“Poor to average better pay your money somewhere else”

Aqua Fantasy Aquapark Hotel & SPA
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Selcuk
Reviewed 16 August 2017

Average to a disappointed side... It was our family holiday with a one year old baby. Arrived late and were given a room above the main bar which was incredibly noisy; were told by a member of staff at reception that the bar will close at 1am but at 3.15am still none of us could sleep and the noise was so bad that it seemed all these drunk loud people are in our room.. So my husband went to the reception where he was promised to be given different room the next morning. It set a bit of a disappointment straight away as whoever sets the rooms was fully aware we will come for a two week holiday with a little child, did they really expect us to stay in that room?? In the morning, as shift changed we weren't really greeted with our request but some how my husband and I got a feeling this room is not very popular so it was not a surprise as well... We were offered another much smaller horrible room with the view to a car park claiming the hotel is full and no other choice - we decided better this than noisy people till middle of the night for the rest of 13 nights... By the time we packed our suitcases and came to the reception, we were guided to a different lovely room, which was a bit of a relief but once again set even more of disappointment as apparently there were other rooms...

All members of staff looked either tired or just all having a bad day. A few lovely morning ladies in the main bar by the reception and housekeeping team were probably the one who would greet you with the smile or "hi". Do not expect a smile or good morning from reception staff, bar staff, chefs, dining hall staff...

The food very average, always repeated itself (and yes, it is possible to have a bit of a change in the menu and more of a variety of the food, my own experience shows that!), but it was quite tasty and definitely you can find something to survive! Had dinner at Chinese restaurant - best food and nice service!
I wouldn't really drink but on my holidays I love to enjoy my dinner with a lovely glass of wine - very poor quality of wine and I don't drink strong liquids. To my huge disappointment no proper coffee even for breakfast, cheap untasty instant nescafe coffee, also, pay extra for fresh orange juice.

Very unpleasant incident by the adult swimming pool - we had our sleeping baby in the very corner of the adult pool area when she was asleep meaning me and my husband can enjoy a proper pool for about half an hour and once she wakes up, we would immediately leave (and that was fine for two days agreeing with a member of staff by the pool).Next day we were rudely asked by a diff member of staff to leave the area and a member of staff from guest relation team came with a security guard to export us(!!!) it was so embarrassing.... And such a lack of experience/self confidence.. I wonder if a two male guests would start to argue, would they call turkish army?? Since then, my husband would take our daughter to our room for naps as other places were so noisy she wouldn't sleep, giving me some time to stay by the pool and catch up on my tan(adult pool). To my huge disappointment other people were allowed to have their children and enjoy pool or cup of coffee by the pool bar with a member of staff nearby and even serving them. (I have proof of that in case of any doubt). To my huge surprise, no-one called security guard on them and did not ask them to leave... Different rules to different nationalities?! Can not find any other answer...

Except the main bar by the reception, the rest of the bars service we experienced was very poor - it is always so frustrating when a barman refuses to move around and would serve only whoever comes in front of his face... meaning you might stand and wait for a drink for ages, soo unprofessional!! When you have 3 customers by the bar and do not realise who came first... Saw many people getting upset, but well, the barmen is just too tired and can't be bothered to move...And it wasn't a particular barmen, most of them were the same!

We found our room to be always nicely cleaned but the rest of the areas not so really... You can see so many members os staff passing by some rubbish but wouldn't stop to pick it up. Plates, cups were very often found poorly washed...

4 weeks before we came to Aqua fantasy, we stayed in Tui Magic water world for a week, so the main difference between those two places - Tui Magic place each minute of our stay we felt welcome and valued for choosing their place while staying at Aqua Fantasy I got the impression 'we got your money, no one else matters..'. During our 14 night stay we haven't been asked even once how was our stay, not even when we checked out...

Buying this holiday on a busy holiday time here in uk, we paid quite a lot of money and having such a wonderful experience at Tui Magic Waterworld set really high standards. I just see this hotel and service as very basic and average. I did not find it to be baby friendly atmosphere either. I am afraid I would not recommend this hotel and myself and my family will not come back here as for the price we paid, there are plenty other choices around.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank kgalinis
Kathy_ExcAssistantGM, Manager at Aqua Fantasy Aquapark Hotel & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Guests,
We are very apologetic and sympathize with yourselves and the situation that happened at our adult only swimming pool. However, it is clearly signed that this is an over 18 pool, therefore, please be rest assured that we have spoken to several of our staff members and have enforced this, due to complaints from other guests. It was never our intention to make you feel embarrassed at all, but the reason we sent the guest relations staff member with our security was just our usual procedures to assist in any language barriers.
Please note that your comments have been taken onboard concerning our hardworking staff and the lack of service. We, of course, are as disappointed as yourself as all of our staff work on a 7,5 hour working day and we have informed our Food and beverage department manager of your comments.
We were glad that we were able to move you to another room as the possible reason you were allocated the first room, was as you did have a small child it was felt that this would be more assessable for yourselves to be closer to our amenities. However, as you can appreciate we are in our height of our summer period and of course the hotel is extremely busy and therefore noise can occur.
Once again we are sorry that you may not have enjoyed your stay as much as we would like and we apologize for any inconveniences that may have occurred.

There are newer reviews for Aqua Fantasy Aquapark Hotel & SPA

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

Huge hotel with a lot of pools and facilities. All inclusive with good quality and variety of food. 4 extra restaurants to choose, beach bar, evening shows etc.
Many thanks to Mr Ali, the restaurant manager, who was very very hospital with our family.
Big plus, the aqua park inside the hotel. Very good, not too much crowded, superb for kids.
There are some stores inside the hotel for the basics.
Good massage and Spa services.
A little noisy at nights especially around bars.
10 minutes from Kusadasi.

Generally a honest suggestion for a family with kids, who wants relax for adults and fun for kids.

1  Thank Antonis Z
Kathy_ExcAssistantGM, Manager at Aqua Fantasy Aquapark Hotel & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear Guests,
Thank you for your review, we are glad to hear that you and your family had a wonderful holiday here and we will certainly pass on your kind comments concerning Mr Ali our Food and Beverage Manager. We do hope that you will consider a return visit back to us in the near future.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

We stayed here from 24th July - 3rd August and had a good time.

Pros:
No mad rush for sunbeds
The hotel and grounds are very clean
The entertainments team during the day are fun but not intrusive
The water park is good all round family fun with a good vibe
The rooms are a good size and cleaned every day
Various different pools catering for different needs
Kids club was great
Evening entertainment was good - Firestorm and Beach Party recommended
Chinese A la carte
Ice creams and waffles

Cons:
THE MOSQUITOS
The food - quality isn't amazing and the choice is very repetitive
The staff are polite but not very friendly which is different to other hotels we've been to
Not enough seating at the beach bar on an evening after the main entertainment
Turkish and Italian A la carte

We have just returned from 10 days at this hotel and over all we had a great time.

Our party consisted of myself, my husband and our 6 year old son and this hotel was great for him with the water park, kids clubs running 3 sessions a day and a variety of different pools.

What we noticed very quickly was how relaxed the pace of life was at this hotel, no mad rush to get up at 6.30am to get prime real estate by the pool, the pools weren't over run with sunbeds so you had space to move around you could come down until about 11.30/12.00pm and get a good space. This was a great feature for us and unlike anywhere else we have been.

The hotel is kept very clean and tidy although it would be nice for cups etc. to be tidied up from the pool areas more often as they attract the wasps. We cleared up our own but not everyone does.

The entertainments team put on a number of activities during the day which are good fun and healthy (Yoga and Aquafit) and although the team come along and ask you to join they aren't pushy, maybe they could be a little more so :)

The evening entertainment always starts with a kids disco, which although it is super cheesy, the kids enjoy and this is very much a family hotel. After that comes the main entertainment which we enjoyed - in particular Firestorm and the Beach Party. My advise for the amphitheatre would be to pull over a wooded high table from the bar area into the back of the low down tables seating area as you can see over everyone's heads.

If you want to go to the beach party get there early if you want a seat. Worth a visit though.

Auntie Sandra runs a great kids club, my son went nearly every day and had a whale of a time, it also gave us some well earned peace!

There two main buffet restaurants although we preferred the one closest to the amphitheatre as it was brighter, more open and felt a bit more refined. The other one felt a bit like a cattle market, but that is just our opinion.

The quality of the food was ok but not great, we often had meat that was tough and chewy, there are also big que's for the freshly cooked items when the dinning room is busy. We felt that the choice of dishes was repetitive and there were a few days that we really struggled to find anything we would like to eat.

The Caribbean pool bar offers "fast food" choices although they looked very poor so we went to the Pearl bar for lunch most days or ate in the main dining room.

We visited the Chinese A la carte on our last night and it was great. The food was good and the service was impeccable, they were quick to re-fill drinks, they were friendly and engaged with us which was more that we can say anywhere else.

The food in the Turkish and Italian's was mediocre at best and the staff were pleasant but not very good. The Italian restaurant has a lovely view and is worth a visit but be prepared for the main courses to come out at different times if you haven't ordered the same thing. They also forgot my sons soup.

Unlike other places we have been in Turkey where the food and beverage manager walks around the dinning room talking to guests and introducing waiters there was no real interaction here, we also felt that none of the bar staff went out of there way to be friendly and have a laugh and joke. Don't get me wrong no-one was rude but we normally spend about £30/40 on tips but we are lucky if we spent £10 this year in the hotel.

If you choose this hotel you will have a great holiday and with a bit of tweaking it could be superb.

I will close on the Mosquitos as they are a real pain. Make sure you have repellent and cream as the mosi's here seem to carry a bug that can make you really swell up and take an adverse reaction. My husband and our friend ended up with a visit to the hospital for antibiotics and anti histamines. Make sure you have your travel insurance ready!!

Room Tip: Ask for a garden room
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Sally-Ann M

Dear Guests

Thank you for your informative review. We are very happy to hear that overall you had a wonderful family holiday. We do appreciate your mention of our Croco’s Kids Club and are delighted that your son had a thoroughly enjoyable time with our staff. We will bring all of your comments to the attention of our Department managers as we always aim to maintain a high level of service throughout our Hotel. We do hope to see you on a future visit.

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

Currently into our 3rd day here; we are here for 2 weeks.
We have just spent thousands of pounds to book this holiday and we were very much looking forward to it and this is the 3rd time we have come here in 4 years.

Last time we were here our 7 year old sons appendix burst and we spent 7 days out of 14 in hospital with him; needless to say our holiday was ruined!
We were all really looking forward to this time.
Every time we have come here; we have stayed in world side.
For some reason; this time we feel like we have been thrown in 'club side' and we didn't ask for club side!!
We arrived at 11.30pm on Saturday 12th August.
We were put in a buggy and took to a very dark side of the hotel and into an 'apartment' near the beach.
We were totally secluded and the apartment was horrible.

Let's just say it looked like a cheap 2 star apartment in the backstreets of Tunisia!
We immediately went to reception and requested we have our room changed and we do not want to stay in club side as we haven't asked for it and we always Stay world side.
We were told to come back in the morning and they will change the room for us.
We went the following morning (with 3 exhausted children; aged 11; 8 and 2!!)
Only to be told "you are club side so we have to keep you club side".
We were told they will change the room but we can't come to the world side; but they can give us a room 'a little bit closer".
We had no choice but to take it.

The room now is club side 1109.
It is disgusting.
Their is a chip in the bath; it is filthy and their is a cigarette burn in my 2 year old daughters travel cot.
The room and this part of the building is quiet and we hate it.
We are surrounded by gardens; all my children are asthmatic and it is triggered more by pollen and hay fever from grass and flowers.
Every night they are wheezing as all of the club side is surrounded by gardens.
£7000 down the drain when we could've gone to Dubai or anywhere.
We have a week and a half here yet and cannot wait to go home.
I have cried as I hate it.
Its affected my husbands work as we needed to be near main reception for the wifi to be better.
We specifically asked for that!
Our moods have been bad as we are all frustrated.
The reception staff have been disgusting and no help even when I explained everything to them on the first day.
Did we ask to be on club side? No.
We requested world side where we always stay with pool side views.
The children never had any wheezing problems their and my husband could get on with his business in the lobby whenever he needed to quickly.

We are in a Cheap looking; tacky; and disgusting room.
We all hate it and we will ever come back again..
Aqua fantasy; you have failed us this time and we were your loyal guests up until now.

8  Thank Nuzieshergill

Dear Mr Shergill,
As we know you are still here with us in resort, we would just like to say that a room request is just a request and we endeavor to fulfill requests whenever possible, but as you can appreciate it is the height of the summer season. However, we are happy that after the first few days we were able to move you over to the World side and as we believe you are now enjoying your family holiday. We apologize for any inconveniences and would like to once again say that, guest relations is at your service should there be any further queries you may have throughout your stay.

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

We travelled as a family group of 9. 6 adults and 3 children ranging from 3-10 years. The hotel itself is very big almost like a small village. It has many pools so no need for the lounger dash early doors!

The rooms were clean and spacious and ample for what we needed. The food did get a little repetitive but there was still plenty to choose from over the week.

The entertainment was good particularly the fire show and the beach party. It was lively around the pool areas and there was always something to take part in. Darts, aerobics, volleyball etc. If you're into fitness the hotel has a track around the perimeter for running and probably the best gym I've seen at a foreign hotel.

One thing that stood out for me is how hardworking the staff are. I saw what must have been a 60 year old lady maintaining the flowered areas in 35 degree heat on a daily basis- and doing a fantastic job. The whole staff work long hours and still do it with a smile on their faces. So much more hardworking than some of the lazy scroungers that won't do a days work in the UK!!

Overall, you will love it here.

2  Thank j0hnny11

Dear Guests

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us, and we do appreciate your kind comments concerning our hard working staff, who do their upmost in all departments. We do hope that you will consider a return visit in the new future.

Reviewed 14 August 2017

This was my first visit to turkey and as I was flying alone with my children 20,17,15,13 and11 was a bit uneasy,that feeling soon went,they loved it .the place is gorgeous,they always found something to eat although there favourite was the pearl bar at lunch ,the animation team are outstanding daisy,ozzy, anil made everyone feel great and want to return just to see them,i went not expecting to much and loved every minute ,if your kids love it then that's a holiday and we have already booked for next year
can't wait GAIL AND FAMILY X

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank dam089
Kathy_ExcAssistantGM, Manager at Aqua Fantasy Aquapark Hotel & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2017

Dear Guests,
Thank you for your review. We are so happy to hear that you and your children have had a wonderful holiday with us and have enjoyed every aspect of your stay. We are looking forward to seeing you all on another future visit.

Reviewed 12 August 2017

This was our third consecutive year staying at Aqua Fantasy and we had a great time. We saw a lot of familiar faces and the children were in a pool and settled within 30 minutes of arrival.

Some of our best memories from previous visits were created by the Animation team. This year the team was expanded with more team members and offered 2 new shows. We stayed as a family to watch at least 1 performance of every show offered (there is a weekly program that repeats) and even came back to see their Turkish show a second time. We also enjoyed daytime activities such as the foam party, pool party and various sporty events.

The Animation team excelled themselves this year and I can not find words that speak highly enough of their professionalism and conduct, both on the stage and off it. They look and act like a team who enjoy what they do and are aways hard at work, even when we were at lunch they could be seen rehearsing in the ampitheatre.

I would also like to highlight the kids clubs, both the Pirates (Scandinavian) and Crocs (International) who come a close second to the Animation team in reasons to return to Aqua Fantasy. We only used the Pirates club during the day but both clubs contribute to the evening Mini-Disco which had a wide repetoire of songs with only the opening and closing songs being fixed. The only mini-disco we missed was when we went to Kusadasi for the evening to eat at Planet Yucca (highly recommended, worth the money).

This year we went to the steak house for the first time and were very impressed with both the service and quality of the food. After being skeptical for 2 years of the only a la carte restaurant with an extra booking fee we can say that it was absolutely worth it and recommend it to other guests. We'd also recommend Mario's Italian restaurant, with great food and where we also had excellent table service.

Overall we had a wonderful time and enjoyed ourselves immensely during our stay - however as repeat guests we noticed other changes from previous years that were not all positive.

Aqua Fantasy bills itself as a 5 star hotel and this was certainly a fair assessment of some areas (Animation team take another bow) but there were also a number of other things we noticed that were not what we would expect from a 5 (or sometimes 4) star resort.

Overall I would rate the experience only 4 stars this time, compared to our first visit in 2015. In short there is a need for renovation in many areas and an improvement in customer service skills across the newer staff in particular.

If management remains complacent then it is hard to image Aqua Fantasy retaining its high ratings with the Travel Companies such as Nazar and Tui who we have travelled with.

Compared with previous visits there were a lot of staff that had lost "the sparkle". This is the difference between staff who are happy, fun to be around, visibly proud to work for the Hotel and made every interaction feel special (even something as mundane as ordering a drink) and those who give the impression of batch processing guests or doing "just enough" while waiting for their shift to end. I would estimate that in 2015 over 80% of the staff "sparkled", this year it was probably around 25%.

There was never a member of staff I would have complained about, but the attitudes and atmosphere were definitely down compared with previous years.

There was of course numerous exceptions to this and I would particularly like to mention a few of them:

- Everyone on the Animation team
--- Did I mention they were all awesome both on the stage and around the hotel? Seriously - these guys and girls are the Hotel's biggest asset - look after them and give them a bigger budget for more new shows (as someone with extensive theatrical experience I know that good quality costumes and scenary are not cheap).

- All the Nazar Pirates (Scandinavian Kids Club)
--- Really took good care of both our children and had them eager to go back for more. Their contribution to Mini-Disco was as high energy as always and kept all the children engaged. My daughter made a huge jump in pool confidence after attending the Nazar swim-school (thank you Astrid and Stina!), so much so that she stopped using flotation aids to focus on short distance un-aided swimming.

- Aunty Sandra (Manager for the International Kids Club)
--- Sandra was recovering from an illness during our first week and was very much missed from her usual slot on evening Mini-Disco. From the first night she was back on stage it was like the whole event lifted to another level and even the other team members lifted their game in response.

- Cesim (Manager at the Pearl Bar & Steak house)
--- Cesim can always be seen pitching in with his team even on the dirty tasks as well as taking time to interact with guests, especially children. His professionalism and excellent conduct towards all guests (even those guests whose manners leave something to be desired) at his bar/resturant clearly rubs off on his staff as their smiles and attitude really shined. It was always worth heading to the Pearl Bar for lunch even when our daily "base" was at the other pools further away that served food much closer.

- Nur (Bar staff at the Carribean Bar - mostly morning shifts)
--- Always cheerful and helpful, my wife noticed and remembered her over other bar staff, even commenting that it was a shame when Nur wasn't around when queueing for drinks in the evenings.

- Baris (Bar staff at the 24hr Lobby Bar)
--- Always smiling and having fun with both the guests and the other bar staff.

There were other good bar staff who made us feel welcome, but as many of them worked with no visible name badge I am unable to identify them here - nonetheless we thank them.

There was a noticeable deteriation in the upkeep of the hotel grounds and buildings.
Again - nothing that individual merited a complaint that would have led to repairs but rather a reflection of priorities when times are tough.

Examples:
- Plastered repair work in high traffic areas that had not been repainted to match the rest of the wall
- Decorative cart that had once been full of flowers that now looked decayed and rotten
- Tennis courts with faded and worn markings and weeds growing round the edges - this area was not on a main walkway and looked neglected
- Dirt at water level around the edges of pools and pool features. This dirt easily scraped away and many guests and written names or "clean me" messages
- Staff-only areas were the door opened onto high traffic public areas. The other side of the door was frequently in a much poorer condition than the public area. I understand that it is common in Hotels to prioritise the public areas but leaving such a visible contrast is more indicative of a struggling 3/4 star hotel than a 5 star hotel that targets only the highest quality everywhere
- Broken and discoloured protective foam at the edge of the indoor pool rope crossing
- Inconistencies with clocks across the hotel. We did not always bring our phones to the pool, enjoying being less "on the grid", so relied on the pool clocks. It was several days in before we realised that the clocks around the pools were up to 9 minutes behind - which meant that we had been inadvertently late picking up children and arranging meetups.

The pools and poolside, except for the aforementioned dirt at water level, and despite some cracked tiles and, in the case of the Fontana pool, missing safety grips at the edges, were kept clean and tidy and it was good to have different focus at each pool. The number of pools, plus the great beach meant that, despite the hotel being full, there were always sunbeds available at any time of the day and nowhere ever felt overcrowded.

Having a pool focussed on animation activities, a "disco pool" as one guest described it" and another quieter pool with no music or activities meant that there was something for everyone. And of course, there is also the waterpark which can be visited at any point, along with smaller fun pools for the kids at the hotel itself.

The beach was well maintained and clean and a great place to get those perfect sunset shots. The beach bar feels a little tired though and could do with an overhaul.

Our accommodtion was clean, and adequate for the limited time we spent in the room and, as always, the cleaners did a great job. Our kids enjoyed seeing the towel sculptures each day!

This year the free WiFi was expanded to be available in every room instead of just the under-used lobby area of the club hotel. Whilst this was a welcome improvement, the qualitiy of the WiFi connection was erratic, even at non-peak usage times.

Social Media and Mobile engagement is non-existent. In this respect Aqua Fantasy is years behind other resorts we have stayed at.Talking to Sandra (Crocs Kids Club) over coffee there are so many opportunities that we found in just a short chat over coffee, surely a full time marketing employee/team should be able to come up with something in this area.

Examples - assuming WiFi coverage is improved to anywhere in the hotel:
- Create an instagram feed with some hashtags that can be used when uploading holiday photos. Put TVs in public areas that monitor those hashtags and show a selection of the most recently uploaded photos. Imagine the excitement of a kid taking a picutre and then seeing their face up on a big TV by the pool minutes later!
- Tweeting out activity schedules for the day and "starting soon" reminders to followers of Aqua Fantasy main or sub twitter accounts
- Aqua Fantasy App
--- Contains safety information, opening/closing times, event planner
--- An interactive map showing current/coming events - a "what's on right now?" service
--- Integrate with own or native calendar to make a holiday planner - don't miss your favourite actities
--- Integrate a messaging service - contact the "kids club/animation/guest services/" with questions and get answers back to the app
--- In-App booking for ala carte restaurants
--- In-App booking/registration for activities with limited numbers - alternatively allow animation team to allocate extra resources to popular activities
--- In-App advertising for Hotel Shops and supporting brands

Finally I would like to close by restating that all the "opportunities for improvement" aside, we still had a really nice holiday and would like to thank all of the staff at Nazar and Aqua Fantasy that made it possible.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank Mandy M

Dear Mandy,
I cannot thank you enough for such a detailed and in depth review. Your comments were a pleasure to read and all of your comments have been taken into consideration. We are happy to hear to had a good holiday and the whole Aqua Fantasy team is looking forward to your return visit.
Kathy Nys

Also consider these accommodations in or near Selcuk
0.7 km away
1.6 km away
Pine Bay Holiday Resort
Pine Bay Holiday Resort
#32 of 155 in Kusadasi

Been to Aqua Fantasy Aquapark Hotel & SPA? Share your experiences!