese” growing. Not in five stars hotels usually have this. The apartments pool was surprising big and its importance grow after getting touch with the beach.
The shopping service on island was so called mini-market. I agree with this totally “mini-market”, the assortment were narrow and the prices were high compared to the mainland prices. Each time when we went to the mainland we have to do some grocery shopping and you can only imagine the shopping backs in the boat and golf car. That was not amusing in the end.
But the most important what all of us was waiting the BEACH. That was all of us BIG disappointment. I must say that all pictures in website mislead all tourists. Before we booked this trip we asked Absolute Finnish representative Kaisa confirm to us the condition of the beach. According to her words the beach is good. Afterwards I just wonder does she even know any other places in Thailand. We had visit Thailand four times before and we have experiences of several different beaches. And this was worst. The beach is dirty, muddy, full of random bottles and woods and definitely not the place for swimming. I did not even want to try the sea. Sea water was all time unattractive. On website the hotel advertises the boat trip to Koh Rang (extra cost) but I think that is not the answer. For the money we paid to stay there it should been free. We paid for the beach and we did not get it.
The pool area is quite good. There are two swimming pools without showers, so you can imagine the pool water. If you planned to come with child who don’t swim yet, just keep in mind there is no children pool. At least my son took everything out of slides. These were good amusement for children and adults when ever those were working. That was all what they actually offered at the pool no any beach activities what so ever.
I don’t complain about the electricity or hot water. I believe that everybody understands when there are breaks and everything does not go smoothly as in western society. But I complain about the restaurant’s. The food was standard and prices, what you can say, with that money in mainland you could have more filling into your tummy. When you are dependent on these two restaurants, it is inevitable that they over rates themselves. And in the evenings there were nothing to do, the restaurant’s did not offer any shows for the customers.
The tuk-tuk drivers and the housemaids earn the acknowledgements. They did their best to serve customers. The manager himself was invisible. Sometimes we saw him driving golf car, but after the first conversation he did not even said hi to us.
The location of this Coconut Island is far away from any other facilities. Whenever you needed to go for city the taxi drivers at the mainland had standard prices, no bargaining allowed. And you can only guess that the prices were naturally higher.
Honestly I can’t recommend Coconut Island to anybody. Hotel website promises were far away from reality! I am very disappointed to the hotel, beach and most of all I am very disappointed to Absolute staff. They have worked very unprofessionally during the whole two weeks stay. We wanted to have face to face conversation with our representative Kaisa at their office but she was too busy to meet us. I got the impression that main target is just to get customers come to island whatever it takes and no matter how bad feelings the customers will have.
All in all, the Thailand weather did not give us any disappointments and in the end I believe that we had relaxing holiday. But unfortunately we will not come back to this resort.

Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Anne H
Tamworth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

We stayed 7 nights in a 2 bedroom seaview villa in February 2012. We did not pay the 5 star prices advertised on theirs and various other websites for this property and thankfully so. This resort is 3.5 star at best and needs to be priced accordingly thus avoiding disappointment if you were expecting a high end resort with all the 5 star trimmings.
Once you are aware of the realities of what is on offer at this resort and hopefully got a good deal price wise you will realise that this is a very comfortable place to stay and unwind for a week or so.
Yes you can access all the Phuket attractions from here but the travel is tedious and should you wish to do this I would recommend you split your Phuket holiday between here and the west coast thus enjoying the best of both worlds.
Coconut Island is a place to relax and chill out with a good book, the TV channels are very limited so reading material is a must. Unfortunately the hot climate plays havoc with the water temperature in the pools which from about 10am onwards heats up like bathwater. The ocean is a bit cooler but I would not recommend submerging your head under water.
The food on offer is generally OK, breakfast is pretty much the same each day with a good selection of hot and cold dishes including Western, Thai and Asian choices. The Italian restaurant is Ok but not outstanding and we thought the portion sizes were a bit on the small size. I suggest that when in Thailand stick to Thai dishes because its what they do best. Food and drinks prices are more expensive than other parts of Phuket but still reasonable compared to western pricing. The seafood restaurant on Laem Hin Pier is quaint but the food is first class, take the boat over to the pier you won't be disappointed. They also sell take away beer at a very reasonable price.
Language for some staff is a bit of a barrier, I suggest you purchase a Thai phrase book and learn a bit of Thai before you go, this will help tremendously and is a lot of fun. We had read a lot of bad reviews about the Absolute people but found them to be unobtusive and friendly which was a relief.
This resort is still in its infancy but will never grow into a 5 star resort due mainly to the standard of buildings, furnishings and service. It is very comfortable though and in a few years time when the vegitation matures it will look fantastic. Hopefully by then they will also have mains power and the drone of the diesel generators will be a thing of the past.

Room Tip: Opt for at least the sea view villas, the view is great and a private pool is worth having. They als...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear RedhorseFlash,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. As you know, we are a relatively new resort, and we have just finished an extensive process of construction and improvement. Our star rating is awarded by an independent body and we are obliged to fulfil certain criteria before this is awarded.

I am very sorry that you did not feel that we warranted our star rating, especially in terms of our building and furnishing, as all of our construction, architecture and interior design was completed to the very highest standard possible, and we have in fact recently won a number of awards on the strength of the quality of the overall design and build.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay overall, and we hope to see you back at The Village soon.

Best wishes,