“5 Star Stay in Israel...”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Jerusalem
Ranked #38 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
Morristown, Tennessee
“5 Star Stay in Israel...”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I just returned home from my 15th trip to Israel. I had a tour group of 70 people and 5 of the nights of our tour we stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Jerusalem. It was a fantastic experience. The food, the staff, and the shops were all first rate. Akram Khweis, one of the Manager's on duty was particularly helpful. Other great staff members were Beni, the Concierge, Abdullah at the restaurant, and shop owners Ezekiel, Hani, and Sammy. The rooms were clean and everyone had a great time. I also liked being near the Kinneset.

Pastor Dean Haun
First Baptist Church Morristown, TN

Room Tip: All the rooms have spectacular views of Jerusalem.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Dean H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
rehovot
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I stay in the hotel for four days. The first day an absolute strange man come in with his own magnetic kay, and told me is his room, and he left his suitcase there.
When I ask in the front desk how is possible, never recieve an answer...
I wrote to the general manager one week ago, and never recieve an answer.
It seems to me that after you pay, they forget you.
Choose another hotel, if you can.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Yoyo94
Sheley13, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Jerusalem, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear Guest,
First let me thank you for choosing to stay at the "Crowne Plaza" Jerusalem Hotel.
It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and facilities and we sincerely apologize if we fell short on this case.. Please contact us on email address: jm_gmsec@hiil.co.il to further discuss the matters mention. We hope that you will continue choosing "Crowne Plaza" Jerusalem hotel for your future lodging needs.
london
Reviewed 28 March 2012

terrible hotel however you look at it, nice lobby, nice size rooms, but very very very and another very bad service and rude staff and I have stayed 5 times. avoid at all costs unless cheaper then a one star hotel. One example, I checked in and my room a "superior room" had a filthy toilet, i told them i was goign out and could they clean it for when I returned, when I returned 6 hours later it was not clean, I called down and was todl it was after 11pm and they could not deal with it as too late. When I complained to the manager, he blaimed me for not complainign earlier ! I showed him the picture etc. he told em to write in and that same front desk manager replied and offered me 10% of my next booking, and gave me no apology, this is ojn example of this discusting hotel ! avoid it.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Givemeaholiday
Sherwood Park, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Loved staying here, on the 16th floor, and what an amazing view. The rooms were unique, the bed was comfortable, and the staff were very accommodating. Todah Rabah! THANK YOU! The dining experience was great, the food delicious, and although very busy at times, the staff did everything they could to accomodate our tour group. Great variety too!
Thanks for a great place to stay!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Lioness777017
Sheley13, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Jerusalem, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for choosing "Crowne Plaza" Jerusalem hotel and for your thoughtful comments regarding your recent stay with us. Your comments will be shared with our Management, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make our guests stay as special as possible. We will be looking forward to the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs.
California/Norway
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I have been to Jerusalem many times now, so it was no surprise that I would enjoy the trip. But it was the first time at Crowne Plaza, and I am absolutely coming back to stay here also next time. Entire stay was enjoyable, everything from parking security through the internet connection to the breakfast and checkout the next day all very good. My only suggestion to the management would be to give the employees something more to smile about - they have plenty reason to, they are doing a great job, but it appeared to be no-one who had told them in a while. Give them all a great pat on the back. Job well done, great place. I will be back.

Ah, one thing: Upgrade the irons in the room, need steam irons - but short of that everything was perfect.

Room Tip: My room at the 15th floor, with great view of the fantastic city, was absolutely great.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank eggestad
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I'm appalled that such a reputable company could come off so incredibly seedy and disgusting. This is the worst hotel experience I have ever had. Since my unfortunate stay, I gave the management and customer service at both the hotel itself, and IHG corporate ample time to make amends for my completely unacceptable stay – and the issue was not addressed.

After over 30 hours traveling from the U.S. to Jerusalem, my accommodations fell through. So, at approximately 10:00 PM I got online and booked a reservation for the Crowne Plaza arriving on the 11th of February (that evening) and departing on the 12th, because I stayed there once before and it seemed like a safe, comfortable place for me to stay while I decided what to do next.

When I checked in to the hotel at 2:00 AM, the attendant at the front desk said he didn't see any reservation for me. He said that I'd have to pay at the regular room rate rather than the price I had received online from my reservation ($150). After showing him my email reservation confirmation, he obliged at the rate I was given on the email. He was actually very nice and understanding and I don't have any complaints about how he dealt with the check in situation.

When I got to the hotel room (#1121) it had a sign outside that said "Security Room"...I have no idea what that meant but it seemed bizarre. When I entered, I was appalled by the so called "5 Star" status of the hotel. The carpets were dirty and hadn't been vacuumed, there were stains on the lamp shades and curtains, the furniture was peeling, there was a hole in the wall, holes in the sheets, the room stank of smoke, and the bathroom was dirty. It looked as if the room had been abandoned, and there were no traces of housekeeping except for a few toiletries in the bathroom. I'm not sure if my previous stay in May had been in an upgraded room, but the room I received this time around was not comparable to my expectations from my previous stay. I was hugely disappointed with the condition of the room. This, however, ended up being the least of my concerns.

As soon as I walked in the phone on the desk in the room started ringing. I thought it was the front desk making sure I made it to my room alright so I picked up the phone. No answer. This continued 5 or so times before I gave up, took a shower, and climbed into bed. At 4:00 AM, the phone rang again and woke me up. I picked up, and in a heavy accent somebody asked me which room I was in. I said "1121", thinking that this was somebody with the hotel. It was hard for me to hear what the person on the other end was asking for. Eventually I realized he was asking me "If I wanted free sex...oral, anal, anything." I was shocked and appalled, and felt extremely unsafe and uncomfortable - which was the main reason I chose to stay at the Crowne Plaza. I asked the guy on the phone if this was a joke, and he was dead serious. I told him I was disgusted, and not to call me back. He asked "why?" and I was astounded by the audacity of the question. Wasn't it obvious? The phone continued to ring a few more times.

Shaking because I was terrified of this person on the other line, who now knew which room I was staying in, I called the front desk from the other phone that was sitting on the bed stand. The receptionist said that nobody could call in to that line and so it was obviously a mistake. And that if I felt uncomfortable then I should just take the phone off the hook and ignore the calls (which I did). But, honestly? That was the best response or resolution to the problem? I'm a young, single girl in a foreign country, receiving strange propositions on the hotel room phone from some unknown source at 4:00 in the morning who won’t stop calling, and the resolution was to tell me to ignore it?

I asked him if that room (because it didn't seem like the previous room I'd stayed at in May and it had a "security room" sign outside the door), was used for other purposes. Perhaps people seeking the services that were offered to me? His answer seemed vague and was confusing, but ultimately he said no. Whether or not that is the truth I will never know. Nor do I really care.

Because I didn't feel safe in the situation, I made an emergency call to my friend in Tel Aviv, and explained that I felt unsafe. As a huge inconvenience to him, he obliged to pick me up and take me somewhere that I would feel safe. At 4:15 as he left Tel Aviv, I began to pack my bags to leave the hotel. When he arrived at 5:00 AM, I went down to the lobby to check out of the room and to say that I was dissatisfied with the visit. Obviously my intention was not to stay for a mere 3 hours...but I knew that
I wouldn't have been able to get any sleep staying in a place where I thought my safety was compromised.

At the front desk the receptionist said that he was unable to refund my money, but could now switch my hotel room (which he hadn't offered on the phone)...which wasn't much consolation now that I was questioning my security in that place, now that my friend had already driven 45 minutes from Tel Aviv, and now that check out was 6 hours away and I wouldn't be able to sleep anyway. I understand that the receptionist probably had a protocol to follow and can only make certain allowances, but I've never felt so violated staying at a hotel and so concerned for my safety. Either way...it was a completely unacceptable 3 hour stay.

I asked for the General Manager's contact information and left the premises, completely dissatisfied. Since my “stay” over a month and a half ago, I have contacted IHG Corporate customer service, I have called and emailed the management at the hotel, and I have only received a response from IHG that they forwarded my concerns to the hotel management.

When I called the hotel on multiple occasions – I was disconnected repeatedly, sent to extensions that were not working, and given the run around. When I finally got a hold of the GM’s assistant, she assured me she would respond to my email, and if not to call her back in a week. I never heard back so I called her a week after and she told me she would call me she wasn’t at her desk and she would call me back in a half hour. That didn’t happen so I called her again a week later, and she picked up and then the phone went silent. I tried calling her again right after and there was no answer. I can only imagine this is an issue that they don’t want to deal with.

Given how bizarre the situation was, I wanted to give the management an opportunity to make any explanations (if there were any), and to simply refund my one night stay since I was only there for a mere 3 hours. Since they have not made any effort to amend the situation, I have no choice but to go public with this information and warn others about my experience at the hotel. I feel they have a complete disregard for the security of their guests and the credibility of their establishment.

I highly recommend that you choose an alternative hotel when looking in Jerusalem.

Room Tip: IF you still happen to want to stay here, since I've seen a great contrast in their rooms - from...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank tablelesstravelled
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2012

The Crowne Plaza Hotel is beautifully located to explore all the sites of Jerusalem. The lobby is very beautiful. Hotel staff is very friendly and helpful.
All the staff were very nice: when I walked through the front doors, at check-in, everytime I walked in or out of the hotel, at breakfast in the main restaurant.
Thank you Crowne Plaza Hotel !!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple