All reviewsgreat view from the roofold cityarmenian quartercommon areaswestern wallvolunteersdavid
Reviewed January 5, 2011

This place was so overbooked and crowded , they wanted to put us on the roof in the freezing cold! They put over 30 matresses all in a bad condition everywhere aaround the hostel and wanted 20 euros a night . They even had mattresses outside the common toilets. No area to even stand .

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank 124,567
Reviewed January 4, 2011

I am joining this site just to report how bad this place is.

They lost my booking (after taking my credit card details) overcharged me (in cash, but it was too late to find another place), tried to put me in a non-bed, then on the roof, then didn't record the second night of my stay. Their printer was broken so I didn't have a receipt to prove my original payment. They had to bump another guy (to the roof, in winter) to give me a bed. Cost me a good night's sleep. Oh wait no it didn't because the rooms here are overcrowded with makeshift beds and noise/light from the hang out spot where people (understandably) chat about their travels.

Come to the reception here and listen to the conversations had at the front desk, it's the same thing over and over again here

• Stayed: January 2011
2  Thank Lindsayts
Reviewed December 31, 2010

Stayed in a single - which is the size of a coffin. Though you have walls, you don't really have privacy, as the walls are thin and the hallways outside of the doors are lined with sleeping bags of those paying 'dorm' prices I guess. (maybe the upstairs rooms have more privacy, not sure). Bathrooms were pretty dirty as lots of people had to use only two available bathrooms. It is a good location and as I had no other place to stay I was lucky to at least have gotten the single, rather than sleep on the floor. They do have a computer to check the internet for free, though there is often a wait.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank move360
Reviewed December 30, 2010

I have over 25 years of international travel under my belt and I've stayed in all sorts of accommodations, from the Riffelalp in Zermatt to a room above a cathouse in Mexico. Having spent many weeks in India, I can assure you that there is not much that surprises or disturbs me. Yet, nothing makes me more upset than being taken for a ride.

The Citadel youth hostel in Jerusalem is a complete scam. A dirty, cold, run down and poorly furnished double room with a shoe box bathroom which should cost 10 USD, will run you 120 USD at the Citadel.

The hostel gets a lot of visitors due to a misleading review in the lonely planet. Hence the owners feel entitled to charge a lot and deliver nothing in return. Save your money and your nerves, book a room somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank traveller4life23
Reviewed December 28, 2010

We were during Christmas and the place was absolutely overcrowded. This is obvious due to christmas time, nevertheless the management was ruthless in accepting so many guests. Prices were also high: We paid 450 shekkels there, this is a lot of money compared for example to the "austrian hospice", which cost 380 (breakfast included!). Rooms have many damages (curtains, beds, windows, paints).
Moreover the management is not willing to give money back in case of any change in your staying. I've heard many guests quarrelling with mgmt and I also lost 110 shekkel because I changed from "dormitor" to "private room".
My advice: don't go there.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple