“Just enjoy the view from the car or bus”
Review of Hai Van Pass

Hai Van Pass
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Full-Day Hue Tour by Military Jeep Including...
Ranked #99 of 1,328 things to do in Vietnam
More attraction details
Owner description: The drive from Da Nang to Hue.
Reviewed 10 February 2018

It's difficult to review such a large area. I will say that the drive up and down is stunning in its beauty. Just stay in the car when you get to the pinnacle, though. There's a small path up the hill that weaves between modern ruins, some of which look like those of military or agricultural buildings. The sickening thing is the path is strewn with garbage. There's so much garbage that you often can't see the path itself! I can't believe all of it (or even most of it) comes from the locals as most of the tourists we saw there were foreigners. It spoiled what would have otherwise been a nice, short hike to a scenic view.

All reviews
"rent a bike"
in 5 reviews
"sunny day"

Reviewed 10 February 2018

I have just visited the hai van pass (made famous by the amazing scenery and the top gear Vietnam special). I have debated the possibility of riding a bike/scooter over the pass since landing in Vietnam. I know lots of people who have done it, however the roads here are crazy. For the past 8 days I have been debating over and over, however finally deciding to view by car. It was not the full experience and I am slightly gutted, however after seeing that the roads on the pass are no better than those in the towns and city's I am glad with my decision. We hired a taxi for the day to see a few other sights and drive up the pass. Stopping every few mins to take in the beauty and take some pics. We finally made it to the top. It was crazy there. Tens and tens of busses and tourists. We quickly jumped out of the taxi and made our way up the concrete path past all of the tourists. Within a few mins you are alone on the steep path, after about 800m-1km there is an opening allowing you to see all out over the bay. In a peaceful and quiet environment. For some reason everyone stays down by the car park.

1  Thank georgelovell9
Reviewed 7 February 2018 via mobile

Even on a foggy, cool day at the end of January, touring the Hai Van Pass with a guide by motorcycle was an exceptional experience. The road is very well kept on the Danang side of the summit - a little less so on the Hue side. If I understand correctly, the Vietnamese army keeps a lookout for any hazards in the area. Terrific vistas. I’d do this trip again in a blink.

Reviewed 31 January 2018 via mobile

Great place to visit and feel the history of the Vietnam war. Weather was awesome - slight drizzle but bearable.
Good month to visit as the weather is very pleasant save for occasional light drizzle. Windy at the pass and need to be careful as it can blow you off your feet.
Overall it was fantastic and my last visit was 20 years ago and it still amazes me now.
Five thumbs up for the magnificent view.