“Very nice”

290 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 214 helpful votes
“Very nice”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

This appears to be the largest and oldest in Ho Chi Minh City. It contains many statues and there is a whole lot of incense being burnt (adds to the atmosphere). Despite our having visited many temples during our tour of Indo China, we felt that this was well worth the visit. It is some way outside the centre of Ho Chi Minh City (about 7km).

1 Thank GerMar60

• Thai first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Temple should come in Ho Chi Minh”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Chua Ba Thien Hau temple is one of the oldest history of the Chinese in Ho Chi Minh City. Besides the value of the art of architecture, sculpture, ancient artifacts, it also has a different value, which is not only a place to meet religious needs but also a place to gather and mutual for Vietnamese people

1 Thank dinhhoangthuannhan
Gladesville, Australia
261 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,786 helpful votes
“My observations..”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Dedicated to the lady of the Sea, this quaint little temple in the middle of Chinatown is a little island of calm. Stepping out into the open courtyard it feels like some exotic land far away from the city. I see the sun shining brightly, casting a cool shadow over the covered walkway. I never get tired of staring at the spiral burners hanging high up slowly burning the fragrance of incense, the hypnotic smoke sets a peaceful tone. I like how the wind is captured from above & swirls down into the courtyard cooling the air in this tropical heat. I always find myself sitting on the wooden benches in the shade, the atmosphere so peaceful that I easily don’t notice an hour flying by, sometimes two. That’s the way it always is when I visit, I have no real Buddhist understanding nor am I an angel, but this place just seems to resonate with me, I find it utterly strange & I don’t know why....maybe im just high.

Useful facts:

- Literally translated as ‘Temple of the lady Thien Hau’.

- She was the daughter of a Chinese fisherman in Fujian province-southern China.

- Her real name was Lin Moniang but popularly known as Ma-Tsu or Mazu.

- Her story is about having some sort of telepathic power & one day being able to see & help her brothers drowning out at sea while she was on the shore in a deep trance.

- As a child she was often seen standing on the beach wearing a bright red dress which sailors would use to help navigate safely to shore.

- As her legend grew after her death, the religions of Taoism & Buddhism believed she was the reincarnate of Guan Yin, the Chinese Buddhist goddess of Mercy.

- During the 19th century when large numbers of Chinese went overseas for work in the European colonies as labourers they worshipped at Ma-Tsu’s temple if they made it safely to where ever they were going.

- The Vietnamese name for Lin Moniang is Thien Hau which is pronounced ‘Ti-en How’

Visited December 2013
2 Thank The_Pale_Ridah
Ottawa
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Interesting Find”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Having a 'free' first day in HCMC, we chose to visit less touristy sites. We were pleased to stumble upon this temple which was completely empty except for one worshiper. We had time to admire the sculptures and details of the building. The incense clouds made our visit even more magical.

If you have the time and energy, I would suggest you visit Chua Ba Thien Hau.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Anne D
Helsinki, Finland
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 128 helpful votes
“A smoky place”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Chua Ba Thien Hau temple was very interesting. I had never before visited a Chinese temple and I’m glad I did visit it. I can’t say that the temple was beautiful, but it had a very special atmosphere partly due to the heavy smoke coming from all the praying sticks. The spirals under the roof were said to burn from three months up till one year. It takes long time for your prayer to reach heaven.

2 Thank Ola K