“Great insight into Saigon”

Saigon Free Walking Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Saigon Free Walking Tours is a local network of volunteer student guides and tour leaders. Saigon Free Walking Tours was created with the purpose of supporting authentic and local Saigon, the one that we sincerely love. OUR CORE VALUES: (S)ociable – (A)ctive – (I)ndigenous – (G)reen – h(O)nest – (N)on-for-profit
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

We had a lovely afternoon walking around Saigon with Victor, a charming local student with an inspiring personal story.

We saw the main colonial buildings and learned about the history of the city, stopping for a coconut coffee at Cong on the way.

2  Thank BabyFace14
Write a ReviewReviews (1,139)
All reviews
in 9 reviews
"great morning"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed April 2, 2018

​After reading through all the reviews here and on Facebook. We decided to book a street food tour (night) with SaigonFreeWalkingTours.

It was a night of laughter and fun with Tracy and Larry, our awesome guides for the night. Tracy and Larry brought us to their local "hidden gems".

The foods were awesome and the company was marvelous. We enjoyed the night and look forward to another meet up with Tracy and Larry.

If you ever decided to book a tour with them, remember to make a request for the crab noodle (YUM! YUM! Delicious!) and sip a cup of coconut coffee.

Tim

2  Thank TimYolo
Reviewed April 1, 2018

3 of us booked 3 different tours with the students guides and we really enjoyed ourselves on our first visit to Saigon on our free and easy trip.

Tour 1 (Light up the Night) - guided by Alice, Luke and Jane. As we are new to this, we felt a bit shy and awkward with such arrangement. But these students are so friendly and very fast we enjoyed each other company for the night. We had dinner at places where the local would go to and we tried food that was not even on the my list ( google before the trip). Oh well.... I miss the coconut coffee !! We ride thru the tunnel over to District 2 to have a nice night view of all the lightings in District 1. Is a totally different experience on the bike as compared to Spore. (I sure miss it) The traffic direction is in a mess but with a hidden order (you will know what I mean when you are on the road ^_^) So much chatting even while on the bike :P

Tour 2 (Chinatown) - guided by Carrot, Bon and friend(sorry I forgot your name). We would definitely not know anything about District 5 if we didn't have these guides with us. We have gained so much knowledge about how the Chinese and the Vietnamese Chinese in this district. We have been to 2 temple, a church, tried the street dessert (yummy), walked thru the wholesale market and bought so much from there, been to the wet market, textile place etc.. I most probably would have been lost in that area if we didn't have them with us. Oh ya, and was recommended to tried the long history chicken rice and suckling pig. No regrets.

Tour 3 - Street Food tour - guided by Carrot, Bon and Bi. As we did the tour in the afternoon with 2 of them, we are like old friends who meet again. the bonding is so good and the friendship grew. We zipped thru small lanes and tried those hidden gems food and dessert that most tourists would not even go, sitting around with the locals and enjoying ourselves with food, beer and laughter.

As this is my first trip into Vietnam, I can't remember most of the food name but I love the taste of the food. All this students guides leave me a very good impression of Saigon and they ease me off of what I heard about Vietnam before my trip. I felt so protected and safe travelling with them. I highly recommend all to try them.
I will be back for U all again. All the best to your Uni life and studies.

2  Thank Eddow
Reviewed March 30, 2018 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our tour with Rachel. She was very knowledgeable and attentive when we asked a lot of questions. She highlighted the main ‘hot spots’ but also pointed out things we may want to explore further in detail later. We had a very nice afternoon and really appreciated the list of places to visit that she wrote down for us at the end. Highly recommend this tour and Rachel especially.

3  Thank foodie_wanderlust
See more reviews
Reviewed March 29, 2018

Forget those overpriced *boring* tours. SFWT has broken the guide vs tourist barriers and helped us made friends in Saigon. The tour guides were on time and very friendly. So happy we booked two tours with SFWT on our first day in Saigon as they took us to places and gave us insights we didn't know despite our "research" (i.e. google and youtube) before the trip.

1) The first tour was the Saigon City Walking Tour in the morning. Our tour guide was Kim. She was very enthusiastic as she took us to the must-see french-style buildings and the hip Cong coffee shop to refresh halfway through our walking. Interesting to learn her experiences in living in the city vs her home town. Also interesting to witness the rush hour traffic that seemed to last the whole day! Our last stop was the War Remnants Museum where we learned about the Vietnamese narrative of the War. All in all, I highly recommend this tour as it helps you get your bearings around the city. It didn't feel that we walked for almost four hours (with breaks and stops of course) because we had fun. Before we parted ways, Kim even recommended a place for lunch. We followed her recommendation (bun rieu - crab noodle soup) and it was good!

2) The second tour was the Street Food Tour in the evening. Luke and Lan were our tour guides. It was our first time to ride motorbikes and they safely navigated us in the streets of Saigon. Interesting and very delicious food choices that we tried for the first time. We deviated from the usual pho and banh mi and had a gastronomic adventure of sorts (you have to try them yourself!). I wish our tummies had a bigger capacity that night to accommodate all the yummy food that Saigon has to offer. No dieting allowed and all are valid calories to consume. Our last stop was District 2 were we got a view of the night skyline (totally different, calmer vibe than District 1). What we really love is that Luke and Lan were very energetic and lively throughout the evening. It's like hanging out with friends you haven't seen for along time. I highly recommend this trip and I wish there were a Whole Day Food Tour :D

3  Thank lizziebels