My partner & I stayed at Agora Guesthouse for 6 nights in mid April (a slightly delayed review).
From the moment we checked in after a long flight from Australia, we felt that we would genuinely be looked after.
The (private) room that we stayed in was good. Very clean & tidy with a good bathroom, & staff did a good job turning it over each day (Do Not Disturb signs available if you want your room to be left alone).
The location is sensational; 5 minutes walk to Sultanahmet Square, however be prepared to walk a gauntlet of a street of tourist trap restaurants with desperate hosts competing for your Lira, however this is no reflection on Agora & it's proximity to restaurants is a positive thing.
The rooftop common area/dining room is great. Guide books in various languages, laptops, & a breathtaking view of the Bosphorus & Asia are at your disposal.
Complimentary breakfast each morning is also very good - as slightly picky westerners it did the job nicely.
But what makes this place special are the staff.
Orhan could not be more helpful. Professional but genuinely warm & friendly, this guy is a legend. Bob with his dry humour was fantastic, & the lovely Turkish girl we saw in the mornings all made this establishment stand out, as well as the rest of the crew.
There may be cheaper guest houses, however I strongly recommend Agora for its location, view, & above all helpful, professional & friendly team.
Thanks guys, we'll be back!
- An honourable mention to the gentleman who sells hot & spiced meatball & spiced chicken sandwiches outside Agora each night. Orhan recommended this upon our check in, & more than once we found ourselves skipping the tourist trap restaurants & grabbing a (very filling) sandwich & sitting in the common area watching the ships on the Bosphorus.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Agora Guesthouse & Hotel is a boutique hotel created for the savvy, modern traveler. An edgy feel, online and personal interaction, and a spectrum of available room types make the Agora experience unique to the individual. Depending on budget and lifestyle, guests can choose from a wide array of room types and amenities. Private rooms with private baths, wide screen TV with DVD player, air-conditioner, complimentary wireless Internet, mini bars, and direct-dial telephones and hair dryers.You will get to enjoy Agora’s home-made breakfasts which are served on the rooftop terrace overlooking the Bosphorus and the Asiatic part of Istanbul. Agora is youthful, high-style, and high-tech. Our rooms are simple, stylish, and inexpensive. We offer convenient accommodations for the hip and spendthrift traveler. In-the-know 18-40 year old international travelers and domestic travelers looking for modern, upscale accommodations on a budget will appreciate our variety of room types and options. Agora Guesthouse and Hotel is located in the heart of Istanbul, only steps away from the Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace and the Underground Cistern, 10 minutes walk to the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Market, 10 minutes drive to Taksim square. Agora Guesthouse and hotel is sure to be Turkey's best and when you stay you'll see that Agora has included all the small details to ensure a perfect stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and TripOnline SA so you can book your Agora Guesthouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Agora Guesthouse Hotel Istanbul