Grand Esen Hotel
Hatay Hotel(Istanbul)
Hotel Samil(Istanbul)
Askoc Hotel(Istanbul)
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 October 2010

We found a good deal through JustInTimeHotels.com for Esen Hotel. Prior to booking, we checked out the photos and it seemed like good value for money for a 3-star hotel. When we arrived at Esen Hotel, we asked if they still had rooms available and the reception said yes. But when we informed them of our deal through JustInTimeHotels.com the reception fobbed us next door to ‘Otel Sultan’ and tried to convince us it was the same 3-start hotel.

However the room was shoe-box sized, musty, moldy, dirty and smelled of old cigarettes with a bad stench coming from the toilet which was brown and dirty. The shower didn’t work properly and the bed sheets and blankets did not look or smelled like it had been washed for a while either. It was worse than a 1-star hostel!! We made a complaint about the room and the hotel change from our original booking, but they didn't seem to care whatsoever.

When we checked out after our dreaded 3 night stay, they tried to charge us €20 more than the internet booking price. We had to endure a whole lot of arguing, a beating (a literal punch in the face) from the receptionist himself and a police officer to convince them what we actually owed them and how dreadful their customer services were.

All I can say is if you’re up for a musty, moldy, dirty, smelly hotel with bad customer service and a beating (a literal punch in the face) then go for it! Otherwise we would advise all travelers to avoid Esen Hotel at all cost, this hotel is not worth a penny or a punch in the face! If this was in my country, I would sue them an arm and a leg!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wvp2010
Reviewed 16 July 2010

One of our friends booked the place completely randomly. Before we actually arrived in Istanbul, I had checked the reviews on trip advisor and it looked pretty bad. Once arrived in the hotel, it was even worse. The rooms are ridiculously small. Don't even think to fit two people in there. On top of that, the wallpapers are peeling, the bathroom has broken bits and parts and all in one, it makes you want to run away. One exception: their 2 rooms presented like "presidential suite" on the top floor. Don't be fooled though, they will tell you it's for 4 or 3 people and there's no way more than 2 people can stay a night without asphyxiating (it's boiling hot, in the summer).

The breakfast is absolutely scandalous. We didn't get to eat anything, and all the clients in this hotel thought the exact same.

There is no lift, so if you carry extra luggage, get ready to do some exercise. Particularly if you go for the top floor (5th floor). The hotel has REALLY STEEP stairs.

Last but not least, the staff isn't nice, but not that you care since they don't speak a word of English anyway. The owner/manager does, but he won't give a damn about your request. I forgot a piece of belonging, knowing what would happen, I took a chance and called them saying that I would pay for all the expenses if they had the courtesy to send it back to me. The owner/manager answered that his phone wasn't working and that he couldn't hear properly. Asked me to drop an email, and no surprise, no answer ever came.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2010

Our room had 2 red velvet chairs and 2 beds. Very sunny and bright. The beds were comfortable we stayed on Level 2 so no water views but views of the railway station. Windows opened and also had use of the airconditioner at night all included in the price. Typical Turkish breakfast olives, tomatoes,cucumber,
boiled eggs, sliced meat, jams and bread. We were able to access the hot water for tea and coffee in the evenings. Great cheap eat restaurants all around in surrounding streets. Opposite is a supermarket. Walking distance downhill to Emininou Port area. Helpful staff. Enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2010

Rooms pretty clean, great location, nice service. Air-condition and WiFi in the hotel. Rooms were cleaned daily, when we were leaving there was no problem to order taxi to the airport. Breakfast served near reception which is the only disadvantage. We couldn't pay with a card as terminal was broken?!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2010

Beware: Dirty, Smelly, Noisy, BUGS, Shoe box rooms. STAY AWAY!!

I Booked a "Family Room" for myself, wife and two children (2 and 11months) one month in advance. We arrived to find the room was not ready. They then gave us what seemed to be a single room crammed with three singles beds. They took the third bed up from the basement whilst we were waiting downstairs.

The room stank of cigarette smoke; all the bedding was not clean and also stank of smoke, sheets were and pillow cases were clean, pillows stank of smoke too. There were no quilts just blankets that were smelly and caused me to itch every time they touched my skin.

They put two single beds together witch did not fit together well ad hence gap in the middle. The third bed was crammed in leaving very little space in the room, just enough floor space for a luggage bag.

There were insects in the room that bit my daughter all over her arms and legs. The walls between rooms are so thin you can hear people in the next room even if they talk normally. The windows did not open and close properly; even the room’s door did not close properly.

Shower leaked water all over the tiny bathroom floor, which my son slipped on and hurt himself. Hair dryer did not work.

I booked for 6 nights, after the first night (a sleepless night) I went out to find another hotel. I found one after check out time hence ended up paying for the second night but never stayed there, moved to the other hotel immediately.

Also, when I went to complain there was another couple making a complaint about the same things, they also mentioned that a member of staff disturbed them at 11pm asking if he could borrow the air con remote. What a cowboy!

Overall this hotel is a disgrace to Turkish hospitality.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family