“This place is a disgrace”

Citadel Youth Hostel
Reviewed 4 January 2011

I am joining this site just to report how bad this place is.

They lost my booking (after taking my credit card details) overcharged me (in cash, but it was too late to find another place), tried to put me in a non-bed, then on the roof, then didn't record the second night of my stay. Their printer was broken so I didn't have a receipt to prove my original payment. They had to bump another guy (to the roof, in winter) to give me a bed. Cost me a good night's sleep. Oh wait no it didn't because the rooms here are overcrowded with makeshift beds and noise/light from the hang out spot where people (understandably) chat about their travels.

Come to the reception here and listen to the conversations had at the front desk, it's the same thing over and over again here

• Stayed: January 2011
2  Thank Lindsayts

Reviewed 31 December 2010

Stayed in a single - which is the size of a coffin. Though you have walls, you don't really have privacy, as the walls are thin and the hallways outside of the doors are lined with sleeping bags of those paying 'dorm' prices I guess. (maybe the upstairs rooms have more privacy, not sure). Bathrooms were pretty dirty as lots of people had to use only two available bathrooms. It is a good location and as I had no other place to stay I was lucky to at least have gotten the single, rather than sleep on the floor. They do have a computer to check the internet for free, though there is often a wait.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank move360
Reviewed 30 December 2010

I have over 25 years of international travel under my belt and I've stayed in all sorts of accommodations, from the Riffelalp in Zermatt to a room above a cathouse in Mexico. Having spent many weeks in India, I can assure you that there is not much that surprises or disturbs me. Yet, nothing makes me more upset than being taken for a ride.

The Citadel youth hostel in Jerusalem is a complete scam. A dirty, cold, run down and poorly furnished double room with a shoe box bathroom which should cost 10 USD, will run you 120 USD at the Citadel.

The hostel gets a lot of visitors due to a misleading review in the lonely planet. Hence the owners feel entitled to charge a lot and deliver nothing in return. Save your money and your nerves, book a room somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank traveller4life23
Reviewed 28 December 2010

We were during Christmas and the place was absolutely overcrowded. This is obvious due to christmas time, nevertheless the management was ruthless in accepting so many guests. Prices were also high: We paid 450 shekkels there, this is a lot of money compared for example to the "austrian hospice", which cost 380 (breakfast included!). Rooms have many damages (curtains, beds, windows, paints).
Moreover the management is not willing to give money back in case of any change in your staying. I've heard many guests quarrelling with mgmt and I also lost 110 shekkel because I changed from "dormitor" to "private room".
My advice: don't go there.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2010

Probably the worst place we ever stayed ever!

We stayed in room n 13. Room looked creepy and stinky. toilet smelled horribly bad with shower rain right on the top of the W.C., very nice.. the entire room was falling apart!!!!!!!!!!please believe me!!! u would waste your money!

We arrived in at 5:30 am and the owner (i guess) would not check us in cause it was too early, even though there was no one in the room and it was ready!
So he offered us to stay in another double room for 5/6 hours til check in time for 200 shekels!!

I don't get the people that are writing good things about this place! don't trust them at alllllllllllllllll, you will regret! Its expensive and the staff is very unpolite.
Not again Citadel Hostel, NOT AGAIN!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2010

If you want location, Citadel Hostel has got it, situated in Old City off the beaten path from the suq on David St. We stayed in room 13 by the terrace, which provided a lovely view to the south of Old City. The accommodations were humble, but adequate. We didn't have any bed bugs, but the pillows were as thin as paper and after the second night, we started having neck problems. The bathroom stories in other reviews are true, but as long as you knew to expect it, it wasn't really a problem. The receptionists were friendly and helpful when we had questions.

I would recommend this place since we really only used it for a place to rest our heads at night, but if you're looking for a luxurious stay in Jerusalem, this place would definitely not fit the bill.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2010

I rarely give negative reviews of places I stayed in, but this is the worst hostel I've ever been. I booked a single room and they put me in a tiny, really tiny room with just one bed and almost no space at all. No hangers, no chairs, nothing!!! I felt like I was in a prison cell.

There was no window, just a hole with a curtain so transparent everyone from the corridor could see inside the room. The showers were crap, no place to hang towels/clothes. Yes, they have the rooftop where people can have nice views from the Old City, but you can have the same view walking around in some places. The man who works in the morning needs urgently to learn how to talk to people and there was another guy at night who was very helpful and nice. I don't understand what Lonely Planet saw in this place. If you want to sleep with some comfort and have a decent shower, don't go to Citadel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo