“Friendly hotel, quiet gem amongst heat and dust.”
Review of Billabong Hostel

Billabong Hostel
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Clean hotel, relaxing feel. Lovely pool , reasonable drinks prices at bar and in room. Friendly helpful staff. Don't be put off by road outside , safe to walk around. Good restaurant Romdeng nearby where they train street teenagers as cooks and waiters. Had a good meal there in a lovely old colonial house.
Would recommend the Billabong Hotel .

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BrendaRick
There are newer reviews for Billabong Hostel

Reviewed 26 April 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the Billabong, they were especially accommodating to our family with our 4 kids. The pool was lovely. I really liked how I could sit in the restaurant and have my kids swimming right there.

The staff was helpful in arranging tourist things that I wanted to do. I do wish, however, they were a bit more warm. Had I not stayed at another hotel locally I would have given this a 5 star, but I stayed at another location for the same cost and found the stuff there more warm and friendly. I guess its a trade off for the lay out of the place.

Room Tip: We liked being near the pool.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank CanDance2
Reviewed 24 April 2012 via mobile

I checked out if the hotel earlier on today. I had stayed here for 3 nights.

I arrived from Siem Reap and went straight to the hotel and checked in. I was located on the 2nd floor. When I went to my room which was located at the back of the hotel, I dicscovered that the WiFi wasn't working. I was too far away from the router. I spoke to a member of staff and they tried resetting the router, but this didn't help. They offered to give me a cable to used wired broadband, but as I was using a tablet, this didn't help. Eventually they moved me to a room closer to the router which was perfect.

So WiFi sorted, the room was large-ish with a good sized bathroom. The bed was large and comfortable, but I found sleeping with only a thin sheet a little odd. Daily drinking water is provided and there is plenty of room in the small fridge for you to keep your own drinks cold.

The main attraction of the hotel seems to be the pool. I didn't use it myself, but I did sit by it and did feel the water which was warm.

The restaurant serves a good selection of food and the staff are very helpful indeed. The reception staff are also very helpful and booked my bus ticket to HCMC without fuss.

The hotel is situated on a bit of an unfortunate road. You find this a lot in Cambodia. Good and bad right next to each other. It is a great location in other ways though. You are just around the corner from a big shopping centre which had a wide range of shops including a Luckys supermarket. It is also within easy walking distance of the central market. I also walked to Tuol Sleng and down to the Royal Place and Silver Pagoda. They're not far away, but the roads aren't really designed for pedestrians, what with cars being parked all over the pavements. And if you do decide to walk anywhere, be prepared to say no A LOT as you will be approached by literally hundreds of tuktuk drivers and motorbike drivers.

All in all a good hotel. Quick to respond to problems and very helpful overall.

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank vfrequent_traveller9
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Convenient location but economical, we stayed 3 nights with free wi fi and breakfast.
The rooms are clean and the pool is excellent.
Meals and drinks reasonable with heaps of great restuarants close by. They organised our tours and bus transport onto Siam Reap. Overall a very honest and enjoyable experience

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the pool are best but the rear ones are cheaper
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John L
Reviewed 10 April 2012

On the arrival, when you see the hotel from the road seem very bad, but when you enter, you will discover that all it works well; nice friendly staff, helpfully and polite. Room are very well cleaned free wifi working fast; swimming pool not large size, anyway great refreshment when you back after a day tour city visit.
The choice for brakfast is a bit poor, even the quality food are excellent.
I will suggest this hotel if you're coming in Phnom Penh.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank pollone
Reviewed 5 April 2012

we stayed 3 nights at the billabong hotel and it was perfect. good location, vey clean, great staff, cool tiki bar and swimming pool. it started our trip to Cambodia the best way possible. don't hesitate to book a room there !

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank carodlm
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Friendly staff and a lovely pool. This is a really nice hotel with comfortable rooms and a good location. It is great value for money.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo