“Horrible rude male staff, loud noises at night from kitchen staff”

The American Colony Hotel
Ranked #12 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel 4 nights with my mother in January, Things started out well when we checked into this hotel. On the 3rd night however I couldn't sleep when I laid down at 12am because I heard loud clanking from the area downstairs to the point that the wall was vibrating behind the bed. I called the front desk and complained every 30 minutes and finally they found the problem was the dishwasher was smashing dishes around this late at night!

After not sleeping most the night and canceling half of my tour for the next morning for needing to sleep in I informed the front desk staff I will be checking out a day early because of this horrible experience. The woman at the front desk was extremely apologetic and informed her manager I intended to leave as she called me when I returned to the room. I also advised her why I was leaving and she also was extremely apologetic and offered to upgrade me for the evening. When I said I wasn't interested she asked me to please at least check out the room she was offering. It was indeed an amazing room and we agreed to stay in the upgraded room the last night while paying the rate for the original room we booked. She even arranged to have our bags moved for us while we started our now half day tour.

When we returned I was confronted by the man at the front desk on my way to the restaurant who informed me I needed to pay now for my incidentals. I told him I left a card when I checked in and to charge that card. He informed me the hotel mistakingly released this charge and couldn't charge it again. I informed him I will talk to the manager in the morning who I had spoke with that morning. He laughed with a Cheshire cat grin and agreed that would be fine. We then went sat to eat he and all he male waiters gathered and talked about us for our entire meal about 10 meters from our table. I know this because they glared at us most the evening, pointed several times towards the building we moved to and also talked about our taxi driver who also complained to the desk after hearing our story. It was a miserable evening and had I known this was going to happen I would have just left like I planned on doing.

I straightened out the bill when I checked out in the morning (like most hotel guests do) and was on my way. This is a very nice hotel but the male staff is lacking especially 2nd shift. If you stay don't deal with them and if you eat in the hotel ask for the female waitress. She's amazing and very friendly.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank cxbonne
General M, General Manager at The American Colony Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the American Colony Hotel on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

I am most concerned to read of the disturbances you experienced during your third night at the hotel. We pride ourselves on the standard of product and service we provide at The American Colony Hotel, which makes it all the more disappointing to read that we have let ourselves down on this occasion.

I am pleased to note that my Reservations Manager upgraded you from standard singles for the rest of your stay and that you had the pleasure of experiencing our newly renovated Penthouse Suites.

Further to your review, my Food and Beverage Manager and I are following up as to why there were noises coming from the kitchen area at that time and will do our best to ensure that a disturbance such as this does not happen in the future. I will also personally follow up with my department heads regarding the difficulties you encountered with the check out procedure.

Please accept my sincere apologies that on this occasion we did not meet the high standards to which we aspire and I look forward to welcoming you back in person to the American Colony in the near future, and to restore your faith in the hotel and us.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas Brugnatelli

Write a ReviewReviews (1,082)

Reviewed 6 March 2012

Nice little space of luxury and boutique hotel, excellent restaurant and hideaway bar, breakfast also very good and large spread to choose from for every taste. A little expensive but well worth the service and comfort in detail.

Room Tip: Look for the East wing, big bedrooms and bathrooms, heated bathroom floor for winters, large king si...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Tratstravels
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We spent three days in this hotel and we had really a good time.
The room was over the swimming pool and very quiet (maybe because of winter season).
The bathroom was spacious.
The atmosphere of the hotel is very nice since is not a big anonymous hotel, but really a charming hotel.
The breakfast was good as well as the dinner (we had dinner one evening in the hotel), but the dinner was a little bit expensive.
The location of the hotel is really good; we left the car in the parking, since we were walking distance from the old city

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mauro A
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I spent three nights at the American Colony in mid February. On checkin I was upgraded to a Deluxe Pasha Suite not more than 50 feet from the hotel entrance. It was very spacious, with a comfortable bed and an enormous bathroom and was very quiet notwithstanding its location. The front desk was extremely helpful in finding ATMs, recommending tours and arranging for taxi drivers. The taxi drivers at the hotel were great for trips to the museums and to Bethlehem (the hotel sets the price for the trip and the price per hour for the trip). The immediate neighborhood around the hotel is not so interesting (no restaurants or shops), so using the taxis was a big part of my stay here (it poured down rain most of this stay so I didn't want to hike to the light rail). The breakfast buffet was well stocked with lots of options for food. Dinner was good although expensive for what it was. It is a nice splurge on a vacation.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank JWm65
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed at American Colony in july-011 . Service were excellent - we were 18 hours delayed. but still picked up at the airport.

Rooms were oki - but at the most 3 stars, Atmosphere and food at this famous hotel definetely 5 star. Pool area, garden bar and location of American Colony is superb.

We will most definetely be back !!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Lovetrave
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I stayed here for 3 night in 2011 during asingle trip to Jerusalem.

The room had the feel of being a home away from home. It had a simple momochrome art deco style and had all features I wanted.

Food service etc was unpretentious and professional.

I will definitely try to stay here if back in the region.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank EuroTravellerPG
Reviewed 13 February 2012

As you step in, you feel like you're in another country, if not another world. Ancient charm surrounds you with luxury and tranquility.
We had a penthouse suite at the east house. It was one of the most beautiful hotel rooms I ever stayed in. Spacious with a huge pampering bathroom. The kind of place you don't want to leave. Hotel staff was polite and responsive. The bar is great.
It is within short distance from the old city, although for those who know Jerusalem – there is no reason to go anywhere beyond the cool bar. What a perfect romantic weekend!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple