“Great little boutique hotel in Istanbul!”
Review of Ahmet Efendi Evi

Ahmet Efendi Evi
Ranked #46 of 1,070 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 January 2012

A friend and I stayed here in November for 5 nights and they made us feel like we were at home. They helpful with tips on making dinner reservations and places to sightsee. Ahmet Efendi Evi is in a very convenient location to the major attractions in the Sultanahmet area. Walking past Hagia Sophia and The Blue Mosque (Sultanahmet) at night was magical and every night, we said how glad we were to be staying so close. Don't miss the Bascilica Cistern and the Topkapi Palace. Pay the extra to see the Harem area.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter as there is a train that goes past pretty regularly and a mosque a hal...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank maryama123
There are newer reviews for Ahmet Efendi Evi

Reviewed 4 January 2012

Firs of all I want to say that I loved this boutique hotel as much as I loved the entire city and I think it's the perfect location for exploring the wonderful Istanbul.
From my point of view I can't find anything not good at this hotel. The stuff is just great, they speak a perfect English, they give you all the informations you need and if they do not know they search the internet for it. Before the check in they give you a map and make you a short presentation of the Istanbul and what is more important and more interesting to see. And this accompanied by a coffee, tea or juice.
We booked initially a double room for 7 nights which was ok, not too big but enough for us. After the first night because we stayed a long period we received the propose to move in another room that was in fact an apartment with bedroom and living room. We accepted it of course, this room was more than we needed: 2 rooms, lcd TV, coffee and tea in the room, it was great.
What I liked so much was the smell in the room and in the entire building, a little bit of oriental smell, something meant to introduced you better in the atmosphere of Istanbul.
The breakfast is what I expected from a boutique hotel, it was enough for me, especially the yoghurt which I ate every morning.
And now what is so great for this hotel is the location. It is situated on a little street, a few minutes from Sultanahmet.
If I would go the second time in Istanbul I would stay again without any thinking here because for me it was the best choice and I kindly recomend this location for a great stay in a great city.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Pink_gabi
Reviewed 26 December 2011

We loved our 8 night stay at the Ahmet Efendi Evi. Yusef was there to greet us when we arrived from the airport shortly after daybreak and well before anyone else was stirring. We had been delayed with a diverted flight and an unscheduled 15 hours on the ground at Jakarta airport so were a bit the worse for wear at that stage. The hotel had arranged for a car to pick us up at the airport and that worked as promised, even with the changed time of arrival. We were given a room to rest up immediately until our first floor room was ready later on. The rooms and bathrooms here are small but so is the price compared to the bigger hotels. Everything is spotlessly clean and the management/owners are friendly and attentive and english is spoken.

Gonul sat down with us and supplied us with a map and local information and tips before we left the hotel to explore. Mehdi was equally as attentive and friendly as was Yusef who usually supervised the breakfast room. Breakfast was traditional Turkish from what we could discover: cheeses, cucumbers, dried fruits (and some fresh), local breads, yoghurt, boiled eggs and more. It was identical every morning but maybe this changes a little seasonally. Being there 8 nights a little change would have been appreciated but, having said that, the breakfast was fresh and adequate.

Being Aussies we booked a day trip to Gallipoli (the hotel told us who to go with) and were picked up early by the tour company. Mehdi sent us off with a carry bag full of food for our breakfast on the road and a thermos of coffee - wonderful service!! (no extra charge)

We were able to access internet with our own computer from our room as we were just above the office annex but normally internet is available at no charge in the lounge/breakfast area.

The Ahmet Efendi Evi is only a 10 minute walk up the hill to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, The Basilica Cistern and the trams to all areas. In the other direction you can walk to the water's edge of the ocean inlet in 5 minutes.

This was a superb location in Sultanahmet with easy access to everything day and night.

If you want a 5 star room service hotel with huge foyers and the like, don't stay here. If you enjoy walking a little, want a clean B & B atmosphere with friendly people in a great convenient location we highly recommend this establishment. Thanks Mehdi, Gonul and Yusef for a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Oz_WandererGoldCoast
Reviewed 28 November 2011

If you are a first time traveler to Istanbul or a seasoned veteran - it would be difficult to find a more perfect place to enjoy your stay.
Tucked away in the Sultanahmet district, this little gem is within walking distance to the Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia and the Basilica Cistern. It is also located in an incredible neighborhood away from the commercial district where you can really soak up the culture.
Our first evening we were met by our host and owner, Mehdi Barradi. Knowing that we are both very interested in the history and culture of the neighborhood, he gave us a lecture of sorts explaining the history of Istanbul and ending with a tour of the little neighborhood. Of particular interest is the nearly 400 year old residences and the Akbıyık Cami Mosque. There are wonderful little local groceries along with fruit and vegetable vendor.
The hotel is very artfully appointed with very tasteful items. The rooms are cozy with beds that are very comfortable. There are ample drawer and closet space.
Breakfast is very good - fresh feta cheese, olives, yogurt, grape syrup, dried and frest fruits, grains, breads, cucumbers tomatoes - very Turkish and lots of hot coffee or tea! Wonderful!
The staff were sooo very helpful. English is spoken so no need to worry. Yusef is so dear. I had work to be done while there and spent the day at my laptop in the lobby area (this is more like a wonderful comfy living room). Yusef was so kind as he refilled my coffee for me several times.
The internet was fine. No wireless in the rooms as the architecture of the building doesn't allow for it but the wireless was just perfect there in the lobby.
The staff there is willing to help you plan anything so don't be afraid to ask. Mehdi gave us a map and hilighted all the areas we wanted to see. Yusef gave us instructions on how to use the public transport.
Everything was so simple and we felt so much at home.
We would not hesitate to stay there again - in fact we will be certain to stay there when we do return.
Thanks to Mehdi, Gonul and Yusef for making our stay perfect.
One last item - yes the rates for airport shuttle has gone up - but they informed us regarding this. This is not their rate but the rate of the shuttle.

Room Tip: All rooms are wonderful, so no fear. We were in the Terrace Room with a lovely Terrace but after se...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2011

My wife and I are from India. We stayed at this amazing place from Nov 6 to Nov 10 2011. The key POSITIVES of this place are: 1. The 55 Euro per night top floor double room was an amazing value for money option compared to the other places we stayed at in Turkey
2. Amazingly courteous, helpful and informative people own and run this place (Mr Ahmad Barradi, the owner-manager and the ever helpful Yusef, in particular). They provided a lot of useful practical information to us on how to travel in Istanbul.
3. Our top floor room did not have a terrace but had a good view of the Blue Mosque(see picture).
4. Ahmet Effendi is located just 5 minutes by walking away from Topkapi Palace, the Blue Mosque and Aya Sofia. An amazing location.

We slept very well on all nights. However some light sleepers may have a problem in sleeping when the train passes. This is a very small issue however. Overall this was one of the best places we stayed in Turkey. Thank you Mr Barradi and Yusef.

Room Tip: If you want a double room, take the top floor room facing the Blue Mosque.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PrinceAnuraagMishra
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I stayed in the Ahmet Efendi for a week in October and would always come back to this place.
Why?
- the people in this hotel (the owner and the stuff) were always absolutely friendly and helpful. You asked them about a good, not too expensive place for food: they told you. You asked them about postboxes for your postcards: they offered to bring them to the GPO themselves. They always had time for a friendly chat and were there if you needed them.
- the hotel is perfectly located for some of the main attractions in this town, it's less then 10 minutes walk (uphill) to the Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque and, conveniently, a Tram-station. Located nearby (next door or 100m away in the other direction) are small shops were you can get water and other small things).
- the rooms are absolutely clean. Yes, the Twin-bed rooms (and the Doubles) are a bit on the small side, as are the bathrooms, but this is Istanbul Old Town, not a newly build western hotel with as much room as you like. So they are cozy and have great matresses for your comfort, i.e. something you can't say for many other hotel rooms in this world.

There are one or two things that could be better, sure, but for me they are not reason enough not to give less than best marks for this place.
- breakfast was very delicious, but it was more or less the same same food for 7 days. A bit variety after some days would be perfect! And yes, once (1) during our 7 days stay we had to wait 5 minutes for a breakfast table (I think they have 4 of them). But so what! It's called a Boutique-hotel for a reason! For me that's means not too many rooms, a family-like atmosphere (were family stands for friendliness, cosiness, .... you get it) and e.g. a breakfast room smaller than a gym. There is a nice settee where you can have a coffee or tea while chatting with the other travellers or the stuff. That holidays for me!
- something I knew about before and didn't mind but what should be mentioned again, I think: you will most certainly wake up quite early in the morning, at least in your first night, because of the Muezzin(s) close by. But as I said, I knew that and for me it is part of being in a Muslim country, so don't complain. ;-)

So come here if you don't want to spend your precious vacation-time in a way too big hotel or simply like the family-like friendliness of the people there, I'm sure you won't regret it!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alemanne
Reviewed 27 October 2011

We arranged airport transport with the hotel over the phone. They told us that it was 40 EUR for two persons. When we paid for this shuttle service during check out all of a sudden they wanted 60 EUR which is more than a normal taxi! In booking confirmation mail a lower price was stated but they said their prices have risen from one month to the other. What a rip-off!

Also the hotel did not accept credit card nor debit card which is also unacceptable for an accommodation at this price level. We had to withdraw quite a bundle of cash from the ATM. This fact was not mentioned in booking conditions.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple