“Very good, but at these prices it should be Great”

The American Colony Hotel
Ranked #10 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the American Colony - its reputation proceeded it by a country mile and, checking the visitor's book, this certainly is the hotel of choice if you're rich, famous, or in town trying to bring about peace in the Middle East.

And it's so terribly interesting and full of character; spacious and atmospheric courtyards, olde buildings, bags of character and an oasis of calm in the bustling city. The great and the good pass through its doors, a stone's throw from the old city. Years of history blended with modern comforts etc etc.

But while it sits rightly as a feature of the city in itself, I don't think it's quite kept up with the latest in the hospitality industry. While my room was absolutely humongous; it was also a little drab, and a bit cold. Reprogramming the heating was a bit like trying to pilot an Apollo capsule to the surface of the moon. And while I liked having a beer in the courtyard, and loved that it came with a selection of local olives & pickles, I had to wait about 10 minutes for it to turn up, and then another 10 minutes to persuade someone to take my money so I could leave, which is just a bit rubbish. There was free wireless (tick), but it only really worked within 10 yards of the reception desk (cross).

I know, I know - it's a historic institution and I should stop complaining that it's not a modern hotel and soak up the history. I did that - and give it 4 stars as a result. It misses the fifth one because it could actually do better.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Yasunde
General M, General Manager at The American Colony Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the American Colony Hotel on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

We are certainly proud to be a part of Jerusalem’s history and do our part to maintain and preserve our unique buildings, whilst providing all the needs for the most demanding modern traveller. I am concerned to read that you had problems with our complimentary WiFi. This should be available throughout the hotel and I will ask my IT department to double check our wireless networks. We also provide free corded broadband in many of the rooms for your added security.

I was also concerned to read about the wait you had in our Courtyard Restaurant. I can assure you I will personally follow this up with my Food and Beverage Manager and his team.

Once again thanks for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back in person to the American Colony in the near future, and to restore your faith in the hotel and us.

There are newer reviews for The American Colony Hotel

Reviewed 5 January 2012

I went there last summer. Be aware that the Hotel is next to a mosque. Some of the rooms are directly next to the loudspeaker. The prayers will wake you up before 5 a.m. and again shortly after 6 a.m. Not very relaxing.
The staff was not what I expected. They were bored and not very helpful (for example I once asked the lady at the reception to send a taxi to pick me up after a bike ride at 1 am in the morning, and while I asked I already knew that she just said yes but wouldn't do so - guess what... I came back from the bike ride, no taxi).

The waiters in the restaurant were nice guys but not professionells. I have experienced a much better service in other hotels in Isreal, eg Dan or King David. Much, much better.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank JanaE00
General M, General Manager at The American Colony Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the American Colony Hotel on Tripadvisor, from your stay with us in August of last year. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is positive or negative, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

You are correct in writing that the hotel is situated next to a Mosque, as are many other hotels and attractions in multi cultural Jerusalem. Many of our rooms are further away from the Muezzin, and if a Guest requests, we always do our best to provide a room not facing the Mosque.

I am most concerned to read of the unusual issues you experienced during your stay, with our reception and restaurant staff. We pride ourselves on the standard of product and service we provide at the American Colony Hotel, which makes it all the more disappointing to read that we have let ourselves down on this occasion. Although your stay was last Summer and I hope we have already put right the issues you mentioned, I can assure you that I will again bring your comments to the attention of my Reception Manager and Food & Beverage Manager and their teams. It is a shame that you did not bring these matters to my (or my teams) attention during your stay, rather than six months later, as I am sure we would have been able to rectify any problems at the time.

Please accept my sincere apologies that on this occasion we did not meet the high standards to which we aspire and I look forward to welcoming you back in person to the American Colony in the near future, and to restore your faith in the hotel and us.

Thomas Brugnatelli

Reviewed 28 December 2011

We were fortunate enough to be upgrade to a beautiful suite. The hotel is an oasis of calm and a tremendous location to explore Jerusalem from. Tranquil pool area . Excellent food. All in all one could not wish for more.

Room Tip: Get a suite if your budget will run to it
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank TheEvaluatorLondon
Reviewed 26 December 2011

This was not my first visit to this unique hotel, and I was looking forward to staying there on a special family occasion. They've become part of Leading Hotels of the World, so my expectations were quite high. Overall we had a good stay, but it was somewhat below our expectations. The rooms, which are quite unique (in the main building they are part of what used to be a Turkish palace), are relatively small. Maintenance could be improved, and there is noise starting early in the morning from the nearby Mosque. Prices are quite high, and therefore I rated the value as average.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the side facing the Mosque.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Aviad M
Reviewed 18 December 2011

I have travelled around the globe and stayed in some beautiful well organised hotels, the American Colony Hotel tops them all. The location is very close to the old city of Jerusalem. The hotel is a magnificent old building complex with well appointed spacey beautiful rooms an excellent Restaurant offering international cuisine and a very cosy bar with the most fantastic selections of whiskeys. The employees are going the extra mile to exceed your expectations with a professional yet very friendly touch. We stayed in that hotel for three days and we were wondering when the General Manager is taking his brake, this fellow was always around. I congratulate him and his team for a job very well done. We all have decided that we will be back in March 2011.
PS. The Christmas decoration is simply gorgeous and underlines the spirit of festivity in this exciting breathtaking city of Jerusalem.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 61 which has the biggest bathroom that I have ever seen in a hotel. This room has a...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 December 2011

We stayed at the American Colony in late November 2011. Beautiful setting, great breakfast buffet, but our room was our least favorite on our 3 week Middle East trip. The rooms were very simple with an old bed and bed linens. The bathroom lighting was terrible...luckily I didn't have to shave here. If you want to be close to the Damascus gate this is a good place to stay. The highly recommended gift shop is a rip off. He overcharged us for post cards and stamps. I'm used to "Hyatt" service and unfortunately, the American Colony doesn't quite match up.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ted C
General M, General Manager at The American Colony Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2011

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review of our hotel and the positive comments you made regarding the hotels setting and buffet breakfast.
I was concerned to read about the problems you encountered in your room. Regarding the lighting in the bathroom. We use energy saving bulbs throughout the hotel, and these can take up to 2 minutes to provide maximum light. There are also two switches just outside the bathroom, one for general bathroom lighting and one for over the mirror and basin area.
Regarding the bed and linens. This is most unusual as we replace both our beds and bedding at regular intervals, however I will be reviewing these specific comments with my Housekeeping Manager and his team to ensure no oversight occurred.
Regarding the Giftshop. The shops within the hotel set their own prices but they should reflect normal market prices. Although we have never been made aware of any of our shops overcharging, we will take immediate steps to check and rectify this based on your review.

Reviewed 13 December 2011

The old hotel was as charming as anticipated, and location was ideal. Food was very good, and available every day. The negatives are about the bill. Initially, I was told there were no rooms with two beds, even though I had reserved a double and specified two beds. After several minutes of negotiating, I was told that because I was a first-time guest, I could have a room with two beds for $100 more per night. I had prepaid through a third-party agency, so I agreed and was surprised at check-out three days later to be presented with a bill for the total room charges. After calling attention to the error, I waited for a correct bill, only to find yet another glaring error - a charge for airport pickup by the hotel "driver" for which I had grossly overpaid in cash.

Room Tip: Not a good place for people with mobility issues. Ask for top floor for best views.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank tthfairy
General M, General Manager at The American Colony Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2011

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the American Colony Hotel on Tripadvisor, from your stay with us. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is positive or negative, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

I am most concerned to read of the unusual issues you experienced during check out. We pride ourselves on the standard of product and service we provide at The American Colony Hotel, which makes it all the more disappointing to read that we have let ourselves down on this occasion.
Regarding the room charge, we have protocols in place to ensure that when a room is prepaid through a third party, they cannot be re-invoiced through the hotel.
The airport pick up charge was a mistake made in the information provided to the driver. We have negotiated a discounted rate for pre ordered pick ups from the airport. If the driver is not aware of the pre order, he charges the regular rate.
I have already met with my Front Office Manager, and she has addressed her team on both of these issues.