“Views to die for from the top floor, but expect backpacker standard”
Review of Grand Esen Hotel

Grand Esen Hotel
Ranked #166 of 1,113 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 December 2014

When we arrived at Esen Hotel, we were offered a room on the first floor across the road. As this had no views from the window we asked if we could be given a room with a view. Bearing in mind the location of this hotel near the waterfront, it seemed a shame not to have views to match. The management offered us a room on the top floor, if we could manage the steps, as there is no lift. You certainly need to be fit to manage the six floors involved! But, when you are up there the views are to die for - and it would be difficult to imagine any better views for the money this close to the waterfront. Not only that, the Sirkeci train station is immediately across the road, and the Sirkeci tram station is also within a matter of minutes. Plus a short walk to the ferry terminal at Eminonu. In other words, it just couldn't be any better situated.

As for the room, well it had seen better days, but it was clean. You can judge for yourself from the attached photos. There is exposed wiring, albeit insulated, and the standard of finish was lacking for this day and age. When my wife touched the wall cabinet in the ensuite, it was only hanging by one small screw, and it fell off the wall towards her. We told the staff about it the next day but it never got put back up whilst we were there.

Although the dining room was rather cramped - but we were there at a busy time - the buffet breakfasts were excellent, more than anybody could eat, and Nescafe coffee (wow!) and fruit cordial were on tap 24/7. The staff were very attentive and one even chased us up the street one soaking wet evening to loan us an umbrella. We were very impressed!

This area of Istanbul isn't cheap, but we felt that Esen Hotel was as good as it gets for the money. Our room was very tired and in need of updating, but it was clean, the plumbing worked (a big plus for this part of the world) and the bed was comfortable. At the end of the day, this was what we asked for as a trade-off against the sensational view, and we had no complaints.

Room Tip: Our room was 601 on the top floor. Ask to see it first, before making a decision, but don't expe...
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 November 2014

The hotel is close to the main attractions. Most just a few minutes walk. Located in the metro maturity behind the hotel. Bit noisier than average, but not annoying! The staff is nice and helpful. The breakfast is not plentiful, but a few days bearable point. (3 kinds of cheese, two kinds of sausage, + butter, jam, honey, etc ...) The main building has no elevator, there are 6 floors. In the second building (as opposed to 10 feet) on each floor of a room and the elevator. They are more spacious. The reception desk is always free tea and coffee for guests! Overall, I recommend to everyone for a few days in Istanbul for visiting! good WIFI in the rooms too.

Room Tip: A szemben lévő épületben tágasabbak a szobák. a Legszükebbek a fő épületben minden emeleten az 1-es...
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ATTILA B
Reviewed 15 November 2014 via mobile

a very calm hotel
in the middle of the old city of istanbul .
Sirkeci its like the heart of istanbul!
all the historical famous places are here !
perfect atmosphere with amazing restaurents , shops !
this hotel have a very modern simple room style , with a perfect view on the sea and the old city .
room cleaning service is very good !
the breakfast is simple .
all the workers here are gentel and helpes you with everythings .
the hotel is very near to Marmaray Metro Station , to the TramWay , and to The sea ! the blue mosque, ayasophia and grand bazar are few meters from here !
under the hotels there is alot of stores , markets , and the streets never sleep !

i spent 9 days here !
it was perfect !

Stayed: November 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Clean teeny tiny room with a semi broken toilet, three curtains missing and no door on the shower. 5 foot bathroom with toilet, sink and shower. Friendly staff in great location. Ok breakfast a d free wifi

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank mtp99mjr
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Never do not book this hotel over the net. They will CHEAT you.
The hotel is terrible! I do not know if there are inspections in Istanbul, who gave them permission to work?
We booked through the net, Shuttle from the airport is should be of the hotel.
But, at an airport - no one came. I phone called four times in the hotel and after 35 minutes, came the dirty van.
Now, the next of surprises: He ADVANCE PAYMENT and AFTER payment, he said that there is NO FREE ROOMS in the hotel, regardless of what we had booked.
Can you imagine how they perfidious cheat and lie.
Now, you'll see why!
The man told (without excuses) that they will send us to another hotel for one night and so we have to walk to another hotel, located approximately 300 m, on the steep, the aggrieved street.
the next morning - We are going back to the hotel. We waited 30 minutes a man from Essen for baggage, He did not come. We wore ourselves.
Again, in Essen-nothing, no excuse, at least. All - normal.
Finally, we got rooms in Esen. It is a horror. It is impossible describe.
You are entering from CURVED-ANGULAR STRAIRS DIRECTLY IN ROOM.
Stairs are wide 60 cm. (Attempt enter the baggage) Room size is 2 x 2.5 m No desk, a chair was disgusting dirty, torn sheets on the bed (not very clean) air conditioner in the window (!), the glass is dirty, cabinet you must not open (fall door). The room floors are full of stains. Bathroom-short-horror!
I asked for money back and to leave the hotel. He said that it was not possible!
I was asleep so I put my blouse. on the pillow.
Front desk manager (maybe owner?), Was angry because I was protested. You can not believe it!
I told him come to Istanbul over 20 times, the last 15 years (the business) and I have not experienced anything like this.
Anyway, he does not understand what is the problem!
Therefore, this hotel should not be called a hotel. I travel around the world twenty years, including Turkey, a hotel like this - I have not seen.
Do not go there.

Room Tip: Do not go there.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
10  Thank Marija L
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Never do not book this hotel over the net. They will CHEAT you.
We booked through the net, Shuttle from the airport is should be of the hotel.
Can you imagine how they perfidious cheat and lie.
Now, you'll see why!
Again, in Essen-nothing, no excuse, at least. All - normal.
Finally, we got rooms in Esen. It is a horror. It is impossible describe.
You are entering from CURVED-ANGULAR STRAIRS DIRECTLY IN ROOM.
I was asleep so I put my blouse. on the pillow.
Anyway, he does not understand what is the problem!
Do not go there.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Very good location is an advantage only. Dirty, small and noisy rooms. There were no table, no safe box, no mini bar and no tea-kettle in the room (however it was specified in web-site information). Once I returned in the evening and the door in my room was widely open. It was open the whole day long, the cleaning staff had just forgotten to close it. Poor breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo