Hotel stay was very good, really enjoyable, It's located near all the great attractions and the staff were very friendly. The hotel is loacted on a steep hill but wasn't much of a big deal, I walked everywhere, never had to take the tram or cab.
A one thing, in my opinion will make this place very good or excellent. You get will ripped off most of the time when you buy anything in Istambul and it will be helpful if the staff can give more advice and help on prices.
1) I took a taxi from Ataturk airport to the hotel and it cost me 30 lira (on the meter). When I needed to go back to the airport, I asked the hotel receptionist how much it would cost for their private transfer service for the journey. The guy I spoke to said 50 lira. Later in the day I asked another receptionist later the same question, he said it would cost 55 lira, "but he would do it for 50" making it sound like he was "doing me a favour" He said that a normal Taxi fair would cost 40 lira and I knew it only costs about 30 lira. I didn't make a fuss as I could be asked to haggle or dispute the cost. The taxi guy came in the morning, didn't put his meter on and he quoted 40 lira, at this point I just felt sad and just paid this amount. I know we are tourists, but not made of money!!
2) Water is a necessity!!! And they don't provide water for free - Fair enough they want to charge for water but charging 3 lira for a small bottle (250ml) from the mini bar I thought was extortionate when you can buy a small bottle of water outside for as little as half a lira and a big bottle (2) litre for 1 lira?
A little bit of extra help will go a long way and if these things are taken into consideration, I think this hotel will be a little gem.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- May Hotel is situated in the Sultanahmet district in the centre of Istanbul. All of the rooms have air conditioning and satellite TV. The hotel offers free Wi-Fi. Grand Bazaar is 500 m from the property. The terrace offers panoramic views of Istanbul in the summer. The hotel restaurant serves traditional Turkish cuisine and a variety of drinks can be enjoyed in the bar. The hotel is only 10 minutes walk away from many of Istanbul's historic sights including the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sohpia, Basilica Cistern, and Topkapi Palace. May Hotel Istanbul is 14 km away from Atatürk International Airport. Fatih is a great choice for travelers interested in museums, monuments and architecture. This is our guests' favorite part of Istanbul, according to independent reviews. We speak your language! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity.ca, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Priceline, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your May Hotel Istanbul reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.