“Mixed breakfast.”
Review of S&L's Diner

S&L's Diner
Ranked #108 of 2,626 Restaurants in Hanoi
Price range: US$4 - US$12
Description: S&L’s Diner is the first restaurant in Hoan Kiem, Hanoi that represents young locals and expats with the total experience of a classic American Diner. We offer high quality American favorites while providing excellent customer service in a comfortable and authentic American style diner, which is affordable to everyone.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

It’s a shame to have to give this place only 3* because it’s a cool place and the staff are lovely but there we are. First, the pros omelette was lovely, and my fellow diners enjoyed their omelette and breakfast skillet. However, halfway through our meal, the whole place started to inexplicably stink of fish, which was horrible. Also, given we were the only people eating at the time, the food took too long to come and my girlfriend’s coffee was definitely off.

steven k, Owner at S&L's Diner, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hello,

Thank you for your recent visit to S&L's Diner. I'm glad you and your guests enjoyed our food. I would like to apologize for the fish smell, there is a street vendor who tends to come around and grill dried fish on the street. We have to ask her all the time to please move away because the smell tends to come inside our restaurant. We obviously don't want to cause any problem or get her in trouble, she is just trying to make a living, all we can do is politely ask her to move.

Thanks again!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

After we spent a lot of time the day before walking around trying to find a restaurant, I did the research in the hotel. I didn't want to spend a lot of time walking around as it was already late and we were both hungry. This restaurant was close to our hotel. I thought it would be nice to have some western food as we had been eating the local Asian food from the countries we had visited. I also have a friend at home who loves diners so I thought it would be fun as well.

The decor of the restaurant is fun. They must have had a challenge getting all the old signs and license plates. They did a good job putting together this place as it looks pretty authentic.

I had the club house sandwich which was very tasty but they did not cut it in the 4 triangles. My friend had a burger which she enjoyed. The fries were really tasty but too salty. Overall the food was really good considering the restaurant is located in Vietnam. The service was good.

S&L Diner is a good place to go if you wish to have something different.

steven k, Owner at S&L's Diner, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hello,

Thank you for your recent visit to S&L's Diner, and sharing with us your experience. I'm happy you and your guests all enjoyed your food and appreciate our decor (we put a lot of work into it). I'm sorry so any other inconvenience, I will certainly share your comments and concerns with our kitchen staff to improve upon these details.

Thanks again!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Spot on. From the second I walked in the door the 50’s music was at a pleasant level. Place is very clean and the employees looked like they actually want to work there. Waiter was good although coming back to see if we wanted anything else could have worked. Now for the food. The steak salad. On point. French onion soup. Excellent. But what really blew me away was the chicken and waffles! The chicken was cooked to perfection and so was the waffles. Make sure you ask for a little more syrup. That tiny cup is not enough for the amount of food you get (s&l hope you listening) nothing was over cooked and the display was near perfect. The food was fantastic as was everything else. Clean place, very clean place. I will be coming back as I like what I see on the menu. What I found odd was a lot of Vietnamese in there eating. Oddly they was eating the same thing! I would like to try the breakfast as well. I didn’t see if they deliver hope they do....make sure if you go on the weekend mind the fact that the old quarter is pretty much blocked. You may have to do some walking but it’s worth it. Totally worth it. I come from the USA. Trust me when I say.....what I ate was pretty darn good for being over here in vietnam.

Hello and thank you,

We really appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I'm happy you enjoyed our food and had a wonderful experience. I will certainly bring up all of your concerns in very next staff meeting. Our new menu is expected to be completed and printed hopefully by the end of this week. We are not making any big changes, simply adding a few new items! We look forward to seeing you again!

Thanks again.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I stopped by this evening to partake of something like a burger and fries with a cold beer. There was S&L's Diner after a search. What I have found in my incredible journey of one is that I have searched out the places that will make me happy, bring me a certain type of food, let me enjoy a place to its utmost. Sometimes its the local vibe. Other times one needs a poke from home. A recognizable thing. The taste of a burger and fries. This happened also to me in India at a place now closed. But the main point of the story is if you are looking for good American food and of the Diner type; this is it to me. You can go find that burger and revel. I did.

Hello Michael,

Thank you for your recent visit to S&L's, and for kind review! It always makes me happy to hear when a customer has had such a memorable experience. I know all to well about needing that little taste of home, or having that familiar dish, and I'm glad we were able to provide! We sure hope to see you again.

Thanks again, and safe travels.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Excellent food run by an American who was very helpful to us in regards to transport in the area and other restaurants and the service and staff were very friendly and pleasant would highly recommend this place for Western style food

Hello!

Thank you for visiting S&L's Diner during your recent visit to Hanoi. I'm glad myself and our staff were able to help, and that you enjoyed your experience in our restaurant. We hope you all enjoyed the rest of your trip in Vietnam, and we hope to see you again!

Thank you again, and safe travels.

Steven Kaczerski

Been to S&L's Diner? Share your experiences!