“agree completely with the August visitor”
Review of Canberra Hotel

Canberra Hotel
Ranked #18 of 33 Hotels in Selcuk
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“agree completely with the August visitor”
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Spot on , and summed up perfectly the below review. Having just returned from this hoteL I agree completely !!!! the owners are friendly but thats it !!! couldn`t wait to leave this dilapitated `hotel`;

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dave H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 2 September 2011

I try to base each review on the price I have paid. So for a 2 night stay with my 2 teenage boys I paid 50 Euros per night. I chose this hotel based on many reviews. Most were correct in saying that the brothers at this hotel are extremely helpful and courteous, that is 100% correct. BUT the hotel itself is in a really shabby state. Our room was 3 single beds, a balcony door that didn't lock, A/C remote missing batteries and possibly the worst bathroom I have seen in 28 years of constant travel. A basin barely hanging from the wall, a shower that needs complete re grouting and fills up after one shower (doesn't seem to drain for 20 minutes - so by 3 showers its overflows the bathroom). The walls seem paper thin and all doors need to be slammed to engage the locks, so the noise levels are bad, not good if you are a light sleeper. All TV stations are in Turkish, not useful when wanting some down time to maybe watch some foreign TV. No reviewer mentioned that it's also next door to a mosque, which means that the call to prayer (via loudspeakers) is at sunrise, which was 4:55am for us. I find the call to pray chant quite soothing, but not at that hour. So for people that have trouble going back to sleep, this will be a problem. The much talked rooftop restaurant we didn't get to sample as the chef was sick during our stay. The breakfast was unimpressive, I had read about the excellent fruit offerings but all we saw was some watermelon. The wireless internet seemed to work on and off when it felt like it. I came to the Canberra hotel excited by so many good reviews and was extremely disappointed, it is rated 2 star,but I think it's a level below backpacker and wouldn't stay there again. There is an excellent water slide park nearby called Aqua fantasy, which is great for kids or even big adult kids. Good for a rest from Ephesus (ing) too many roman ruins. Definitely recommend a visit there!

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Caveman60
Ghent, New York
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We were not looking for anything fancy, just an affordable, good hotel. And Canberra fulfilled those requirements. We requested to have a look at the room before committing. We were shown two rooms, and chose the one we preferred. The owner was very friendly, forthcoming and helpful. We did not feel pressured into taking the room, but were left free to choose. Our room had two balconies. We could open both doors which allowed for a nice breeze. Though the room as such was not that big, it was right for us. It had a good feel to it. The restaurant was on the roof, from which one had an expansive view, over toward Ephesus (not visible), the Artemision, and St. John's Church (part of it visible). We thoroughly enjoyed our breakfasts up there. The location of the hotel is ideal. It is close to the bus and taxi terminal, the Tourist Information house, and the museum. Furthermore, one could easily walk to the St. John's Church and the Artemision (about a 10 minutes walk). We added another day to our vacation because we liked it so much.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Our stay at this hotel was incredible: from the moment we set foot on the train station platform, everything clicked. Not only did the manager personally insist on picking us up, but the entire staff at this hotel went out of their way to help and advise, and they were invariably spot on. The rooms are small but spotless, the beds are firm and our room had a balcony. More importantly, the rooftop terrace at this hotel is the place to hang out when not visiting the Ephesus area (and there is lots to see!). The view up there is magnificent, the food delicious and homecooked (including breakfast), the staff charming and kind. Honestly we didn"t want to leave after having spent 2 days here, but the hotel they booked for us turned out to be another gem! We are thrilled with our holiday and Turkey and Canberra was one of the highlights of our vacation.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chrissieAS
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We liked everything in this hotel. The staff is very friendly, the food on the terrace overlooking the whole town offers a delicious Turkish cuisine, healthy breakfast and a fantastic view on the Castle of St-John, the old mosque, the church of St-John and the last standing column of the Artemision. It isn't far from Ephesus, the Seven Sleepers and the House of Virgin Mary. The museum is a few steps away and the (very colourful) open market is near. Yet it is quiet, the wifi works very well, the room was comfortable, clean and spacious. We enjoyed our stay very very much. I recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upstairs, you'll be closer to the restaurant terrace. There's a lift.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nishman
UK
Reviewed 30 July 2011

What a great choice of hotel.

I arrived in the evening to a warm, friendly greeting. My room was a very good size with great air con (much needed), a big and very clean bathroom with a nice powerful shower, and two balconies with really nice views from both. The bed was comfortable and I noticed there was also a TV in the room.

I spent some time in the lovely rooftop bar/restaurant, ideal place for the sunset and offering some fantastic views of Selcuk and the areas around it. I was having a steady evening, wanting to be up early the next day for sightseeing, so ate there and am glad I did! Meatballs with a massive mezze and some apple tea - gorgeous, really nice, and probably the cheapest restaurant meal I found in my time in Turkey!

Breakfast was good, mix of fruit, meats, bread etc and the owner sorted out my route (provided me with a guidebook too) around Ephesus and other places in the area for me. He also sorted out all my ongoing buses (I was heading down the coast from Selcuk) which was a massive help as I was struggling to find the best route. To top it, I was given a cup of tea and a lift to the bus station and pointed to the correct bus too (although the bus station is actually only a couple of minutes walk away anyway).

I was only there for one night but would happily go back anytime.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank growlershot
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 20 July 2011

This was the first stop in a two week trip through Turkey and we were picked up from the train station (within 5 minutes of calling) by one of the brothers who run this centrally located Selcuk hotel. Savas and Mehmet take excellent care of their customers, ranging from working the kitchen with their friends to negotiating a rental car with/for us to driving us out to a great leather outlet. The hotel is older with smallish, simple rooms, but most have balconies and are well maintained. The rooftop restaurant was truly enjoyable, especially for dinners, where our first evening we enjoyed an amazingly prepared whole sea bream, somehow grilled and fried so it was crispy while moist (when we asked how it was prepared, the chef said he'd tell us, but he'd have to kill - an old joke that apparently translates across cultures - Savas then told us how it was prepared). This was probably the best seafood dish we had on the trip. We were also able to walk to the ruins from this hotel along a tree-lined path/sidewalk, which took about 30 to 40 minutes.. If you are looking for a high-end hotel, this is not the place for you but if you appreciate good customer service don't hesistate to stay at this place (and don't forget to order the sea bream).

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple