“Dishonest owner, no value for money”

Mrs Padmini Nanayakkara's Chelsea Gardens
Ranked #70 of 150 Speciality Lodging in Colombo
Reviewed 26 October 2015

The single room was small and not thoroughly cleaned, and the mosquito net was dirty. It was absolutely not worth paying 4500 LKR for. More importantly due to the fact that Padmini is not a woman of her word I would not recomend to stay in her place to anyone. Please refer to the story below.

One evening around 6 PM I came to Padmini's Homestay on Chelsea Garden and booked a stay for 10 days without prior reservation. She offered a price of 4500 LKR per day but we finally agreed on a price of 3000 LKR per night for a single room without AC and without breakfast. I paid the whole amount in advance as she requested. The next day, I found out that I had to leave Sri Lanka immediately due to a family emergency. I explained the situation to Padmini and she seemed to understand the unexpectedness of my situation, so we agreed that I will pay her 6000 LKR for a 24H stay and she agreed to return the rest of the money.

Unfortunetely, she said that she put all the money in a bank so she could give me only a small part of it the same evening. We agreed that one of my friends will come and pick the cash the next day. I rushed to the airport.

Problems started when I left the country, when my friend had difficulties settling on a time and date to pick up the remaining cash. When he finally managed to reach Padmini about a week later she explained that she does not want to give the whole cash back giving unjustified excuses.

I think it was fair to pay Padmini a certain cancellation fee that is why I suggested to pay for an extra night. I just did not appreciate that she disrespected our agreement and made my friend waste his time on phone calls if she did not intend to give the full amount back.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank AThappytime
There are newer reviews for Mrs Padmini Nanayakkara's Chelsea Gardens

Reviewed 30 July 2012

Miss Padmini has a adorable guest-house, with confortable and nicely decorated rooms, and a beautiful garden. You feel invited at home by a nice and cultured Sri Lankan family. Miss Padmini speak a very good French.
The railway station is very near, you can get the coastal train to Mount Levinas easily. There is also a shopping center close-by with all facilities (internet café). Beware of the tuktuk drivers close-by, they extra charge tourists. Better to pick up one taxi on the main avenue.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank CedGouv
Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Mrs. Padmini Nanayakkara's when we first arrived in Sri Lanka. Although our stay was pleasant overall, having travelled around the country for a month, we realised that this guesthouse was ridiculously overpriced for the price we paid (4,500 rupees per night). By way of comparison, we stayed in a modern hotel with air con, where our room backed directly on the beach, in Hikkaduwa, for less.

Our stay was made pleasant as the host was very hospitable, and took her time to chat with us ans provide refreshing tea when we first arrived. There was a also a very nice garden to enjoy breakfast in. The location is also ideal being away from the main street (Galle Road) which is heavily congested.

However, the rooms were VERY basic and well worn. To re-echo another reviewer, our towels also had holes in, windows had holes in them, and the mosquito netting provided (there were lots of mosquitoes) was inadequate as it was old, dirty and had numerous holes in that too. Moreover, we found our bathroom to be very dirty (lots of other peoples hair etc.).

This would be a very good budget option if the pricing was made more fair. I suspect that a lonely planet recommendation had helped to inflate prices.

Finally, when I made the initial booking I asked for 2 nights stay and was quoted 4500, which I thought was reasonable. However, upon checkout, there was a misunderstanding as she meant 4500 per night. This was not made clear at the time of booking so having to pay 9000 meant we left not feeling very happy at all.

• Stayed: February 2012
4  Thank William399
Reviewed 18 January 2012

We had a very pleasant stay.
The guesthouse consists of a colonial house and a few more rooms that are located next door in an modern appartment house.
The guesthouse is central located, has a nice small garden backyard where they serve the breakfest and a museum like living room.
Very friendly owner and good value for colombo.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank asdfgbernd
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I am not at all sure where the people who provided the negative review thought they were staying. My experience was excellent. Mrs Nanyakkara is a very thoughtful and grateful host. The room was clean and the secuirty was good. I plan to return soon.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Anna E
Reviewed 12 December 2011

We were made to feel very welcome by Padimi, and our stay was like staing with your grandmother! You will be staying in a small apartment complex with people who live there, and so I felt a little uncomfortable. There was no A/C or mosquito net, but the place was clean and tidy, the bathroom excellent, despite prior reviews. I also saw no cockroaches, but if there were any, then they are an unavoidable part of living in a hot country.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank martleese
Reviewed 1 January 2011

I am VERY surprised by the previous review. The place is dirty - in our bathroom I could write 'wash me' with my finger on the dirt in the shower! When we arrived there was a dead cockroach in the filthy bathroom where there was no hot water, the light did not work (we needed to wash our teeth with our flashlight that we fortunately brought with us) and the towel that they gave me there was a hole in it so large I could put my whole arm through it. When we went to bed there was a disgustingly dirty mosquito net over one bed and the chest of drawers next to the bed was full of I suppose the owners clothing and also full of live cockroaches which we needed to kill with our shoes.

The rooms - well should we call if part of the garage - are noisy there are no curtains and the beds are just planks of wood with a sort of very thin mattress on them.

Overall experience horrible and the price should be like USD10 per night.

We left after one night - awful start to any holiday.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo