“Good mountain course layout”

Dalat Palace Golf Club
Ranked #20 of 46 Outdoor Activities in Da Lat
More attraction details
Owner description: Dalat Palace Golf Club (DPGC) was voted the country’s top course in the most recent rankings from both Vietnam Golf magazine and Golf Digest U.S. Dalat Palace stands alone in its combination of history, terrain, climate and charm. Founded in the late 19th century, Dalat was the preferred cool-weather retreat of French colonials and Vietnamese royals; the last emperor of Vietnam, Bao Dai, built his summer retreat here. You will enjoy the picturesque, panoramic view from the Tudor style clubhouse and one of the few bent grass in South East Asia.
Brisbane
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Good mountain course layout”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

Handicap 14 golfer here - I played under my handicap as fairway trouble was avoided with most of my drives going 280-300 yards.
Course was in good condition...unfortunately the greens were scarred the day I was there :( so I can't really comment on them. Decent size greens.
I walked the course with a female caddy who's English was limited but she knew her yardage!
My hire clubs were okay condition...big name brands.
TIPS:
Bring your own glove, hat and balls! Balls were US$1 each and pretty crappy condition, and mostly bricks to hit for the smaller hitting Asian players.
Also; cheap green fees for Monday - about 40% off.
All up I paid about US$140 for the day with green fee (Tuesday), hire clubs, hire shoes, a new glove, caddie fee, 10 balls, hire pull buggy and new cap with Dalat Palace Golf Club embossed onto it.
Good day out.

Visited November 2011
4 Thank ausmatt

• Korean first
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Great Place for Vacation Golf!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

My husband and I played golf at the Dalat Palace Golf Club as part of a golf package with our hotel. The package included an 18 hole round and caddy for each us as well as shuttle transportation between our hotel and the course (and hotel room, breakfast, and airport transfer) -- what a deal! We brought our own golf gloves, balls, and tees, but rented clubs at the course and made the VERY GOOD decision to pay extra for a motorized cart. The course is very hilly and there are a few long distances between greens and the next tee. The carts have a platform on the back for the caddies to stand. It was really strange teeing off on the first hole with a club I had never, ever hit before,but we were just playing to relax and enjoy the cool Dalat air and tranquility of the golf course. The set of women's clubs provided as a rental set was probably better than the set I use at home. My husband said his rental set had a hodgepodge of stiff and flexible shafts. The caddies made this one of the most fun rounds of golf I have ever played. We are public course golfers -- so we never have caddies elsewhere. These young ladies were adorable and very, very, helpful. They told us in which direction to hit when it was a blind shot. They found every ball we hit -- no matter how far afield it went, they applauded and cheered when we had good shots. They marked and cleaned the balls on the greens and helped read the putts. They were so up beat, it was impossible not to smile the whole round. Oh! they also kept the score cards -- but the course was VERY wet (wouldn't have been allowed to play on the course if this were our course at home it was so wet) that we lifted and placed the balls that became deeply embedded in the fairways and didn't follow all of the rules -- so they soon realized we didn't care about our score --and we never saw our score card. The course is challenging with several long carries over water. There are nice trees and flowers -- a very lush setting. I would definitely recommend the course to other "vacation golfers."

Visited October 2011
2 Thank LaaLaa
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Expensive but little other choice!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

I am a keen golfer so decided to play a round here whilst in Dalat. The price as of date was $95 green fee, $55 after 2.30pm and $45 after 3.30pm. It was too expensive for me during the day on a travellers budget, so I played at 3.30. The green fee includes club hire, but the clubs are poor and have some different shafts in (only one set to choose from). If you want the newer clubs, you have to pay an extra $25, a bit steep to say even these had R and S flex variations randomly throughout the set. Still, I was determined to play so after buying 3 of the cheapest balls, tees and a glove for $37 (someone before said you get balls and tees, but not for me!) I was off.

Despite being told nothing about a compulsory caddie, there was one waiting for me. I asked if I could go without as I knew I'd have to tip and was quite capable of pulling a golf cart, but they insisted.

The course itself is pretty challenging but very well kept. There's not much rough of any thickness and few thin trees as apposed to anything you'd get stuck behind with a wayward drive. There is lots of OB and water (some tight drives!) and the course plays 7000 yards, so it's long enough...plus rather hilly.

You can expect several blind tee shots and there's a fair amount of hitting over water, plus several lay ups for lengthy par 4s where a lake runs through the fairway at 200-250 yards. Lots of course management!

My caddie was good, she knew here yardages and although sometimes the language barrier was an issue for further details, we got on okay as a team. She did like to cheer me on quite vocally when a birdie or good shot was made...a little unusual coming from a British golfing background.

We just got in before it turned pitch black. I was playing fast with no one in front, but still the last 2 holes were played in poor light.

Overall, I enjoyed the experience (mainly due to the course condition). But it is meant to be Vietnam's best golf course, yet has a very commercial feel and is very bunched up with many holes offering little space between them.

I went for some peace and quiet from the rest of Vietnam and was still haunted by constant horn honks (from the roads that surround the course)...it seems to be something of a society staple, so I doubt you can escape it near a city.

Play if you can get a good deal and have your own gear. If you've came for a taste of Asia golf, this seems a good starting point. Great condition, a challenging test, don't expect peace and quiet though.

Los Angeles
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“European Paradise inside Vietnam!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2011

During my two weeks holidays in Vietnam, I was totally exhausted by a humid weather and a traffic in HCMC so it was amazing when we landed in Dalat.

With a mere 30min flight, we landed in the highlands that had European climate! It was great to breathe in fresh air. We were surrounded by beautiful mountains and Dalat being found by French. really felt like I was in Europe.

After the early morning breakfast at Du Parc hotel I headed for a round of golf at Dalat Palace Golf Club. The golf course with pine trees and amazing bent grass that made it feel like you are walking on some silk carpet. It was just amazing and rare to see in south east asia! The course is picturesque, not crowded and staff were friendly. The clubhouse is small and cozy with a panoramic view. They had the fireplace inside the clubhouse that was on at late afternoon.

My friends and I were taken back with this absolutely beautiful golf course that is also the first one in Vietnam. Highly recommend to come here but do not forget to bring a light sweater as evening can be chill!

Visited March 2011
2 Thank EatTravelsleep
DPGC, Manager at Dalat Palace Golf Club, responded to this review, 18 March 2011
We appreciate your detailed review. We are so glad that you had a memorable experience in Dalat and really wish to see you back in Vietnam in a near future!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Near perfection!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2011

I am so glad my wife agreed to visit Dalat on our VN trip. The highlight for me was the chance to play this wonderful golf course. Everything was great, except my game as I was in awe of the place. Especially liked mu Caddie Le and the hospitality offered by the staff. All that plus a hotel room and buffet breakfast, etc for $102 a night.....I love Viet Nam!!

1 Thank MDinDE
DPGC, Manager at Dalat Palace Golf Club, responded to this review, 17 March 2011
Thank you so much for taking your time to review us. We are very happy that our caddie as well as the hospitality offered met your expectation. We certainly try to keep our guests happy with our golf package. Glad you found it worthy.

We look forward to welcome you on your next visit!
DPGC Management Team