“Overpriced & Overrated”

Ranked #33 of 698 Restaurants in Colombo
Price range: US$35 - US$200
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Sri Lanka’s most sought after dining destination. One of Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants since 2015, the restaurant is the brainchild of celebrated chef and restaurateur Dharshan Munidasa, who partnered with Sri Lankan Cricketing Legends Mahela Jayawardane and Kumar Sangakkara. Crabs range from 500g ‘Small’ crabs to 2KG ‘Crabzillas’ and the restaurant employs a daring no-freezer policy, sourcing all its produce from Sri Lanka. Enjoy oysters, clams, fresh water prawns and the famous crabs from Sri Lanka in the historic setting of the 400-year old Dutch Hospital Shopping Precinct, one of Colombo's most iconic landmarks.
Reviewed April 4, 2018

This is one of the more well-know dining establishments in Colombo, and it probably used to be good but not anymore.

The staff who attended to our table that night did not seem pleased to do so and wanted to get done with it quickly. That gave us a bad start.

Also, they ran out of crabs smaller than 1kg when we were there, despite it being only 7pm and the start of dinner hour. This limited us from trying more varieties, as we could only order 1 huge one between the both of us without being wasteful. Crab was large with a lot of roe, but we felt that the taste did not justify the expensive price tag. We had butter crab and the sauce was in a tiny dish, so the crab itself did not have any flavor.

The only thing worth commenting was the atmosphere as it was lively with a nice cosy outdoor setting.

Overall, one of the worst meals we've had in Sri Lanka. Should have gone to the neighboring restaurants instead for the same price.

1  Thank NickyyChee
Write a ReviewReviews (3,581)

Reviewed April 4, 2018

We loved our dinner at the Ministry of Crab. The presentation of the staff, the restaurant and the food was outstanding. When I asked how big a small crab was, I didn't expect that the staff to bring the live crab to the table. Just fabulous.

Reviewed April 3, 2018

Nothing like putting on a bib and getting your hands dirty (and everything else)pulling a crab to bits and sucking the meat out of the shell. Yum
This is a very large, busy, noisy, fun, touristy restaurant, catering for everyone as long as they can afford the prices. And the prices are pretty up there. And judging how hard it is to get a booking there are plenty of people willing to pay them. Catering from backpackers to large groups. But its a once in a lifetime thing and the atmosphere, the buzz the service and the food were great. Worry about the bill when you get home! I even bought aprons.ha ha I'm such a sucker for an apron of memories.
Bookings are essential.

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

Food was great but in light of how expensive (off the chart in local terms) I fault it for three things.

First, the tremendous difficulty I had making a telephone reservation. I called twice from Singapore, and once upon arrival in Colombo. Each time after keying to make a reservation I was led down the path of canned music for ten minutes followed by disconnect. In the end we drove there to make the booking. Email reservation did not feature in my Google search.

Second, the selection of wine available by the glass was poor for a restaurant of this standard. Not all of us have the time/inclination to down a full bottle.

Third, in spite of explicitly asking and being emphatically reassured twice, the crab was insufficiently dressed for me - I know lots of people like to do surgery or DIY on the carcass, but I lost that interest years ago. I shouldn’t have had to do my Dr Frankenstein routine.

On the basis of my experience, I’d be in two minds about returning.

1  Thank JeterP
Reviewed April 3, 2018

totally loved our lunch especially the crab is superb - its so fresh that the meat just came off its shell. My best dining experience