All reviews old city armenian quarter great view from the roof common areas western wall volunteers david
Reviewed December 28, 2010

We were during Christmas and the place was absolutely overcrowded. This is obvious due to christmas time, nevertheless the management was ruthless in accepting so many guests. Prices were also high: We paid 450 shekkels there, this is a lot of money compared for example to the "austrian hospice", which cost 380 (breakfast included!). Rooms have many damages (curtains, beds, windows, paints).
Moreover the management is not willing to give money back in case of any change in your staying. I've heard many guests quarrelling with mgmt and I also lost 110 shekkel because I changed from "dormitor" to "private room".
My advice: don't go there.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2010

Probably the worst place we ever stayed ever!

We stayed in room n 13. Room looked creepy and stinky. toilet smelled horribly bad with shower rain right on the top of the W.C., very nice.. the entire room was falling apart!!!!!!!!!!please believe me!!! u would waste your money!

We arrived in at 5:30 am and the owner (i guess) would not check us in cause it was too early, even though there was no one in the room and it was ready!
So he offered us to stay in another double room for 5/6 hours til check in time for 200 shekels!!

I don't get the people that are writing good things about this place! don't trust them at alllllllllllllllll, you will regret! Its expensive and the staff is very unpolite.
Not again Citadel Hostel, NOT AGAIN!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2010

If you want location, Citadel Hostel has got it, situated in Old City off the beaten path from the suq on David St. We stayed in room 13 by the terrace, which provided a lovely view to the south of Old City. The accommodations were humble, but adequate. We didn't have any bed bugs, but the pillows were as thin as paper and after the second night, we started having neck problems. The bathroom stories in other reviews are true, but as long as you knew to expect it, it wasn't really a problem. The receptionists were friendly and helpful when we had questions.

I would recommend this place since we really only used it for a place to rest our heads at night, but if you're looking for a luxurious stay in Jerusalem, this place would definitely not fit the bill.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2010

I rarely give negative reviews of places I stayed in, but this is the worst hostel I've ever been. I booked a single room and they put me in a tiny, really tiny room with just one bed and almost no space at all. No hangers, no chairs, nothing!!! I felt like I was in a prison cell.

There was no window, just a hole with a curtain so transparent everyone from the corridor could see inside the room. The showers were crap, no place to hang towels/clothes. Yes, they have the rooftop where people can have nice views from the Old City, but you can have the same view walking around in some places. The man who works in the morning needs urgently to learn how to talk to people and there was another guy at night who was very helpful and nice. I don't understand what Lonely Planet saw in this place. If you want to sleep with some comfort and have a decent shower, don't go to Citadel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank ricdyin
Reviewed October 25, 2010

last weekend i stayed for 1 night in the Citadel Y.H. on the roof.

dislike
- You get an old mattress and a piece of s*** called blanket for 50 NIS.
- The total Youth Hostal is very small and the restrooms are tiny - you can have a shower and sitting on the toilett in the same time sitting....
- too much peole.
- The kitchen was dirty..no disgusting, had a really bad smell

- the view over the whole city from the roof is really impressive
BUT if you sleep there you will get up at least at 7.30 am because of really close church with a big bell.

Summarized
i recommand this hostal only people wanting to stay their one or two days.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends