“Great deal in Jerusalem - free 3 1/2 hour walking tour (Sandeman tour)”

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Jerusalem
Jerusalem Three Religions Mount of Olives Walking Tour
Ranked #3 of 237 Tours in Jerusalem
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Rain or shine, a free tour starts at 11:00 & 14:00 every day.
Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great deal in Jerusalem - free 3 1/2 hour walking tour (Sandeman tour)”
Reviewed 19 September 2009

Taking the free 3 1/2 hour Sandemann walking tour in Jerusalem was an excellent way to learn the Old City. It meets outside the Jaffa Gate in front of the Tourism Office at 11 AM ande 3:30 PM - just look for the people in the red shirts. I always do my own tours but made an exception in Jerusalem - it was a good choice. You get so much background in a place that has so much history, and the presentation was as neutral as could be, considering all the passion Jerusalem can invoke. You take in sites that are purely historical as well as sites that have religious significance. We took the Old City free tour one day (the guides work for tips) and went through all 4 quarters, and then next day took the small cost Mount of Olives tour. We had the same guide both times (Dvir was great!). It would have taken a great deal of homework for me to duplicate the experience on my own, and I am predisposed to creating my own tours. Extremely good value - especially if you are traveling as a family!

11 Thank RonBonine

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Israel
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed 18 July 2009

Spare yourself the not so witty guide trying too hard to earn tips.. You can do this, at your own pace,with the most rudimentary guide book or a bit of research from sites like TA.

6 Thank libidess
SANDEMANs_NEW_Europe, Manager at SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Jerusalem, responded to this review, 29 April 2010
Yes, you can pull out a guide book and work your way through a city, but you'll miss so much. Having a trained guide showing you around a city (especially one with as much history as Jerusalem) has enormous benefits, not the least of which is that you won't find yourself lost in some back alley! Going on a tour isn't just about finding your way from point A to point B--it's about the history, the stories, the daily life of residents. Our guides are passionate about Jerusalem, and they work hard to share that passion with everyone who comes on one of our tours.

The beauty of the FREE Tour system, is that guides have an incentive to work harder in order to give you best possible tour. I'm sorry that you don't have a sense of humor and didn't appreciate your guide's wit, but as other reviewers have said (and as we've seen in numerous publications) we consistently have some of the most entertaining and charismatic guides in the business.
Boston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Perfect Overview and Orientation”
Reviewed 13 December 2008

I arrived in Jerusalem in the morning and made my way to Jaffa's gate for the the Free Tour. I wanted to get an orientation and then I could go back and see things on my own. It was PERFECT for this. It doesn't give a lot a detail, but it helps you get your bearings and figure out what you want to see. The tour guide was very upbeat and willing to answer questions. I highly recommend the Free Tour as your jumping off point!!!

11 Thank amiguinho