“Warning - do not get henna tattoo!”

Aqua Fantasy Aquapark Hotel & SPA
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Selcuk
Reviewed 11 August 2011

We had a wonderful two week holiday here and on the last day my nine year old daughter got a temporary dolphin henna tattoo at the tattoo shop beside the carribean pool. On return from holiday and as the tattoo began to fade my daughter's arm was covered in blisters and mad with itch all over the tattooed area. On seeking medical advise my daughter needed an oral antibiotic and antibiotic cream as the henna used had caused an allergic reaction. Her arm is still not healed and she may be left with possible scarring. Apparently the henna used at this resort is not like the natural henna (Brownish in colour) used in Tunisia and Morocco. I am disgusted that they use this type of henna which can cause such a severe reaction and Management need to assess the services provided by the hotel in order to properly protect the health and well being of their customers.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank D M
Write a ReviewReviews (2,439)

Reviewed 10 August 2011

We stayed at Aqua Fantasy 25th July-8th Aug 2011 with our 2 boys aged 14 and 9 and we had the best time ever.Please ignore many of the negative comments on here these people would moan in a 6 star hotel that celebs go to.Of course certain things are not all-inclusive BUT this is clearly stated in the description.It is a huge complex but this added to our enjoyment as we could go for a walk around after our evening meal.The two restaurants are a 3min walk away from each other.The food was a little repetative but that's to be expected really,the deserts weren't very nice though,mainly covered in syrup.Be aware that there are many nationalities staying at this hotel and some are extremely rude especially in the dining room,pushing in as if you are invisible (they soon got told) lol!! The rooms are basic(we had a family room)but they are clean and tidy,maid comes in daily.I didn't like the fact that u couldn't get a cup of tea with milk unless you were in the dining room,it was powdered milk(do they not have cows in Turkey??) lol.The entertainment both day and night was brilliant especially in the Ampitheatre.We went to the aquapark about 4 times in all and only 1 day was it a bit too busy.I don't think we waited more than 5 mins for most slides apart from the family slide which is a MUST,my 9yr old loved it.Kusadasi town is lovely,a 15min taxi ride away costing approx. 30TL...if your lucky during the day you will get to see the cruise ships,we also went 1 evening to do a little clothes shopping which was lovely.My 14yr old met loads of friends at the hotel from different countries and they were all quite upset to be leaving each other(thank goodness for facebook) lol.My only real negative comment would be the saving of sunloungers.If you were up after 6am u have no chance of getting one.People were putting towels out on beds that they had no intention of using until the afternoon and the hotel did not address this problem,so you have to follow suit and do the same.Our room overlooked the Fontana(main pool)so bound to be popular.We would be going back next summer if it wasn't for the fact that my daughter is getting married in Greece next Sept..But as Arnie said... 'I'll be back'!!!

1  Thank beauty67
Reviewed 10 August 2011

just back on monday 8th August, we knew the trip from Bodrum was 2 1/2 hours and it was quite a nice run if you land in the day < lots to see etc. Thhotel is massive about 3000 people the rep told us, even though it wes full it did'nt seem overcrowded except for at breakfast, sunbeds were hard to get as there is no towel control and we found people were putting towels down and not useing them untill late in the day.
the food was good but repetative we found but the tropicana resturant was by far the best buffet especially the BBQ's, one night they had 2 whole Tuna fisy about 1 meter long
( nice) now for the bast bit, if you have kids who like the holiday clubs this one is fantastic, my boy didnt want to come out. Auntie Sandra and her team really know how to look after the children This helps the adults in 2 ways, it gives you a nice break and means you can go to the adult pool where there are always pleanty of sunbeds.
we had a bit of a run in with some idiots from holland who thought it was funny to go mad in the pool with a ball but all in all the people there were nice, the hotel is quite a ride from Kussadassi, about£12 in a cab and there are no shops outside to walk too. lastly the place was always being cleaned if anything fell onto the floor it was cleared up straight away.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank martin c
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Just returned from the Aqua Fantasy Resort and while it has excellent facilities there is some bad points as well.

We were in a family room and it was very spacious for us ( 2 adults 1 kid ). It had a king size bed and a single bed plus a sofabed . The bathroom was showing signs of being dated but it served a purpose well.

The food on site was excellent as was the entertainment.

But here are the bad points.

This is not a truly all inclusive resort and the hotel will try and extract money from you every chance they get.

You have to pay extra for your safety deposit box , ice lollies , most ice creams , all games in both games rooms , mini bar , beach activities , wifi , and they will even fine you for drinking all inclusive drinks on your balcony.

This is an excellent hotel sadly spoiled by a rather poor all inclusive concept.

They rate the hotel as 5 star but I rate it 4 star .

The first choice reps seem to do there job well but there seems to a lack of communication with them and the uk as we pre-booked seats on the aircraft before our holiday but the reps at Aqua fantasy had no knowledge of this and one rep even insisted we would have to pay again to get our pre-booked seats but when I mentioned it to another rep she had the sense to check it further and It was sorted out.

The alcohol on site is the weakest I have ever drunk on an all inclusive tariif so don't expecting to get drunk as it just won't happen ( Lager 1.2%)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank PT10
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Just returned from Aquafantasy with my family and friends and it is was the best holiday we have ever been on. How could anyone have anything bad to say about this superb hotel. We have been on a lot of holidays before including all inclusive hotels and would have to repeat again this was the best.. The entertainment was non stop during the day and just as good by night and they dont force you to participate. Some days I took part and other days I didn't and there was no hassle.Simon , Jack sparrow ,James and all the gang work extremely hard to ensure that you enjoy your stay.Large selection of dishes in the resturant for all sittings. Lovely safe beach with free pedal boats and canoes for the kids.Fantastic waterpark.
As all the staff work extremely hard it is unfair to single out a few but the staff in the Pearl bar deserve a metion.I realise some people do have genuine problems when on holiday but some of the poor reviews I read about this complex are totally off the wall. Some people are never happy. Will def return next year.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Gerard086
Reviewed 8 August 2011

hi went to this accommodation a week ago. enjoyed it though when we got there it says it was a 5* me and my husband dint think this i think this was only a five star cause of the aqua park . we travelled with my 2 daughters aged 17/11 and my step son age 14 . the hotel was far to big u had to be up b4 god 2 get a sun bed. rooms were very basic and as for the aqua park my kids went in twice. ( what a waste of money that was even tho it was free ) the cues for the aqua park were unreal as u had them coming from the hotel and also from the public at the other end . also u had to be a certain weight to go on some slides. there is plenty of entertainment there is also a quite pool for adults only . the main pool were all the entertainment was ,was very busy .beach didn't think much to that reminded me of mud on the beach the sand wasn't sand . there was plenty of bars to go to in this hotel always something going on . the food was best by far . the journey from the airport was a bit of a trek 2 1/2 hours by shuttle bus we already booked this b4 we went it want that expensive straight through as well no stopping for other people to get off the bus. what i can say tho is the holiday reps were very very helpful always happy to help . i can say tho as much as we enjoyed it as our family holiday we will not be going back-to this hotel .

2  Thank shelly3639
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Quick Summary: (for those who dont want the detail)
Hotel: very good (not all positive-see below)
Food: Good
Entertainment: excellent
Location: OK
Would I go back: YES!

For those (like me) who want a bit more information... Here goes!!
Room: Good
Our family group consisted of Me (a bloke) and two kids ( 9yr and 5yrs). Booked the 'Family room', understood that most of them had a double bed and a screened off room with a single bed. Arrived at the hotel to find we had been given a room where we were all in together, (double and a single) seemed pretty cramped, I complained and was moved the next day to a screened room, much better room, bigger, designed better and more privacy. Room was good, air con was not cold, but cool enough. good size balcony (again other room-balcony very small) and had been given a high room, and a quite room (as requested)
Pools: Good
3 huge pools, as well as indoor one, an adults only one, and one in the Spa, (which no-one used) Problems with selfish guests hogging sunbeds with towels (and not using them) is as bad at this hotel as I have ever seen, you either do without a sun bed or get up and do the 'walk of shame' at 7-8am on the basis that if you cant beat them..join them!
Thankfully for anyone with children you are used to little sleep and early mornings, so for me wasnt a problem, did the walk of shame with my head held high!!
Lots other little pools with slides etc.
HOWEVER: all three of the main pools have a depth of 1.40 metres (over 4 and half feet)across nearly the entire pools. (most pools I go to are 1-1.2 meters so that most kids can stand in them) There are very small shallow ends which are paddling depth, the rest is 'deep' (as my 5 yr old would say) This could be a problem for some, My youngest is just starting to swim, he didnt want to wear armbands, and would swim off into the middle of the pool, then realise he didnt have the energy to swim to the side,so I had to watch him like a hawk for the entire holiday. Again wasnt a problem for me as I would spend all day in the water, but some may find this a pain.
Food:
Good.. not great ..but good
Initially I was quite daunted by the two main restaurants. It is catering on a massive scale, being on my own with the kids again presented problems with so many diners. It is all self service buffet, drinks are not generally bought to the table. If all 3 of us left the table, you could come back and find someone else sat there. (you just got in the habit of leaving a personal item there to prevent this!)
However, there was always lots of choice, fresh food was cooked right through the service, and considering the sheer size of the task of feeding so many, I thought the variety and quality was good. Lots of salads, stuff for kids ,and always several feature dishes cooked freshly. having said all of that, i did eat out on 5 occaisions.
Entertainment: Excellent:
Kids club was great both my kids went regularly and made friends that they then pal-ed out with at the Pool.
Kids disco.. good.. but very busy.. could 100-150kids there.. some shyer kids might find it a bit daunting.
Daytime entertainment was excellant, Simon and his troops, did a great job water polo/darts/beach volleyball/pool games etc. i didnt join in, (as i was looking after my youngest - pay attention!!) but watched and spoke to lots that did.. great fun.
Evening entertainment, they had shows on most nights about 9pm, and they were fantastic. The Avatar show/Lion king show/Turkish night and micheal Jackson night were brilliant and far and away the most professional shows i have seen at a hotel.
Late entertainment: lots to do if you wanted to party into the wee small hours,, beach parties/discos etc.. cant tell you much about those.
Water Park: Great
Next door and joined to the hotel, come and go as you please. We would go about 5pm when the Qs had tailed off. Kids loved it and something for all ages
Overall: Excellent
As you have read, not everything is positive about the hotel, however we had a fantastic holiday. I Went to marmaris in 2002 and had an awful holiday and swore I would never go back to Turkey (food poisoning/con artists everywhere/crap hotel etc etc) I went to this hotel because a friend of a friend had recommended it, and am so glad I did and owe an apology to the people of Turkey!! they were almost without exception, lovely and courteous people. (please do not listen to individuals with axes to grind who come across a rude individual and it 'ruins' their holiday.. if you want surly.. just go to your local High st/supermarket and you will find it again and again, and you would dream of complaining about in a review!!)
Although the hotel is very big, service didnt suffer and there were major benefit in that the facilities at the hotel were excellent, and the kids were never bored. there are literally hundreds of kids at the hotel, so if your going with kids, (and this hotel is primarily for families with children) they will make plenty of friends, as consequently you will enjoy your holiday all the more.
I have never returned to a hotel before, but (if I can do so) I would return to this hotel without a second thought and knowing where everything is, (takes about 4-5 days to work it out.. its huge!!) would be an advantage. At the end of the day the best compliment anyone can pay an hotel is that you would go back there again.. enough said!!
If anyone wants to ask me questions before they go i would be happy to respond, (I asked a number of questions before i went and it helped me decide what to take/not take etc.)
PS: Try and book Izmir flights, much shorter transfer than Bodrum.. and beware Bodrum airport £5 for a can of coke..
Have a great Holiday!!

Room Tip: see review. ask for quiet room.