Decided to have dinner at Seasonal TASTE restaurant at Westin Hotel, Dhaka. We made reservations for 24 people. Manager asked for a 50% advance but after some wheelin’ and dealin’, bought it down to 20%. As you enter the lobby head for the elevators to the left corner, past the Bakery and hit level 2 for the TASTE restaurant. They reserved a long table for us along the entrance point. The setting is very nice – well laid out, brightly lit, spacious with ample room to maneuver.
The setting is very nice and chic. Now let’s get down to the food. I will start off by saying, it looked a lot more appetizing than it tasted. I started with the soup. Clear Thai soup seemed a better choice than the veg. However, after a couple of spoons, I found myself nonchalantly pushing the bowl aside. I also didn’t find the choice of bread and cheese enticing as both looked it’s been sitting on the counter for a while. The choice of cheese seemed limited and the Swiss was hard and color was not right. Salad bar could have been at any fast food joint and I wouldn’t have known the difference. Very average items and not tasty at all. I was looking forward to a western salad extravaganza but I didn’t find one here. I have seen local restaurants dish up a better spread than this. However, I did venture to the Tempura section and I found the chef dishing out fresh batches tempuras onto the hotplate. I thoroughly enjoyed the shrimp and fish. The accompanying soy sauce was just right. It certainly complimented the light batter of the tempura. In fact I found myself going for seconds. There was also baked salmon served with roasted potatoes and carrots which was delicious. However, the taste went down hill from there. I went to the Indian food section, the dim sung section (just one item), the continental section and finally the local dishes section and there really wasn’t anything to write home about, let alone Trip Advisor. The lamb roulade, Lebanese chicken, chicken biryani were all but average. There is a section when you can choose your meats ( or seafood) and hand it to the chef and he will do a stir fry as you wait. Finally onto the dessert section. However, not much to write about here either. What hit me at the onset was the lack of variety and imagination. A 5 star restaurant could do so much with Desserts ! The spread was not what you would expect from a 5 start joint, though our kids made a killing off the ice cream !
Overall, I will admit that service was top notch, efficient and the waiters made you feel like you were a patron of an upscale dining establishment. However, the good stuff ends there. Dishes lacked flavor and presentation lacked imagination. As I said back there somewhere, not what you would expect from a 5 star establishment. Not cheap either. Cost per head around $45 with soft beverages.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Relax, revive, and experience renewal at The Westin Dhaka - the five-star hotel in Gulshan. Nestled in the new business district, we are steps from renowned shopping malls, foreign missions, restaurant, art, private clubs, and multinationals. Refreshing and contemporary, our 241 spacious guest rooms and suites offer modern amenities. Restore the body and expand the mind with the pure relaxation of our signature Heavenly Bed(R). The oversized four-fixture bathroom with Heavenly Shower(R) ensures you feel refreshed. Every guest room offers a generous workspace and High Speed Internet Access. Five contemporary meeting venues offer over 2,000 square meters of functional space. This includes state-of-the-art meeting and banquet facilities featuring LED lighting for an extensive variety of lighting effects, customized projections, and a sound system in the Westin Grand Ballroom. The Westin Dhaka offers nourishing dining for every taste and style from fresh, authentic Italian to Pan Asian and international cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity.ca, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Westin Dhaka reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin Dhaka Hotel Dhaka City
- Westin Dhaka City
- Dhaka City Westin
- The Westin Dhaka Dhaka Division, Bangladesh