See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at this resort since I had business in Binh Duong. Phuong Nam isn't in HCMC and it a pretty costly taxi ride to get there and back, however, on the surface it is a nice secluded spot that's away from the noise and bustle that Vietnam is. Breakfast wasn't bad. It consisted of a buffet with a mixture of Asian and Western items, but predominantly Asian, which I enjoy. For breakfast there's the usual rice congee, pho, and dishes that westerners would normally have for dinner if they were ordering carry out from a local Chinese restaurant. There's also cereal, yogurt, and an omelette station. The restaurant also serves a very good dinner, a la carte.

Here's the thing though. The rooms reek from some very heady, very perfumy air freshener. It was bad enough to give me a terrible headache and I had to ask the staff to not use it any more. OK, so that's not the end of the world, right? The resort is in the middle of a jungle, man-made or natural, I don't know, and mosquitoes are everywhere. The problem with that is that the cleaning staff leaves the doors to the rooms open for 10 minutes while they clean and the first hour or so when you go to sleep you're using that tennis racket-like contraption to try to zap all of the mosquitoes you can find, using your own body as bait, of course.

I was waking up in the morning with very itchy bites all along my ankles and, although I thought it to be peculiar, chalked it up to somehow getting bit by mosquitoes during the night, despite keeping my legs under the bed spread for the entire night. These persisted each night, despite my best attempts to eradicate the room of mosquitoes. The funny thing about it was that the bites on my ankles persisted but yet I had no bites on my face or arms which were exposed all night. I still had the bites by the time I came back to the States and showed my wife and she insisted that they were bed bug bites. After doing some research, based on the sizes and the clustering, it seemed more likely that they were flea bites and the fleas were living between the sheets in the general area where my feet had been.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank EdK_IL
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This resort is located around 20 km away from Ho Chi Minh. The resort is very quiet and with nice swimming pool and lake garden. The restaurant decoration is very nice and serves a very good vietnamese steamboat, grill chicken, etc. The distance between reception and room is 5 mins walk and good for someone looking for room in forest view.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank cytan1974
Reviewed April 20, 2012

I think this was a very nice resort in it's glory days, now it's old and needs a lot of work! We went here on our trip to have lunch which was good (seafood and fish).

The pools are nice but need work and the sunbeds are from wood which is broken and old and does not have pillows.

Lunch yes, stay here..... big NO!

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Erc P
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I came 3 times to Phuong Nam Resort and everytime I have many problems with the service.
First time, in the morning it was raining a lot, so I called reception to ask if its possible to have breakfast in the room (because the restaurant is 200mts away from the rooms and have to walk outside). The receptionist answers me yes OK. I wait for 20mn but no news, I call again the reception, they tell me no sorry, cannot bring breakfast in your room. So I ask them for an umbrella to go to the restaurant; after waiting another 10mn I still dont receive the umbrella so I run under the rain to the reception to find an umbrella.
Second time, I give some clothes to the laundry, and one of my top comes back with 2 holes in front. Very angry, I ask for sewing kit at the reception, they tell me its in the room with the toothbrushes. Coming back to the room, impossible to find the sewing kit. I come back to the reception again, they tell me sorry, we bring one for you to your room, which I also wait for at least 15mn.
Third time, at 5am in the morning suddenly a radio switch one very loud outside of my room. I call the reception, they inform me that they cannot stop it because its outside of the hotel, and today the manager will talk with the people to stop this radio. The day after, 5am the radio switch on again, impossible to sleep, I ask to transfer to another room to sleep. At 7am I have to leave for work so I ask them to transfer my things from the old room to the new room; they need to help me do it because I will be back very late after midnight. At midnight when I come back, my things have not been transfered to my new room, I have to go and pack it and bring it by myself.
Not mentioning the breakfast which is mostly for Asian taste, but nothing for westerners taste except sandwich bread, jam, and cereales which are so wet from starying outside too long. No internet in the rooms.
I would not recommend anyone to go there even if they need to work in Binh Duong, its preferable they take hotel in HCMC.

Room Tip: Do not choose this hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Coralie R
Reviewed February 20, 2011

The grounds and restaurants are very beautiful and well-kept. Reception and house-keeping staff friendly and helpful. Room clean and very spacious. Unfortunately, the restaurant service and cooking were pretty bad. The breakfast buffet was fine, but go elsewhere for lunch and supper. There are two clean swimming pools. nicely situated, but the loungers are wood, with no pillows. We went down the road to the Metro and bought our own. I think we paid $30 per night, dirt cheap for a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple