“Not good value for money if you're staying in a single room”

New Palm Hotel & Hostel
Dublin
“Not good value for money if you're staying in a single room”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Let me say 2 things first. From what I gleaned, Israel is expensive when it comes to accommodation, hence my booking this hostel at the last minute. Secondly, the location is excellent and in the Arab quarter which is much cheaper when it comes to eating out. The room for which I paid 40 Euro was a bit pathetic. The owner said he would upgrade me from 37 to 40 Euro for a "deluxe" room on the other side of the hostel. Is there a word for the opposite of deluxe? I didn't stay for the breakfast in the morning as I headed out early and it only began at 8am. And from what someone had previously written, it was a kind of holiday resort for bacteria so I declined the sumptuous feast and headed off. I rarely do hostels and compared to one hostel I stayed in Brooklyn in NYC, this was the Four Seasons, but from having met people whilst in Jerusalem, I concluded that there are better hostels in Jerusalem.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank jamsie65

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Vladivostok, Russia
Reviewed 31 March 2012

In the beginning the room was 250 ILS. After I arrived and installed the price raised to 300 ILS (thanks to government taxes!) but it was too late to find another one. The room had no windows but they promised a better one the day after - what didn't happpen. For breakfast there was no milk nor juice - only tea and something they call coffee. The smell of the towels ...
OK - the location is great but that´s not enough

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank pmelo61

Travellers are raving about these Jerusalem hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 February 2012

When we arrived the owner quoted us a price that was twice as much as the quote we were given when we booked. Then, due to mysterious 'exchange rate issues' we were charged another exorbitant fee on top of that.

The whole time the owner pleaded his innocence, claiming we were the ones at fault. It's not worth the hassle. Sure it's situated close to the old city but do you really want to deal with this crap when you're on holiday...?

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank James2012abc
Reviewed 10 January 2012

The hostel is located few meters away from the Damascus gate,the location is perfect for buses,old town,food and anything you wish. We were planing to stay there for only 1day,but since the location,the staff and the people who live in the hostel were so great we decided to stay there for another extra 3 days .thank you palm hostel for this unforgettable experience,please don't change into some posh looking hostel as we want to come back next year !

• Stayed January 2012
Damascus, Virginia
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Bed Bugs galore...! I went to the Dead Sea that day, and the itch! I looked myself in a mirror and I had so many spots all over my skin. The owner (Hatim) was in denial. So I went back to my bed and took a bug (Cimex lectularis), and put it in a cigarrette plastic wraping. He dares asking me why I brought this to his place...! The nerve. They should burn all the matresses. Then the noise. The place is NOT for the guests but for the friends and family of the owner. All day since 6 AM until 1 AM talking loud, smoking in the non-smoking areas and ocuppying the tea room and the sitting room. All the Arab shouting and arguing and the disrespect to the female guests... They even shut off the gas line couple of times so the guests wont cook and to save money...They sent me to sleep to the Petra, managed by his brother, and I saw rat traps all over the floor of the downstairs private rooms...

Room Tip: They are no good rooms.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Noel_D57658
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 25 December 2011

We booked a double room for 230NIS a night for 3 nights. Great price, except that it came with lukewarm water in the toilet (the manager insists that there's hot water 24/7) and poor drainage so the room STANK after we flushed the toilet.

We were received by Alex, a staff member, who was very pushy and insisted we needed a driver to get around Bethleham to see the attractions. As it turns out, Bethleham was a small place and we were told by the driver to walk around while he smoked at a corner. Alex also didn't mentioned that there was a public bus right outside the hostel that would take us to Bethleham centre.

The price for a Bethleham trip was advertised at the lobby for 160NIS but when he took us into the office, it became 600NIS instead because there apprarently wasn't enough people. Alex said he would refund us if more people came along to split the cost. However, there was no refund when another guest came on the trip.

We would have moved to another hostel if not for the fact that I paid by mastercard and they refused to give a refund.

By far the WORST hostel I've ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Don't pick this hostel. Walk around - there are plenty of other hostels dotting the same locatio...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank da-phish
Vildbjerg, Denmark
Reviewed 9 December 2011

The leader of the hotel required more in the payment of stay than agreed with us. The staff there was nice and comfy. I hope the hotel has become a better leader.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends