“Horrible Stay Not again Not again!”

Citadel Youth Hostel
Reviewed 11 December 2010

Probably the worst place we ever stayed ever!

We stayed in room n 13. Room looked creepy and stinky. toilet smelled horribly bad with shower rain right on the top of the W.C., very nice.. the entire room was falling apart!!!!!!!!!!please believe me!!! u would waste your money!

We arrived in at 5:30 am and the owner (i guess) would not check us in cause it was too early, even though there was no one in the room and it was ready!
So he offered us to stay in another double room for 5/6 hours til check in time for 200 shekels!!

I don't get the people that are writing good things about this place! don't trust them at alllllllllllllllll, you will regret! Its expensive and the staff is very unpolite.
Not again Citadel Hostel, NOT AGAIN!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 November 2010

If you want location, Citadel Hostel has got it, situated in Old City off the beaten path from the suq on David St. We stayed in room 13 by the terrace, which provided a lovely view to the south of Old City. The accommodations were humble, but adequate. We didn't have any bed bugs, but the pillows were as thin as paper and after the second night, we started having neck problems. The bathroom stories in other reviews are true, but as long as you knew to expect it, it wasn't really a problem. The receptionists were friendly and helpful when we had questions.

I would recommend this place since we really only used it for a place to rest our heads at night, but if you're looking for a luxurious stay in Jerusalem, this place would definitely not fit the bill.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2010

I rarely give negative reviews of places I stayed in, but this is the worst hostel I've ever been. I booked a single room and they put me in a tiny, really tiny room with just one bed and almost no space at all. No hangers, no chairs, nothing!!! I felt like I was in a prison cell.

There was no window, just a hole with a curtain so transparent everyone from the corridor could see inside the room. The showers were crap, no place to hang towels/clothes. Yes, they have the rooftop where people can have nice views from the Old City, but you can have the same view walking around in some places. The man who works in the morning needs urgently to learn how to talk to people and there was another guy at night who was very helpful and nice. I don't understand what Lonely Planet saw in this place. If you want to sleep with some comfort and have a decent shower, don't go to Citadel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank ricdyin
Reviewed 25 October 2010

last weekend i stayed for 1 night in the Citadel Y.H. on the roof.

dislike
- You get an old mattress and a piece of s*** called blanket for 50 NIS.
- The total Youth Hostal is very small and the restrooms are tiny - you can have a shower and sitting on the toilett in the same time sitting....
- too much peole.
- The kitchen was dirty..no disgusting, had a really bad smell

- the view over the whole city from the roof is really impressive
BUT if you sleep there you will get up at least at 7.30 am because of really close church with a big bell.

Summarized
i recommand this hostal only people wanting to stay their one or two days.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 October 2010

The ideal place to stay in Jerusalem in my view:
- Perfectly located in oldtown
- Fantastic rooftop terrasse
- Dorms can get pretty packed and hot in Summer
- Recommendation for a private room
- The view from the rooftop terrasse is simply amazing
- Just a 10 min walk to the nightlife district of Jerusalem outside oldtown

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 September 2010

In early September, Citadel asked me for an unusually large deposit & then refused to return it when I had to change my plans and stay somewhere else. Another reviewer said, "The head honcho is foul" and this was my experience of him.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Jeff W
Reviewed 11 July 2010

I was really looking forward to staying here after reading up on it in the Lonely Planet. BUT I wouldn't recommend it. The best thing about it is the view from the roof terrace. But that's it. And you can get that view from most places high up in the Old City during your stay.
This place was really basic. We had a double room. I wouldn't say it was dirty but it was shabby. Cracks in walls and chunks missing etc. The worst thing was the bathroom. A room with a toilet and a shower placed above the toilet. So you basically shower, whilst sitting on the toilet. However BONUS - it was hot water and a decent shower!!!
No bedbugs but really simple, old furnihings. I read in the Lonely Planet that every room was adorned with love (or something similar). Beleive me - that couldn't be further from the truth.
With a 12pm curfew, no alcohol on premises rule, shabby rooms, I seriously would not recommend this place. However - the receptionist (a Canadian or American chap) was really friendly and went out of his way to assist us.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple