All reviewsgreat view from the roofold cityarmenian quartercommon areaswestern wallvolunteersdavid
Reviewed November 14, 2010

If you want location, Citadel Hostel has got it, situated in Old City off the beaten path from the suq on David St. We stayed in room 13 by the terrace, which provided a lovely view to the south of Old City. The accommodations were humble, but adequate. We didn't have any bed bugs, but the pillows were as thin as paper and after the second night, we started having neck problems. The bathroom stories in other reviews are true, but as long as you knew to expect it, it wasn't really a problem. The receptionists were friendly and helpful when we had questions.

I would recommend this place since we really only used it for a place to rest our heads at night, but if you're looking for a luxurious stay in Jerusalem, this place would definitely not fit the bill.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2010

I rarely give negative reviews of places I stayed in, but this is the worst hostel I've ever been. I booked a single room and they put me in a tiny, really tiny room with just one bed and almost no space at all. No hangers, no chairs, nothing!!! I felt like I was in a prison cell.

There was no window, just a hole with a curtain so transparent everyone from the corridor could see inside the room. The showers were crap, no place to hang towels/clothes. Yes, they have the rooftop where people can have nice views from the Old City, but you can have the same view walking around in some places. The man who works in the morning needs urgently to learn how to talk to people and there was another guy at night who was very helpful and nice. I don't understand what Lonely Planet saw in this place. If you want to sleep with some comfort and have a decent shower, don't go to Citadel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank ricdyin
Reviewed October 25, 2010

last weekend i stayed for 1 night in the Citadel Y.H. on the roof.

dislike
- You get an old mattress and a piece of s*** called blanket for 50 NIS.
- The total Youth Hostal is very small and the restrooms are tiny - you can have a shower and sitting on the toilett in the same time sitting....
- too much peole.
- The kitchen was dirty..no disgusting, had a really bad smell

- the view over the whole city from the roof is really impressive
BUT if you sleep there you will get up at least at 7.30 am because of really close church with a big bell.

Summarized
i recommand this hostal only people wanting to stay their one or two days.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed October 21, 2010

The ideal place to stay in Jerusalem in my view:
- Perfectly located in oldtown
- Fantastic rooftop terrasse
- Dorms can get pretty packed and hot in Summer
- Recommendation for a private room
- The view from the rooftop terrasse is simply amazing
- Just a 10 min walk to the nightlife district of Jerusalem outside oldtown

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed September 9, 2010

In early September, Citadel asked me for an unusually large deposit & then refused to return it when I had to change my plans and stay somewhere else. Another reviewer said, "The head honcho is foul" and this was my experience of him.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo