“DON'T bother staying here unless you want overpriced room with minimum facilities”
Review of Saphir Dalat Hotel

Saphir Dalat Hotel
Ranked #55 of 77 Hotels in Da Lat
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I booked a superior room via telephone 1 month prior to my visit to Da Lat. The photos and info from the internet (which i found out not long before, are from the hotel staff themselves) blowned me away.

It was extremely disapointing that my room is way to small, just enough to fit one table, one bed and one chair. The TV is not older than my grand parents, no safe, no extra pillows, no pot... I decided to upgrade into a deluxe room (cost extra $25 for 1 night), which is exactly the same with the superior room except for more floor surface and a bath tub. No table, no sofa, nothing.

The bed was small, tough and coarse. But that is nothing compared to the horribly thin walls and ceiling. I could hear every single conversation and foot steps from the family who stayed in the room right above us.

The only good thing about this hotel was the vintage setting in some random areas.. well just not worth it. I'd rather pay $10 for a museum trip than this. They were lucky I paid in full while booking because I regret staying there from the very first moment I arrived.

Well I wouldnt be this mad if the hotel owner is being honest about its state instead claiming that they are a 4 stars hotel to be able to get more money. I wasted $120 for 2 nights, which is extremely over priced for this kind of hotel, or guest house, whatever it should be.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Res-chan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Look, this place has some positives including the bar with vistas over the town towards the green hills beyond.Also the bed rooms are a nice size and the shuttered windowed bathroom (complete with olde worlde wooden tub)is well-fitted out.
However,due to the fact it has timber floorboards and it's close promixity to a bus terminal noise is a real problem.
Breakfast is served via a cobbled path to an area that doubles for an underground car park and caters mainly to the Asian palate.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChrisnMarge

Travellers are raving about these Da Lat hotels

Tapu Bay
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Hi
I stayed in the Saphir Hotel Dalat for 3 nights whilst on tour in Vietnam
First the good news, it was very clean and central to the city center, staff were very friendly
Now the not so good news, this would have to be the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed at!!
Picture putting a tent up in the middle of the busiest intersection in Saigon then paying all the locals to toot their horns all night and thats about what it was like, I do not know if the hotel design contributed to the problem but it was really, really bad.Next no one spoke English enough to assist me which gets tiresome after a while, the meals were non existent and I was even unable to get a snack on my last night at the bar when it was peeing down outside, the main restaurant was closed.
Breakfast in a big barn type area under the main hotel with trestle type tables and all Vietnamese foods. I think this hotel is more for locals not tourists
Finally on my last night I booked a wake up call for 5am as I had an early departure, luckily I also set my watch alarm, when i got downstairs to reception i found why the wake up call had not happened as the receptionist was asleep on a cot under a mosquito net behind the counter
Over all not my best experience so far I must say

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Simsee
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I'm going on 4 months now travelling through SE Asia and this is one of the coolest places I've seen - well ever. The Saphir Dalat is only two months old as of this review. I spoke with the owner (a civil engineer) who seemed exhausted just speaking about the work he put into building itl. He explained it took him and his partner 6 years from start to finish to design and build, and as soon as you step to the front desk, you can see why. The details in this place are ridiculous. The latern-style light fixtures, the giant wooden bathtubs, large wooden plank flooring, pull-chain toilets, the cobblestone entryway, the glass elevator . They didn't miss a single detail. Seriously.

The staff is also amazing. The gentleman who took our bags and showed us to our room wouldn't even accept a tip!

If all that isn't enough, the location is perfect. It's only a 10-minute stroll to the walking market and lake. It's perched high upon on a hill so even if you get "basement" level room (below the main floor), your view is overlooking the beautiful city with the mountains in the background.

Oh, and I don't know if this will last long but our room was only $30 per night. We accidentally stayed at the River Palace hotel and paid $60 the first night in Dalat and it doesn't even come close to the quality of Saphir. I would easily pay $100 for this place. But I'll stop now, just stay here and thank me later.

Room Tip: Booked on agoda.com for the cheap rate.