“Westin Seasonal Taste Restaurant”
Review of The Westin Dhaka

The Westin Dhaka
Ranked #4 of 80 Hotels in Dhaka City
Dhaka
“Westin Seasonal Taste Restaurant”
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Decided to have dinner at Seasonal TASTE restaurant at Westin Hotel, Dhaka. We made reservations for 24 people. Manager asked for a 50% advance but after some wheelin’ and dealin’, bought it down to 20%. As you enter the lobby head for the elevators to the left corner, past the Bakery and hit level 2 for the TASTE restaurant. They reserved a long table for us along the entrance point. The setting is very nice – well laid out, brightly lit, spacious with ample room to maneuver.

The setting is very nice and chic. Now let’s get down to the food. I will start off by saying, it looked a lot more appetizing than it tasted. I started with the soup. Clear Thai soup seemed a better choice than the veg. However, after a couple of spoons, I found myself nonchalantly pushing the bowl aside. I also didn’t find the choice of bread and cheese enticing as both looked it’s been sitting on the counter for a while. The choice of cheese seemed limited and the Swiss was hard and color was not right. Salad bar could have been at any fast food joint and I wouldn’t have known the difference. Very average items and not tasty at all. I was looking forward to a western salad extravaganza but I didn’t find one here. I have seen local restaurants dish up a better spread than this. However, I did venture to the Tempura section and I found the chef dishing out fresh batches tempuras onto the hotplate. I thoroughly enjoyed the shrimp and fish. The accompanying soy sauce was just right. It certainly complimented the light batter of the tempura. In fact I found myself going for seconds. There was also baked salmon served with roasted potatoes and carrots which was delicious. However, the taste went down hill from there. I went to the Indian food section, the dim sung section (just one item), the continental section and finally the local dishes section and there really wasn’t anything to write home about, let alone Trip Advisor. The lamb roulade, Lebanese chicken, chicken biryani were all but average. There is a section when you can choose your meats ( or seafood) and hand it to the chef and he will do a stir fry as you wait. Finally onto the dessert section. However, not much to write about here either. What hit me at the onset was the lack of variety and imagination. A 5 star restaurant could do so much with Desserts ! The spread was not what you would expect from a 5 start joint, though our kids made a killing off the ice cream !
Overall, I will admit that service was top notch, efficient and the waiters made you feel like you were a patron of an upscale dining establishment. However, the good stuff ends there. Dishes lacked flavor and presentation lacked imagination. As I said back there somewhere, not what you would expect from a 5 star establishment. Not cheap either. Cost per head around $45 with soft beverages.

Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank CanuckinDhaka

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I stayed here 4 nights, my first experience in Bangladesh. I cannot compare this hotel to any in Dhaka, but this hotel is comparable to any high-class hotel in Europe. I was booked in by others, and not familiar with room options available, but the room was spacious and clean. Beds and linen were the best I've had at a hotel. Staff were very friendly and attentive, and not the type to be asking for tips all the time. Many thanks to our driver as well, I would never dare drive myself!

The only annoying detail was that the TV turned itself on upon when entering the room, on the same channel.

Room Tip: I recommend the business lounge on the 21st floor, which I think has to be booked together with the...
1 Thank Erik H
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I stayed in the Westin on business last week. There is not much choice in Dhaka but the Westin is definitely the best of the bunch.

The staff are professional and courteous and the service generally is high (and note, I don't even qualify that with 'for Bangladesh').

The rooms are very clean and spacious, and the beds very comfortable indeed.

I had fajitas down in the bar area while listening to a very good pianist/singer one evening and was impressed with the quality of the food and the ambience for what is essentially a business hotel. I will definitely stay here during my next visit to Dhaka.

3 Thank KarenLN75
Australia
Reviewed 24 December 2011

There is not much choice in Dhaka if you want a western hotel - Either the Radisson Watergarden or the Westin Hotel. I normally stay at the Radisson but this time I elected to spend 3 days at the Westin.
It is clean, modern & well run hotel, Rooms are a little small but well laid out and the service is most efficient. It is not as secure as the Radisson as you are in the middle of the city in amongst all the cars & people.

2 Thank MightyCats1234
Gig Harbor, Washington
Reviewed 20 December 2011

Just had 25 day stay with a short gap in the middle. The staff was superb and service excellent all around. Great location not too far from the airport. The only minor complaint is wireless internet not available in room. Fitness center and spa very nice, and all the food was consistently of high quality. They made me feel welcome and appreciated. If my business brings me back I will certainly stay at the Westin.

Room Tip: high but not too close to 23rd floor where there is music some nights
4 Thank Tunes777
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 18 December 2011

This is one of few hotels that I love to stay in so please don’t get me wrong when I say “But”

The only problem is that you feel that it is a little bit weak on the maintenance; for example: the curtain in the bathroom is not working, some minor wear in the bathroom.
I have also stayed at Westin Bali and had exactly the same feeling but I would still give Bali’s a 5 stars review

2 Thank Reda E
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 18 December 2011

I stayed 2 days in this hotel. Excellent housekeeping and facility. Rooms are very clean and bigger in size. This hotel is Located in main city. Value for money. This hotel is closure to the airport and there is no traffic jam at this area. Local shopping centre is also very nearby to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business