“Not feeling welcome”
Review of Palace Cafe

Palace Cafe
Ranked #1,343 of 2,628 Restaurants in Hanoi
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Well, this is a first here... I've walked in this place for refreshments... The person"greeting" us did not seem pleased to see us. No smile, hardly an eye contact. Waived us towards the tables. Same with the waiter who brought some water as we sat down. Did not return our hello.

I've ordered an avocado smoothie, which is nice enough. And my sister ordered an avocado and custard smoothie. We checked with the unsmiling waitress which one was which. There again, frustration it seems, on her part. Upon tasting both, we agreed they're the same.

I might feel peckish, but I'm not spending another dong here...

Reviewed 30 August 2017

I don't usually post reviews but this one got my blood boil. The other day me and my Vietnamese wife ordered 2 cans of sparkling water (20.000 each, as listed on the menu) there. When ordering, the waiter asks if we want a slice of lemon in our glasses and we say yes. It's a common free of charge extra we often take back home in Ho Chi Minh city. But when later the waiter shows up with the bill it says 39.000 per drink! When we ask why he says that it includes the "lemon fee". 19.000 for a thin slice of lemon, please! We tell him this item (sparkling water + lemon) isn't even listed anywhere on the menu. We also weren't told when ordering that there's an extra "lemon fee". We spent the next 15minutes negotiating ("can I speak to the manager" and all that nonsense) with multiple waiters and the end result was that they asked us to pay "only" 39.000 + 39.000 - 20.000...

Reviewed 26 October 2016

Came here whilst walking the city visiting the tourist locations. The location was great. Nice sitting outside and had a few fans blowing air on us. The waiter was great. The selection of food was good. I had a fruit platter that was very filling and good quality. Price was reasonable and would certainly eat here again.

Reviewed 2 July 2016

The Palace is situated between the Ho Chi Minh complex and the military museum. The attraction of the Palace is the shady courtyard on a hot day.
Plenty of fans are set to move the air around provide a pleasant environment.

The coffee is good as are the lassis.
The service is friendly and helpful.

Very reasonable prices

Reviewed 13 March 2016

The cafe is based near the Citadel and the Ho Chi Minh memorials. It is in a parade of other cafes but I was attracted as it was possible to sit outside yet protected with canopies
The menu was mainly coffee, juices and other drinks
There is a short breakfast menu and other items though I think some are only available at breakfast
A group of French tourists seemed to be enjoying their coffee so I gues that must be OK
I had a fresh lime juice which was good and well presented
I then opted for fried rice with beef. The beef was rather scarce. The dish was fine nothing exceptional
Staff are pleasant though seemed to get flustered by questions or if asked for cutlery
Pleasant enough place